If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Star Wars Episode VII discussion

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian

Looper is an incredibly smart piece of science fiction. My brother is totally against Abrams, he does not like what he did with Star Trek, feels like he didn't understand the source material, made a "modern audience" films vs. making movies that honored the the tradition of the franchise. He is a huge Trek fan, I'm a more casual fan so I liked the Abrams treatment of those films.

I wonder if in a way announcing Johnson now is a way of Disney saying, don't worry guys, we won't let Abrams go totally hipster on Star Wars.... Some creative collaboration, checks and balances. A way to put people at ease that fear Abrams isn't the right guy for the job?

Just seems like a strange time to announce, like we are getting a little ahead of ourselves.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian
    edited Jul 2014

Edit: Damn, it's a shop :(

-Digi

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

TIL that Mark Hamill voices the character Skips on "The Regular Show."

Now we know why Han didn't necessarily shoot first. Greedo was a harmless skinny dude with 70's perm.

mertesn
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I want so badly to believe

(but still, shivers. I HATE YOU LUCAS. I HATE YOU FOR WHAT YOU DO TO ME)

Well, found out its not real but still gave me goosebumps. lol

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian

I was almost convinced until the snippet from Anchorman 2.

But if it's half as good as this, then it will rock.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Oh ffs

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    edited Nov 2014

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

That shit sent shivers down my spine goddammit for not being a real trailer.

• LincLinc Bard Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Nov 2014

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/star-wars-force-awakens-watch-4699629

Mark Hamill in 1983 saying Lucas approached him about Episode VII and said it would be "around 2011". D-: That's completely amazing. Off by 3 years in a 3-decade estimate? Wow.

Cliff_ForsterGHoosdum
  • HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

that looked like master chief at 0:46

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian

Real trailer comes out on the web on Friday (tomorrow).

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

I was just going to post that.

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Nov 2014

Immediate tingles, but that lightsabre was goofy as hell.

It feels like they had to make a lightsaber that was MOAR EXTREEEEEME than Darth Maul's.

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    edited Nov 2014

Looks good, except what the hell did they do with the Storm troopers, their armor has gone from menacing to just downright silly. Other than that, much hype. Still, NOBODY MESSES WITH THE 501ST!

The new lightsaber looks awful, guards are for more than catching blades (Like, say holding it during a thrust)
    New Stormtrooper armour is stupid as hell, there's basically no definition or design anymore.
    Even pre-vfx the desert looks pretty bad (Sure they'll fix it appearance wise) but I'll never be able to ignore the fact that they're likely running on treadmills and green-screen as opposed to actual Earth like in the Original Star Wars and Indiana Jones Films. (Hello fluid, unnatural movements)
    Bloody Soccerball Droid.
    Ugly ass speeder designs
    CGI Millenium Falcon.

Creeperbane2trooster89
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

It's a year to release. Agree with Ryder.

Cliff_ForsterJBoogaloo

I can complain about poor, lazy film-making. CGI and greenscreen has ruined Hollywood, why make a set that looks and feels real when you can fake the whole bloody thing with a green sheet and editing software.

Go re-watch the Original Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Man with No Name, etc. Watch the way they move, the occasional stumble. The natural way people would react and move when on natural terrain. It looks real, it's exciting and it helps immerse one in the movie.

Then go watch say Clone Wars, specifically the Geonosis scenes. Pay careful attention to the way they move on the simulated ground. It's too smooth, you can tell that it's fake. I don't like seeing things that look obviously alien.

My Film Prof has had heydays over the state of the industry and how modern Digital Effects have ruined filmmaking, I agree with him entirely, hell Ian Mckellen had a breakdown on the set of the Hobbit because responding to director prompts on a screen and lightbulbs isn't acting.

$10 says half the shit in the film is going to be entirely greenscreened and the actor reactions are going to look fake as hell because they have nothing to work off of beyond what they're being told they should be seeing.

Fury was done with actual tanks, live sets, the works. I loved the hell out of it, and any digital effects were used to enhance the film.

CGI does not a film make, used well in tandem with set pieces and physical models it can make something fantastic to rely entirely on it is a crutch.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

I prefer my films all CGI. Get the real shit out of there, it just ruins the experience.

CantiJBoogalooardichoke
    edited Nov 2014

Lightsabre with curved hilt. Not unprecedented (see: Dooku and Asajj Ventress)

I love the Claymore Saber. It has exhaust ports. It looks like it is longer, like the kind of weapon royalty would carry. Also, could it be Luke? Glove on the right hand? We don't see him? Has he turned?