If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Evangelion Stream!

BasilBasil NubcaekEngland Icrontian
So thanks to synchtube and its clones we've streamed a lot of stuff; MLP to Dai Mahou Touge and G Gundam (even marathoning 0080 War in the Pocket along the way) but the time has come for the promised stream.
The ultimate 2deep4u fuck-the-fans movie.
Blame @canti.

Not setting a date 'til I know who's interested (and who needs to watch the original series first).

But soon...
IlriyasCanti

Comments

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    IN!
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    IN!
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    I want to be in but
    Basil said:

(and who needs to watch the original series first).

I'm in that boat.

What should I do? Find on the internetz? (Would rather not. I like to stay as legal as I can be.) Buy/read the manga? Buy the original anime you speak of and marathon that?
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    Oh god. I would so IN for this.
    BuddyJ said:

"I'm so funked up"
    BuddyJBasil
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited Mar 2014

Buy Aquire the original anime you speak of and marathon that.

They're selling this for about twice what they were when I bought it years ago. The final movie alone is listed at $120 new on Amazon right now. That is outrageous. I would not buy this until after you figure out what you think of it.

• BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited Mar 2014

Buy/read the manga? Buy the original anime you speak of and marathon that?

Manga is superficially similar but has some pretty major changes ('Rebuild' movies also exist in their own continuity) so you really have to watch the original series.
    Canti said:

They're selling this for about twice what they were when I bought it years ago. The final movie alone is listed at $120 new on Amazon right now. That is outrageous.

Series and EoE have been out of print for years, prices are just stupid now and half the copies of EoE are Hong Kong bootlegs with crabstick subs.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    Please provide guide for what should be digested prior to attending this stream.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited Mar 2014
    Ignore the pretentiousness and this is a solid, succinct guide;
    tl;dr watch the original series; 'platinum' directors cut adds some content so watch that one if you can.
    RahnalH102SpectralfireChoochBandrik
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    Agree with Basil. Episodes 25 and 26 are low budget depictions of the events which occur in The End of Evangelion but I would still highly recommend watching them before EoE. Death and Rebirth adds nothing and is just confusing, skip it.
    Basil
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    tl;dr: watch platinum episodes 1-24, then End of Evangelion.
    BuddyJ
    edited Mar 2014
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Alright. I'm in. I'm going to get to work on the original series. You drew a line in the sand, Basil, and I'm gonna step.
    BasilIlriyas
  • drasnordrasnor Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    Basil said:

1. You don't know what you're getting into.

QFT.

edited Mar 2014
    This is the watch order I'll be following to prepare:

Episodes 1-20 from the Platinum Collection.

Director's Cut episodes 21-24 from the same collection.

End of Evangelion (Episodes 25 and 26)
    BasilpigflipperIlriyas
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    Having seen everything listed, I have this to say:

*brain asplode*

You have been warned.
    I'm so excited for this. It's been years since I watched NGE! It's one of the few anime series I genuinely enjoy.
    IlriyasBasilMiracleManSCharshie
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Got through the first three episodes of NGE last night. Amazing how close the 1.11 rebuild is to the original series. Anxious to get to episode 5ish, where the canon change happens in the rebuilds.
    Basil
    Thrax said:

I'm so excited for this. It's been years since I watched NGE! It's one of the few anime series I genuinely enjoy.

If this is well attended, I think Serial Experiments Lain would be awesome as well.
    Annes
    I've been meaning to watch that one for years and never got around to it. Also suggesting FLCL as it could easily be done in one stream (only 6 episodes).

This is where the IC Anime Club begins isn't it?
    Also Akira, that needs to happen.

I'm done NGE, waiting on EoE stream.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Canti said:

Also Akira, that needs to happen.

Saw it during Toonami's Movie Month in December. Enjoyed it. Sad to find out the movie only covered a portion the story.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    I'm biting. I started watching the series tonight, I should have it done in a couple days.
    Basil
    edited Mar 2014
    Canti said:

I've been meaning to watch that one for years and never got around to it. Also suggesting FLCL as it could easily be done in one stream (only 6 episodes).

This is where the IC Anime Club begins isn't it?

My wife actually runs her high school's anime club. Been fun.

Edit: God, this has so much potential and I would be SO IN for a consistent showing of this kind of stuff. I would recommend alternating genre. Ex: Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop (if you haven't seen this I hate you), Serial Experiments, etc.
    I'm sure I can find some Madoka episodes online if people want to watch a Magical Girl Deconstruction.

But yes Cowboy Bebop is something that has to happen, absolutely.
    MiracleManS
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Obviously I would vote for Trigun to happen if we're going to start streaming Anime. It's my favorite.
    pigflipperRahnalH102UPSLynx
    CrazyJoe said:

Obviously I would vote for Trigun to happen if we're going to start streaming Anime. It's my favorite.

I got my wife into Vash and Bebop. That plus what she does at school really got her into a varied group of shows.