I need help to make this minecraft server work...

PinkPink ColourSweden Icrontian
edited April 2014 in Minecraft

Hey guys, I know this is something that there is information about everywhere online, and trust me, I have browsed a lot of forums and tried a lot of different solutions, but I just can't get this to work.
I have been trying to open up a minecraft server where I can play with a friend of mine, but no matter what I try he can't seem to be able to join, instead only getting a message that the connection timed out. I can join my own server if I enter the internal IP, so the server is running and so on.
Here's what I have tested thus far:

● Portforwarded in my router for both TCP and UDP for port 25565 (And yes, I did enter my internal IP and made sure its up to date).

● Made an exception for the port in the windows firewall (I also tried turning the firewall off completely).

● Made sure my friend was connecting to my external IP.

● Connected to the server myself using my internal IP, it worked.

● I have used software to test my port to make sure its open, and it is.

● I have tried different versions of the server software (The one I want to run is 1.7.2, but I've tried 1.7.9 and 1.6.4 aswell).

● I have removed all mods, textures and shaders I had running, still no progress.

● I have made sure that "online-mode" is set to "True" in the server properties, I've also made sure that the whitelist is inactive so that shouldn't be the problem.

● I don't get any errors in the server window, it acts as though everything is running smoothly.

● We both tried connecting to a public server and we can both connect without any issues.

● We tried having him host the server but the problem is just reversed and I get a timeout instead.

If there is any information that is lacking, don't be afraid to ask for it, I'm at my wits end and need backup...

Help me Obi Wan Icrontic, you're my only hope!

EDIT: Formatting was weird.

Comments

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

Have you tried connecting to your server with the external IP?

The server doesn't show a connection request when he tries to log in? To me that sounds like he is being blocked before he gets there, which could be firewall, but you mentioned that you portforwarded.

How are you hosting the server, on a 2nd computer, or on the computer you are playing on?

Is your friend putting in the port when trying to connect or just the IP?

Pink
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

@TiberiusLazarus‌ and I have had this issue in the past when building MC:Hunger Games maps. The trouble is that my ISP apparently hates his - seriously, we've tracert'd it and everything, there's one hop in his tracert where he just gets stonewalled. Sure enough, when I asked other people to join, they were able to log on easily.

Our backup plan was to use hamachi to create a vpn, that allowed traffic through nicely.

Pink
  • PinkPink Colour Sweden Icrontian

@d3k0y I am connecting from the same computer that I'm hosting the server from and I have tried using my external IP, it does not work.
    Also, when my friend connects he uses only the IP but we have also tried adding the port after a colon.

@TiberiusLazarus‌ I have considered using hamachi or similiar software since I have in the past, however, from my experience they tend to create a bit of a hassle on my computer, however if thats the only way then maybe I'll have to try...
    I will atleast do a tracert today and see if I can figure out where it stops.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll return with the result.

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

It sounds like you might have done this already, but try running a ping through your command line to yourself externally and see what comes up. Also not to make it seem like you don't know what you are doing, but are you sure you are using the correct IP?

Pink
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I didn't see a router model, but I've typically recommended portforward.com to people who were having problems, because they provide walkthroughs (google thinks that isn't a word ... it definitely is) for specific routers and programs that get you going.

Pink

Hi guys, really sorry I haven't replied but some stuff came up that I had to deal with and I just haven't gotten a chance to sit down and mess around with minecraft. I will get to it eventually and once again I thank you for taking the time to reply.

solved the issue, it turned out that Java was blocked in the windows firewall. I honestly never thought about checking that and now I feel stupid. Thanks for the help guys!

midga