If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Star Wars Episode VII discussion

Comments

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

Not super impressed by it but the few seconds of the X-Wings coming in over the water is pretty sick.

• JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited Nov 2014

I am super stoked for this movie. I refuse to watch this trailer and movie the first few times with the eyes and mindset of someone very close to finishing a degree in, and hopefully getting in the CG/animation industry. I am REALLY going to try and watch this movie like I did with the original three when I was just a young lad. I'm ain't dissecting shit. I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the hell out of whatever ride it takes me on. Fuck yeah, Disney. I'm ready!

Cliff_Forstermaliasharkydart
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

"May the force be with you" "and also with you"

SignalPirateNinjaCliff_ForsterMAGIC
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

Lens flare edition.

• SignalSignal Icrontian

Was anyone else immediately diappointed when you realized you had to wait a whole year before of comes out? I want it now!

JBoogalooRyanFodderChooch
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

Cliff_Forstertrooster89Canti
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Nov 2014

> MFW Swiss Army lightsabre is rotoscoped better than the dumb lightclaymore

Creeperbane2UPSLynx
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

One of the more interesting theories going around is that this is Revan that has awakened... and thus he has a more "raw" lightsaber than newer characters, since he's been gone for what... 5,000 years?

PirateNinjaCreeperbane2
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian

There's also the theory that since this is a bit later down the road that very few Sith remain and they've had to piece together light sabres which is why it looks a bit shotty. But, who knows.
    I also dig the Revan theory, but I doubt that's likely the case. Oh but if it is...

PirateNinja
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

BasilCliff_ForsterMAGIC
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

Well it is cannon I believe that Sideous survived Episode 6 because of advanced force techniques, so presumably going to be a part of it.

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian

Could you imagine a Naboo destruction scene reminiscent of Alderaan? Could you imagine the cheers as millions of Gungans cry out in terror?

• BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian

God I hope that's not Revan.
    I love KotOR, but Revan is already the Star Wars equivalent of Jesus and TSL/TOR analysed his character to death. Dropping him into a movie set thousands of years later would just be pure fanwank.

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

Jarjar has always been behind everything.

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

MiracleManSCantiAlexDeGruven
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited Dec 2014
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian

Some of you when you see 3-prong saber:

Signal
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

Artist's only comment on the matter: .... "Bvv."

RyanFodder
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian

That was amazing. I laughed out loud at the goal-post one, and kept going through the rest.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian

So there was some discussion here at work about the lightsaber.

If it IS a sort of claymore situation, that would be stupid, for all the reasons laid out already.

BUT. I don't think JJ is stupid. In fact, I think he's rather clever.

So instead of a defensive option, think of it as offensive. Many lightsaber battles at some point end up with both combatants at very close quarters with blades nearly touching faces (because that's how you do drama, obviously).

So now you're in this situation. The wielder of this particular lightsaber now has an advantage. He hits a button (in a dramatic fashion, because his opponent realizes what's about to happen and tries to stop him), and zap. Foe's lightsaber is split in twain. Or, for more of an brutal end to the battle, foe's eye and brain are immediately cooked.

JBoogaloo
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

If I was a mega bad-ass jedi, I would swing right down the middle of the other jedi and right when he tries to parry I would just click off his lightsaber with the force and then there would be the momentary shock of what happened in his eyes right before splitting him in two.

GHoosdumMAGIC
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

That's our Winfrey, always thinking ahead

@Winfrey said:
    If I was a mega bad-ass jedi, I would swing right down the middle of the other jedi and right when he tries to parry I would just click off his lightsaber with the force and then there would be the momentary shock of what happened in his eyes right before splitting him in two.

I wonder if that would even work, because in-theory, one needs to use the force just to even wield a lightsaber, let alone do so effectively.

So in order to do what you're saying, they would have to be more than just a badass Jedi(tm), but more of a super-jedi.

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

Han uses a lightsaber to cut open the Tauntaun without the force.

Signal
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

@CannonFodder said:

I'd bring in some EU stuff to agree with this, but the EU has been destroyed. :(

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Dec 2014

@CannonFodder said:

He does, though EU ex-canon states that the Force is required to competently use a lightsabre in combat as the balance of the blade is all wrong. The sabre of a lightsabre is allegedly weightless, leaving an unbalanced hilt.

The Force significantly improves spatial awareness, along with hand-eye coordination, which I imagine is helpful when you're whirling an unbalanced deadly weapon at baseball bat speeds to stop another person from killing you with the same type of weapon.

sharkydart
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

LincFettBaconRyanFodderMAGIC