If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Star Wars Episode VII discussion

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited Apr 2014 in The Pub

Cast announced today:

The original cast of Mark Hamill as Luke, Harrison Ford as Han Solo, Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia, as well as Chewbacca, R2D2 and C3PO are all returning.

Discuss.

midgaUPSLynxcolaTeramonaprimesuspect

Comments

• MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

I'm told that everything in the extended universe is being officially classified as noncanon. This hits me right in the childhood. I know the official owners of the license have the call on what's canon and the continued legitimacy of the extended universe has always been a bit tenuous in that regard, but I can't help thinking that I'm going to go to this film with an initial feeling of letdown before it even gets a chance to be good or bad.

Hopefully they just come up with something even better to make up for my initial bias!

GnomeQueenUPSLynx
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian

@Myrmidon said:
    I'm told that everything in the extended universe is being officially classified as noncanon. This hits me right in the childhood. I know the official owners of the license have the call on what's canon and the continued legitimacy of the extended universe has always been a bit tenuous in that regard, but I can't help thinking that I'm going to go to this film with an initial feeling of letdown before it even gets a chance to be good or bad.

Hopefully they just come up with something even better to make up for my initial bias!

This is my general opinion as well. So, upvotes.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian

As an old fart, the fact that EU is being de-canon'd bothers me not one iota.

The addition of Andy Serkis and Max von Sydow are BIG wins for me, though.

Now they just need to hurry up and make the thing.

JBoogaloo
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian

Actually very surprised they got Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher to agree to come back. Ford seemed reluctant to come back to do Indiana Jones, and with the drug problems Fisher had surprised they reached out to her.

Additionally, I don't think Ford is a good actor anymore; he tends to just show up, go through the motions, and collect his paycheck. He doesn't have the fire he had when he was originally Indy, Solo, and Rick Deckard from Blade Runner.

Didn't say anything about looking good, he just doesn't have a passion for acting anymore.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ @TheButterflyman Icrontian

Andy Sekris.

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

Picture looks like a big sausage fest to me.

GnomeQueencola
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

Not sausages, lightsabers!

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

Disney has announced they will not use expanded universe content or the 3 unused scripts. Rendering The Yuuzhan Vong war , the Thrawn Trillogy, Darth Krayt. All the things we wanted to see, is now non cannon.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

@Creeperbane2 said:
    All the things I wanted to see, is now non-canon.

Fixed that for you.

I personally don't care about EU content. The Zahn books weren't THAT great.

Cantiardichoke
  • TeramonaTeramona Baroness von Puttenham In a cute little love nest with Mymidan. Icrontian

Official canon, as always, will be what I choose to believe in my head... So, Mara Jade lives.

Also, is that the guy from Girls?

GnomeQueen
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

@primesuspect said:

The Zahn books weren't THAT great.

True, fuck the yuuzhan vong. "LOL WE'RE OUT OF IDEAS LET'S EXPAND THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE AND BRING IN A NEW RACE AND OH YEAH NO FORCE NOW LOLOL" is the EU's way of adding new characters a la Towelie and Poochie. Everything before that, though, was excellent.

ThraxGHoosdum
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

Yeah Grand Admiral Thrawn is the besty.

RyanFodder
  • SignalSignal Icrontian

Not trying to start a Star Wars flame war, but if they didn't rule out all EU cannon, wouldn't that give them a very thin and narrow line to follow? Don't you want something trilogy or even the 6ogy based? Back to the roots so to speak?

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

Han Solo dies.

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited Apr 2014

@Myrmidon said:
    True, fuck the yuuzhan vong. "LOL WE'RE OUT OF IDEAS LET'S EXPAND THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE AND BRING IN A NEW RACE AND OH YEAH NO FORCE NOW LOLOL" is the EU's way of adding new characters a la Towelie and Poochie. Everything before that, though, was excellent.

Holy crap, this is exactly what I was going to post on that subject. HOW DO YOU KNOW MY THOUGHTS?

@primesuspect said:

The Zahn books weren't THAT great.

Well, except I liked the Thrawn Trilogy. Maybe it's my own fault for reading it during my impressionable teenage years.

• ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian

No EU? But.... the new Rogue Squadron.... I remember devouring those books as a kid. Meh, can't be worse than the prequels amirite?

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

Comic Book Guy:

>

Probably nothing, but let us see. Oh -- handwritten script for "Star Wars," by George Lucas. Princess Leia's anti-jiggle breast tape. Film reel labeled, "Alternate ending -- Luke's father is Chewbacca." Ooh! Ooh! [calmly] I'll give you five dollars for the box.

