If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Star Wars Episode VII discussion

1111213141517»

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited Dec 2015

@Tushon said:

@ardichoke said:
    Alright, I guess it's good enough that I need to go see it in the theater. Guna go to the nice theater this weekend, spring for the cushy reclining seats with seat side food and drink service and have a cocktail or two and some food while I watch it. This better not all be some elaborate troll.

This is a desired viewing condition, if you can't get real IMAXified.

When it comes to my movie watching experience, comfy seats and seat service always trumps IMAX. Even real IMAX. I am fine with standard modern theaters, as long as the sound system is good.

It looks like the IMAX theater near me was a real IMAX but got converted to digital IMAX back in 2010 (source: lfexaminer.com). They're also only showing it in 3D in the IMAX theater anyway, which always gives me bad headaches. I'll stick to 2D, standard def with booze and food over 3D IMAX (real or digital) any day.

Garg

@AlexDeGruven said:
    I think I'm going to use these as my prequel source material from now on:

Yeah.... I think I'm going to have to agree with you there. These What-If videos are way better than the actual prequel trilogy. Also more concise and with far more emotion than the actual movies!

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

FWIW, digital can still be real imax, e.g. the Air and Space Museum in Chantilly, VA has the legit crazy level projectors required for good 3D IMAX on full size screen. However, I also have access to a real 70mm IMAX at the Air and Space museum in DC :)

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian

Release dates of the next 5 movies per Entertainment Weekly:

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Director: Gareth Edwards
    Written by: Gary Whitta and Chris Weitz
    Starring: Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Riz Ahmed, Ben Mendelsohn, Donnie Yen, Jiang Wen, Forest Whitaker, Mads Mikkelsen, and Alan Tudyk
    Logline: Following the foundation of the Galactic Empire, a wayward band of Rebel fighters comes together to carry out a desperate mission: to steal the plans for the Death Star before it can be used to enforce the Emperor’s rule.
    Release: Dec. 16, 2016

Star Wars: Episode VIII

Written and directed by Rian Johnson
    Starring: Mark Hamill, Daisy Ridley, Oscar Isaac (reportedly)
    Release: May 26, 2017
    Logline: Unknown

Star Wars Anthology: Han Solo (working title)

Directors: Phil Lord and Christopher Miller
    Written by: Lawrence and Jon Kasdan
    Starring: Not yet announced
    Logline: How young Han Solo became the smuggler, thief, and scoundrel whom Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi first encountered in the cantina at Mos Eisley.
    Release: May 25th, 2018

Star Wars: Episode IX

Director: Colin Trevorrow
    Writer: Rian Johnson
    Release: 2019

Star Wars Anthology: Boba Fett

Director: Not yet announced
    Writer: Not yet announced
    Release: 2020 (reportedly)

-Digi

primesuspectAlexDeGruven

Leave it to Disney to shit movies out until the market is completely oversaturated... and then probably squeeze out a couple straight to DVD titles as well. :rolleyes:

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Only the market can tell when the market's oversaturated. I'm not willing to say I won't be hyped for all of these just yet.

UPSLynxGnomeQueenHero
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

I don't think people will tire of Star Wars in quite the same way that we've overlooked The Little Mermaid 2, for instance.

UPSLynxHero
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

That's way less movies than the Avengers has pooped out so far, and it's still going strong.

CBBobbyDigiHero
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited Jan 2016

I'm not sure why anyone would want the guy that made a film about Dinosaurs that sucked. Dinosaurs make anything better unless it's directed by Colin Trevorrow.

I got an idea, in the classic original film the heroes were all genius, nerds of the highest order with interesting traits and passions mixed with some social inadequacies, one of the finest cast films ever (Seriously, Sam Neill, Laura Dern, Richard Attenborough, Jeff Goldblum and even the kids are all magic)... In this one, let's make the hero a sexist toolbag and make his love interest a clueless disconnected self absorbed jerk. That way millennials can connect!!!

Jurassic World is the master class on how to ruin a golden opportunity. I guess it printed money so that is all that matters... Man, who would hire this guy?

GHoosdum
  • HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

why are they changing the directors for every movie? that seems like a bad idea. even if they manage a continuity of story line, i have a strong suspicion that the general feeling of the movies will change from movie to movie. it was the first thing that i noticed when watching VII. it just didnt feel the same. and while i much prefer the original trilogy over the prequels, they at least still felt like star wars through and through. and i dont doubt that the next movie would not hit me as hard, except tht it is going to be a different director again, and so it will once again hang over the experience.

but it will still be awesome because STAR WARS.

_kCliff_Forster
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian

If you don't already have an Audible (Amazon) account, you can sign up for a 30 day trial and they'll give you a free book credit which you could use to get the Episode VII audio book for free. It's just over 10 hours.

