New Haswell Celerons - Specifically G1820 - For sale yet?

phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
Does anyone have any idea about the release status of the Celeron G1820? I heard it was supposed to be Q1 of 2014 but saw an article from a month and a half ago that said it (along with 2 siblings) was released in December. This is all I see on newegg: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116974. I just get the impression they aren't being sold yet or they are brand brand new (no reviews and no pic on newegg??). Micro center doesn't have them at all. Also, I think the price is supposed to be $42 but I can't find the G1820 for sale anywhere at that price.

Anybody have a clue about status?

Comments

• I'm not sure about the Celeron but AMD is releasing a 45 watt A8-7600 that I'm excited about as a potential small form factor desktop part.

What kind of system are you building or are you upgrading existing?
  • phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited January 2014
    I'm considering building a super budget pc for home. I have a Macbook circa '10 and an iPad3 that I use primarily at home, but I'm expecting to occasionally work from home and need 2 monitors + Windows for dual monitor remote desktopping to a Win 7 Ultimate pc at work.

Basically it's like this:
    Cheap Haswell CPU for approximately $50
    Cheap 1150 motherboard with a couple Sata 6gb/s and USB3 for approx $50
    Cheap PSU for less than $50
    8GB DDR3 at 1600 (even though the CPU won't run at 1600 I figure the memory can be reused in a future build) for approx $75
    A 60GB SSD for approx $65 (and I might add an HDD that I have at some point)
    Some GPU that will let me run 2 monitors for about $40
    A $35 case

All in it's like $370 and it will be plenty for me to do what I need to. My work computer is an i3 3220 with 16GB Ram and an SSD with Win 7 and the Adobe Suite plus Office, ACT, Quickbooks, an XP VM that I always run in the background and a font manager. The thing blows me away with how fast it is. From everything I read about the new Celerons (even the Ivy Bridge 1610), it will not impact performance for what I need at home at all.

I currently have an Optiplex 380 which has a Core2Duo and 4gb of RAM and I think a 260GB HDD that I'm planning on selling to help supplement the cost of the new build.
  • http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1524856

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130662

That keeps you in budget in a similar but readily available hardware.

I'd have to do some research but I do believe there are some FM2 boards that have dual video support coming off an APU, so switch the processor to something with integrated graphics and skip the video card and you simplify the build a little. I have to see what's available in that range, but I believe that's possible, might tidy up and simplify the build a touch.

• Did some research, for your build consider something like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128652 - Mobo supports tripple monitor paired with an APU, no separate graphics card required. $59, supports USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113349

Now that would bring you under budget, if you wanted you could easily get a quad core APU with more graphics processing potential spending ballpark to what you were considering. Skip the graphics card, simplify the build a little.

I'll take a look through this stuff. Thanks for spending the time. I'm not sure why I'm racist against AMD but for some reason I am.
    My other thought is this:
    Ivy Bridge Celeron G1620
    and then an 1155 motherboard that would be a bit cheaper.
    The newegg reviews of the G1610 are crazy. Everybody is shocked at how much this CPU doesn't suck. And the G1620 gets a tiny bump in clock speed and is currently not any more expensive (still $42.99)
  • I do think a FM2 or FM2+ motherboard with triple monitor support built in paired with a Trinity or Richland APU is the most effective solution in your case. (Kaveri is impractical due to budget).

I build exclusively AMD, and I have my personal preferences so I completely understand that frame of mind. Intel may support dual monitors similar over the integrated HD graphics, but typically graphics performance on their APU is not as solid. Just something to consider vs. a cheap card. I mean if graphics mattered enough that you would be willing to spend to get a card that has it's own GDDR5 RAM I'd say that changes everything, but since it's budget build, you are only going to leverage DDR3 bandwidth for graphics anyway, I'd consider an APU with a board that supports multi monitor output.
    Ahh... I didn't even notice the triple monitor support onboard. That's fancy. Yeah, I'll check this out this afternoon.
    edited January 2014
    Amazon wish list:
    PC Build
    $289.05 and free shipping b/c I have Prime.

But like I said before I am going to check out the parts you suggested.