GnomeQueentrooster89UPSLynx
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian

You know, I've been thinking a lot about the whole old EU canon stuff, and ultimately I reflect @Myrmidon‌ and @Thrax‌'s sentiments on it. However, just because they've said its no longer canon does not mean they won't include some elements. So there's still a chance that Mara Jade will be in the new films, and other such elements from the EU, but perhaps with different stories and what not. I dunno. It's hard to figure out what all of this means. It could be massive, it could be meh.

@CB said:
    Andy Sekris.

Not sure if want. Hope that doesn't mean we end up with the recently typical Serkis as a mo-capped CG character, I feel like I don't even know what Andy's capable of as a traditional actor anymore.

I just really, really, really want Disney to bring back physical sets for this film. It's almost weird when you watch episode 1 vs 2 or 3 because 1 actually used a lot of physical sets, where as the later 2 films were almost entirely shot in front of chroma key. Perhaps it was just the limited technology of the time, or because George Lucas just sucks, but the all-CG sets of 2 and 3 just lacked that visceral feel and connection between actors and their environment.

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian

• trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    edited May 2014

@Canti said:

Han Solo dies.

Nope. But Chewie does.

• TeramonaTeramona Baroness von Puttenham In a cute little love nest with Mymidan. Icrontian

I'm going to start a petition for them to let me write the next 3 movies. I guarantee you I can integrate both trilogies with the EU in a way that would be satisfying and bad ass...

... Not that I've done anything like that before.

GnomeQueen
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

Completely disregard Episodes 1, 2, and 3 and I will totally sign this.

@Ilriyas said:
    Completely disregard Episodes 1, 2, and 3 and I will totally sign this.

Deal! We should all start an Icrontic Star Wars collaboration.

Star Wars: Icrontic Strikes Back

Anyway, I for one am both pleased and worried that the original cast is returning. You're supposed to leave the audience wanting more, not wishing they had seen less. Crystal Skull, for example, was such an abysmal failure that it almost ruins the first 3 movies for me. I literally tried for days to convince myself that it wasn't so bad, but it was. I couldn't accept that a big part of my childhood had been unearthed for no good reason only to be kicked in its balls... especially when it had gotten such a good send off to begin with.

We saw this with Episodes 1-3. Star Wars was already a huge mythology unto itself by the time the new movies rolled out, and we'd had years (I, obviously, wasn't even born when they were released) to build it up and get to know the characters. The EU had become a beast of its own. Not to mention the fact that the sometimes banal and forced dialogue that somehow worked for the original movies just seemed awkward and uncomfortable to modern audiences. (Anyone remember "To me, it is the Jedi who are evil!", or literally any of the dialogue between Padme and Anakin?). The sad part is that the story itself wasn't awful, and that the movies can be entertaining if you can dissociate them from the originals. Most of the hate comes from the fact that it's hard to please a decades old audience when they already know exactly what they want... And what they wanted, in this case, was the original thing.

Now, like I said, I am actually pretty excited that the original cast is reprising their roles, but that alone won't save the movies from being mocked and trivialized as much as 1-3. They need the right director (which J.J. Abrams might just be, I don't know), and they need a new goddam writer. Otherwise, this might be a new Crystal Skull in the making. Whatever the case, though, I'll be in that theatre for every movie they make... because fuck it, it's Star Wars.

RyanFodder
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

I don't get this controversy. It's not like they're saying the books don't exist, never exist, no new books can ever be written. So basically people are upset that items from some books will not be in the new movies? How can they be upset when scripts probably haven't even been written yet? Because Star Wars?

GHoosdumSignalBasilUPSLynx

@CrazyJoe said:
    I don't get this controversy. It's not like they're saying the books don't exist, never exist, no new books can ever be written. So basically people are upset that items from some books will not be in the new movies? How can they be upset when scripts probably haven't even been written yet? Because Star Wars?

You're missing the point. The EU was considered canon, so the fact they're saying "nope, no more EU" means that they're rewriting Star Wars history. Characters, places, story arcs, things that hard core fans have come to consider as integral to the story as Han, Luke, and Leia, can be completely written out. I'm not saying I'm one of these people, but to some it would be as bad as if they came out with VII saying "Haha, just kidding, Luke and Leia aren't really Vader's kids after all, LOL".

Also, from what I understand, they're not including anything from the books. They're starting from scratch. We've already gotten to know Han and Leia's kids, for christ's sake, and now they're saying those kids don't exist.

No one's saying it's not something that can be gotten over, but... fuck, man. It's a big pill to swallow. What is and isn't considered canon is a huge deal to most fandoms.

GHoosdum

The Starwars prequels, and Crystal Skull didn't ruin my childhood, so much as it disappointed my adulthood.

Canti