If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

TDI Cool Kids Club

AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated.Meechigan Icrontian
edited Apr 2014 in The Pub

2 weeks ago, I picked up my very first diesel Volkswagen. A 2005 Beetle 5-speed in fantastic shape (nothing a little TLC and a wheel can't take out), and a steal (listed incorrectly, but gave it to me at inquiry price).

I've since run 2 tanks through it and already getting quite good numbers in the fuel economy space:

Tank #1 - 504 miles on 12.522 gallons - 40MPG

Tank #2 - 508 miles on 11.4 gallons - 44.6MPG

Any other TDI-havers here in IC?

mertesn

Comments

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic Virginia Icrontian

Diesel fuel is Satan's lifeblood.

Honestly though that's pretty good fuel consumption. I would love to have that range and MPG. I like the power my thirsty 3.7L V6 generates too much though. What is the displacement of you Beetle?

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian

Most of the TDIs are 1.9 or 2.0L i4. Mine is a 1.9.

It's got some scoot when I need it due to all the torque everywhere, and then just sips when cruising.

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

Strongly considered a TDI Golf but ended up going with a Mini Cooper.

I get similar fuel mileage - mid to high 40s on freeway and mid thirties on the streets. Huzzah for small cars!

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian

Yup, they're pretty awesome. I want to get a OBD reader so I ca see actual consumption on the freeway. When I'm cruising at 65-70, I imagine I'm probably pulling well over 50MPG, since I'm averaging 44+ for the tank.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic Virginia Icrontian

@Ryder I have heard that you should never leave those plugged in. They apparently will drain the battery overnight. Just a friendly PSA.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

That is correct. The Torque app has a setting that reminds you "unplug your transmitter" when you shut down the app.

Sonorous

@Sonorous said:
    Ryder I have heard that you should never leave those plugged in. They apparently will drain the battery overnight. Just a friendly PSA.

This I knew. The interface is 'powered' at all times.