-Digi

• LincLinc Bard Detroit, MI Icrontian

@GHoosdum said:
    I don't think people will tire of Star Wars in quite the same way that we've overlooked The Little Mermaid 2, for instance.

wtb "in defense of Little Mermaid 2" thread.

GHoosdum

@Linc said:

@GHoosdum said:

Nah, it was pretty shit.

GHoosdumSnarkasmUPSLynx

@Linc said:

@GHoosdum said:

In defense of Little Mermaid 2: Ariel is still a hot ass redhead. I'd hit it. (Note: I have not actually watched Little Mermaid 2)

GHoosdum_k
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited Jan 2016

@Cliff_Forster said:
    Man, who would hire this guy?

Disney

Cliff_Forster

@GnomeQueen said:
    That's way less movies than the Avengers has pooped out so far, and it's still going strong.

There has only been 2 Avengers movies so far. The individual hero movies are separate. /pedant

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

Only now has the movie arrived in my town. Soon.

Hero
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/01/star-wars-episode-viii-release-date-delay-december-2017?mbid=social_twitter

Disney has moved the release date for the eighth installment in the continuing saga of that fractured galactic family from May 26, 2017, to December 15, 2017.
    [...]
    Rogue One—the Star Wars spin-off story starring Felicity Jones—will still open on December 16, 2016, meaning that for the next two years, at least, Star Wars will remain a Christmas staple.

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

:grumble: i thought they were all gonna be released this spring... bastards.

AlexDeGruven

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian

Bought the digital Friday night and watched it with the kids. Still fantastic.

BobbyDigi
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

GattsuDontCallMeKelso
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

We re-watched Episode VII last night in prep for Episode VIII and one thing I never really noticed before stuck out at me:

Chewbacca's presumably complicated relationship with Kylo Ren

Ben Solo MUST have grown up with Chewbacca as a major part of his life. He would have been like a big furry uncle to Ben Solo the child. They must have had a very close relationship, because there's no assumption that Han Solo abandoned Ben as a small child. So, that said, losing Ben to the dark side must have been really hard on Chewie as well.

Now, that assumption in mind, think about "the scene" - you know the one.

When it happens, we quickly see Chewbacca make a sound we've never heard before, a deep scream. We assume it's because he just watched his best friend get murdered by his own son... BUT, we're also witnessing the loss of the beloved cub he watched grow up.

That said, he has ZERO hesitation when he whips his bowcaster up and fires a shot at Kylo Ren, hitting him.

Kylo seems pretty shaken up by getting shot.... but maybe it's because his beloved furry uncle just shot him in the gut.

Chewbacca goes ham and starts blasting stormtroopers, mad with grief.

We never really consider Chewbacca as a "character" so much as a prop or foil to Han. I think this scene sets him up for a bit more agency and I hope this agency is explored more in future movies. He COULD be a rich, complex character.

I'm probably overthinking it.

UPSLynxCliff_Forster
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

@Canti said:

Han Solo dies.

Fuck you for being right.

But here's something to think about,

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited Dec 2017

@Canti said:

@Canti said:

Han Solo dies.

Fuck you for being right.

But here's something to think about,

In "A New Hope" there are two holding guard near the tractor beam shutdown that are talking about space cars like normal dudes. "Have you seen the new VT-16?" - "Yeah. Some of the other guys were telling me about it. They say it’s…it’s quite a thing to see…”

That subtle moment tells you everything you need to know. The foot soldiers are just normal guys who think they are doing the right thing. This has been there since 1977. One of the novels goes into detail about how the imperial forces moved from Clones, to recruitment because the perception of the army was that it was just and that it brought peace and security to the galaxy, so it was an easy sell to get farm boys to be like, okay, cool, I'll join the army because that's important noble work, and normal recruitment helped to bolster the Empire's message that they were the good guys, after all, just about everyone knew a kid who worked for them. After the defeat of the Empire in the battle of Jaku the First Order remnants have to come up with another solution because of the galactic perception shift, the lines between good and evil were clear to most and they start resort to brain washing the foot soldiers at a young age because not too many were going to willfully enlist. In the case of someone like Hux, his backstory is interesting, his father was horrible, berated him, made him feel weak and insignificant, the First Order is his proving ground, and in his mind, he is doing the right thing to restore order from Chaos... They think they are the good guys. It's not that much different than real life honestly.

Still... The idea that the Stormtroopers are normal guys, it's been there since 1977, it's a small moment, but it's totally intentional, and it's designed to get you to understand the real villains are the guys in charge.

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

@Cliff_Forster said:

In "A New Hope" there are two holding guard near the tractor beam shutdown that are talking about space cars like normal dudes. "Have you seen the new VT-16?" - "Yeah. Some of the other guys were telling me about it. They say it’s…it’s quite a thing to see…”

I never caught that before, wow.

RyanMM