My Friend's PC Won't Turn On, Where to Start?

hustler07hustler07 USA Member

I built a PC for a friend, and now I am stuck fixing it whenever something goes wrong. This time it was knocked over while it was on and now it won't turn back on. No lights, no sounds, no nothing.

I was able to test the power supply and cables with no luck. For those that deal with this type of thing all the time, what should I test next?

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Check video card and RAM and CPU are in sockets right, tight and well seated. A mix of one or more of those can be culprit, especially if case fans run but nothing else does seem to work right at all.

• RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian
    edited March 2014

Your first mistake was building a computer for a friend. Anyway, I'd start with the simple stuff. Check all the cables. Make sure they're seated right. Check the electrical outlet it's plugged into. Swap out the cable and the socket if possible. Next step would be what @Straight_Man‌ said, pop open the side and check to make sure that everything's seated correctly. Also, make sure that the power button on the computer itself is working. It may have been knocked out of alignment when the computer fell. If the computer was running when it was kicked over and it's not using a SSD, I'd check the hard drive in addition to the power supply. If it's still not turning on, then you're going to want to replace the motherboard as well.

JBoogalooPink
  • hustler07hustler07 USA Member
    edited March 2014

Thank you for the help guys. I found out that it is the motherboard that is not working.

It has been a while since I built this comp and am not familiar with all the specs. I had this mobo(it is sold out now)-
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138333

Comp specs-
    http://imgur.com/7Wb22z9

Can you help to recommend a similar board for a reasonable price?

Thanks again for the help :)

• If it were me, I would buy the exact same mobo:
    http://www.amazon.com/Biostar-TA75M-DDR3-SATA3-Motherboard/dp/B0058SYF7I/

That way you probably won't have to deal with further software issues (ie. keep using the same windows install you already have/drivers). I'd also tell your friend to buy some velcro straps.

• RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian
    edited March 2014

@PirateNinja said:
    I'd also tell your friend to buy some velcro straps.

And to buy you a beer.

PirateNinja
  • Did the Motherboard battery get jarred loose when it was knocked over? How did you troubleshoot it down to the board?

• hustler07hustler07 USA Member
    edited March 2014

@Cliff_Forster said:
    Did the Motherboard battery get jarred loose when it was knocked over? How did you troubleshoot it down to the board?
    @Cliff_Forster said:
    Did the Motherboard battery get jarred loose when it was knocked over? How did you troubleshoot it down to the board?

I plugged everything else into another motherboard and everything else worked.