Evolve

d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
edited February 2015 in Gaming
So maybe a bit premature as release is months away, but after seeing some stuff about the game, I am "so excite, wow much hyped"

http://evolvegame.com/
http://www.gameinformer.com/p/evolve.aspx (Has more info about the game than the creator's page)
http://amzn.to/1f6Xf5N (Amazon page)

As for a bit of info about the game, the game is from the makers of the original Left 4 Dead before it was assimilated into GabeN; that is to say Turtle Rock Studios.

The basic idea of the game is to take four hunters (player controlled), and go hunt down a big ass monster (player controlled). In the start of the game the monster is "small" and weak and must hide from the hunters and eat some wildlife (like vegetables) to grow up big and strong. As the game progresses, and monster becomes bigger and stronger it evolves, based off of what kind of wildlife it has eaten, giving different appearance and abilities. The hunters all the while go from actively and aggressively hunting the monster, to becoming more defensive trying to lure the monster into traps as it is now too strong to take head-on, in most cases.

There are suppose to be different kinds of monsters with different basic looks, and basic abilities. Since the monster evolves as it eats, and changes its appearance as it goes, figuring out which giant creepy thing on the planet is the thing you are hunting or simply the thing the monsters plans eats isn't very easy.

From the DEV interviews I have seen all the Hunters know about the monster is that it wants to kill them, and they better do it quick. Each of the four hunter are different as well, each with a unique ability and personality. Some of them have abilities that let them track the monster, some to attack the monster, some to save your team from the monster. It sounds like from the info I have seen that it runs off a pseudo-RPG system with unlocks and ability choices. I don't know if these are based off leveling your player so they are permanent, or if you have to level your character in the game and it only lasts for that game. Personally I think a little of both would be best, pick your abilities and unlock new ones permanently as long as it is a side-grade and not an upgrade, as well as finding new weapons and actually upgrading your abilities in the game, farming wildlife for exp. One of the best parts of L4D was that it was purely skill based, and you didn't have to really farm points to get special abilities making players kick low level players for higher level people with better skills.

I am pretty excited for the game, which is suppose to come out some time in Fall for around 60 bucks. There are some things that could really ruin this game for me, but they are pretty specific.

SignalRahnalH102midgaRyanFodderCBJBoogalooRexxar

Comments

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I didn't click the links, but from your writeup it looks like it could be incredibly fun. If/when this happens, I'm totally in.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I am very interested. I hope this ends up being a completed release by that time (Fall). Its been a while since I've played a "finished" game like this.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I am hoping for a polished, and more randomized version of The Hidden. I have too many problems trying to get The Hidden to work with all of my friends, last time I tried all of us somehow got on different versions even though all of us downloaded from the same file.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    d3k0y said:

I don't know if these are based off leveling your player so they are permanent, or if you have to level your character in the game and it only lasts for that game. Personally I think a little of both would be best, pick your abilities and unlock new ones permanently as long as it is a side-grade and not an upgrade, as well as finding new weapons and actually upgrading your abilities in the game, farming wildlife for exp.

From the old builds we were playing, the hunter skills/unlocks were chosen at map start, and you progressed up a small skill tree as the game played out. They only lasted for the duration of the game, and let you build the kind of character you wanted to fit each circumstance.

I know the dev team were considering different ways of dealing with unlocks, including some things that might be permanent (like perks), and I think they were testing some things when they added in the hunter 'characters', but I never got a chance to see what they were doing with it.
    SO what you are saying is that you want to get a job at 2K/TurtleRock and give us all the inside goodies until this is released?

Also I am happy with how the upgrade/skills work if they are still kept that way.
    Something akin to a LoL upgrade per game system? OK.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Magic words were used: "monster" & "hunting". :rockon:
    midga
  • georgehgeorgeh Canton, MI Icrontian
    Kotaku did a dive into the gameplay:

RyanFodderTushonRahnalH102sharkydart
    This looks awesome.
    Tushon
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    Holy hell...

Can this game come out now? Just watching the trailer sent chills down my spine.
    RyanFodderTushon
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I want this so hard.
    Quick, I need to photoshop (lawl moar like MSPain) a combo of doge and Evolve.

Also I thought the logo was cool until I saw (and understood) why it is the way it is, then I was blown away
    RyanFodder
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Turtle Rock did an AMA on Reddit yesterday

Someone collected the answers together for easy reading.

-Digi

They need a booth babe nearby for scale.

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian

@d3k0y said:
    They need a booth babe nearby for scale.

Banana

SignalMAGIC

k said:
    Banana

-Digi

RahnalH102georgehUPSLynx_k
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I don't know what I expected when I searched for banana girl, but got a lot of pleasant images then this:

It wasn't what I wanted, but I think it is what this thread needed.

cola_kRahnalH102midga

A teaser trailer for... more trailers

-Digi

It worked; I want to see the other trailers.

RahnalH102

I.... really don't like the logo they came up with for this game.

Other than that, CAN'T WAIT.

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

I think it's a good design for two reasons:

• It's very clear, simple, and emphasizes the base game mechanics: 4 v 1 with the four potentially being of equal strength to the 1, and the 1 getting even stronger as time elapses.

• It's also a reference (especially in the video) for SCIENCE. Gel Electrophoresis specifically, which can be used to analyze DNA, and you know how that ties into evolution.

RyanFodder

I agree that the simple logo is good. Instantly recognizable; it conveys the message of the game.

edited April 2014

Simple is great. It's just ugly and looks cheap. Doesn't represent the level of quality in the game itself. AAA should be represented by a logo that doesn't look like it was made by a college art student with 15 minutes in photoshop.

I think it needs more elements. Just a chunky red on black set of block letters isn't enough.

I like specifically for the simplicity, modern and to the point.

Besides, they probably spent all their time designing the giant statue without the booth babes.

RahnalH102UPSLynx
  • georgehgeorgeh Canton, MI Icrontian

I'm on board with the logo - no need to add extraneous fluff when you can convey a lot about the game with a minimal elements. I thought it was clever and works well in a variety of formats & media. I don't know what I would add to it, but graphic design is not exactly a strength of mine.

Now that I think about it, I'm having a hard time coming up with a particularly complex logo for any game. Left 4 Dead is probably the most involved logotype I can think of. Mass Effect is the words with a swoosh through it, GTA 5 has a really nice play on the visual design of US currency.

Only thing I've come up with so far (like a minute) would be to grow off of what the "teaser trailer for more trailers" did and add to each square and rectangle for what that role can do. The last one would have to have key features to certain monsters but we haven't seen any of those yet so no idea what those would look like.

Hmm now I'm all curious about what other monsters there are again ...

I read a rumor based off of some concept art that one option is an insect type monster. That put a spin on it I had not thought of.

-Digi