microSD "Upgrade" Card

jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
Has anyone heard of something called "Upgrade" card with reference to a SD cards. A supplier is offering these cards. It's a 2GB "Upgrade card" but they told me that because it's an upgrade card it does not have full capacity. It only has 128MB capacity.

Just wondering if anyone else have even heard of such a thing, what is it, and what is the purpose?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I'll take "things that don't make sense" for $500, Alex.
    midgaTushon
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Not getting anything from Google. Could these be tiny little cards meant for upgrading firmware large scale or something?
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    It might help if we had more context.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Thrax said:

I'll take "things that don't make sense" for $500, Alex.

I was going to go with "How to spot a ripoff".
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    Is this kind of like how you can download more RAM?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Is it perhaps used to 'upgrade' some mobile device from 1.8GB to 2GB?

Honestly It sounds like a company who has a bunch of useless 128MB SD cards laying around, and is trying some 'creative' naming to try to get them out of inventory.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Could also be taking advantage of the difference between 2GB and 2GiB. That difference isn't quite 128MB but it's close enough for shady dealer math.
  • mertesn said:

Could also be taking advantage of the difference between 2GB and 2GiB. That difference isn't quite 128MB but it's close enough for shady dealer math.

I think what he was saying is the card only has 128M of usable space, not that it has 2G-128M usable space.... which makes this hypothesis unlikely. That's too big of a difference even for shady dealer (read: marketing) math.