If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Star Wars Episode VII discussion

Comments

• SignalSignal Icrontian

From Wookiepedia on lightsabers:

Due to the weightlessness of plasma and the strong gyroscopic effect generated by it, lightsabers required a great deal of strength and dexterity to wield, and it was extremely difficult—and dangerous—for the untrained to attempt using. However, in the hands of an expert of the Force, the lightsaber was a weapon to be greatly respected and feared. To wield a lightsaber was to demonstrate incredible skill and confidence, as well as masterful dexterity and attunement to the Force.

Lightsabers can be used by force muggles.

• LincLinc Bard Detroit, MI Icrontian

@Ryder I've suffered thru too many dinnertime WoW discussions with you at the center to have the slightest sympathy. :sawed:

RyderMAGICGHoosdumBuddyJ
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Me at the center? hmmmmm

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian

@Cliff_Forster said:
    Prepare for old guy nerd rant!!!!

This discussion about the new saber design makes me think of a conversation I had with my wife watching Superman. "Why does he wear a cape" she says. I reply, "because capes look cool and they are fun for the artist to draw".... Everyone today needs an explanation for everything. The number one worst moment in Star Wars history is that inane conversation between Qui-Gon Jinn and Anakin Skywalker about the nature of the force. Before that we just had a mystical energy field that some folks were strong enough with to manipulate through training and sheer faith in it's presence, after that we had fucking midiclorians, why, because this is the worst generation of people ever... nobody believes in magic everyone needs an explanation for every fucking thing and it pisses me off....

Why the new saber design? Because it looks awesome. Nothing else matters. It's a fantasy people. Get a grip.

Embrace the magic kids.

Rant concluded.

My name is BobbyDigi and I approve of this rant

-Digi

Cliff_ForsterJBoogaloocolaCreeperbane2
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

Cliff_ForsterCreeperbane2
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian

The falcon has a new square radar dish. Wouldn't that throw off the aerodynamics? Childhood stolen!! Wahhhh!!

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian

Convex rectangle is a practical shape for a radar/sensor dish; there's nothing similarly practical about a crossguard that could remove your limb or stab you in basic use.

Cliff_ForstercolaCreeperbane2
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

It's. Just. A. Movie.

Cliff_Forster
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

@Kwitko said:
    It's. Just. A. Movie.

NO!

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    Some people have fun watching movies. Some people have fun talking nerdy tech stuff about movie content. Both are okay.

Mind = blown. What place does this acceptance of other people's ways have on the internet?

JBoogalooRyderRahnalH102Cliff_Forster
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    Some people have fun watching movies. Some people have fun talking nerdy tech stuff about movie content. Both are okay.

I see your opinion and throw it in the trash. WORTHLESS!

MiracleManSRahnalH102Cliff_Forster
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

http://geekxgirls.com/article.php?ID=3696

They had me at the X-Wing scene... but if it's bad, no amount of fan service will get me to go see any further Star Wars movies.

• FettBaconFettBacon Viscount Icrontian

My favorite thing about the whole lightsaber debate is that there were multiple sith in the EU with "whip" lightsabers and no one ever made as big of a deal then.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Dec 2014

The Lightwhip

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

@primesuspect said:

Some people just want to watch the world burn, and some people aren't @Thrax.

Cliff_Forster
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited Dec 2014

@primesuspect said:

I think the trouble comes in because those who like to just watch and enjoy movies, see those who like to argue about lore and tech, and they think that those people are not having any fun. Especially online, it's hard to tell if someone is arguing out of geeky joy or out of true derision.

GHoosdumRyanFodderSignalCliff_Forster

Good point. And sometimes the geeky joy is even borne of the true derision.

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

Some people like 'being upset' about something. You can't appear to like it though; otherwise the other people won't take you seriously when you claim something is wrong.

Ryder

Cliff_ForstercolaJBoogaloo
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian

@primesuspect said:

I have witnessed a generational gap between those that understand fantasy as a joyful escape (older), and those that want it to be serious business (younger). Look at the direction for the Nolan Batman films and the newer 007 Bond films. All take a more serious, more believable approach to fantasy, and I'm not saying they produced bad films (in fact they are mostly fantastic), I'm just saying everything is trending that way. People want grounded, people want something easy to understand. They need everything to be easily explained so it can satisfy them. Curiosity isn't welcome. Why can't Indiana Jones surviving a nuke in a fridge be kinda awesome? I mean 25 years ago he falls out of a plane in a raft and does not even loose his hat and nobody was like, man, that shit is whack! I don't know what Speilberg could have been thinking! It's just you know, fun, it's fantasy, but the kids today can't do the math between fantasy and reality. They need a Gotham city that feels a little more grounded. They need James Bond with fewer off the wall gadgets. They need light-sabers that make perfect mechanical sense because you know, a laser sword, that is totally a thing we can somehow dissect and relate to? Some fans will not be happy until they can see the mechanical schematic for it. I guess I can appreciate a fans desire for attention to detail. I do understand how in many ways that caters to a Star Wars fans inner nerd. I honestly have a few magazines with spaceship schematics around here somewhere and I suppose that can be pretty cool when you dig into it. Klingon is an actual speakable language, that is kinda cool in a a total nerdtastic sense, but do we need to freak out at the first sign of confusion? Can we accept one darn thing just as it is, without the need for perfect scientific explanation? Is it okay that it just looks cool? Can Indy survive anything just because he is Indiana fucking Jones? That is all I'm saying. Don't steal your own joy kids. Learn to just enjoy some things because they are simply awesome on the surface. Embrace some of that superficial movie magic and stop being so nit picky about details that only serve to steal your own joy.

TLDR, that lightsaber is awesome.

Signal
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

I actively dislike both the new Gotham City and James Bond without gadgets, one of my favourite cartoons is Batman Animated Series and Sean Connery is the objectively best James Bond.

I don't even care about the science behind it, I grew up with the Original Trilogy's lightsaber I genuinely think the newest design is stupid from an aesthetic perspective.

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited Dec 2014

@Cliff_Forster said:
    I have witnessed a generational gap between those that understand fantasy as a joyful escape (older), and those that want it to be serious business (younger).

Sounds like my writer friend. Same age as me (4 days apart actually) and he confuses me on what he likes in stories. He likes both the joyful escape and the serious stuff, but will tear apart the light-hearted escape stuff if he thinks it should be more serious. Not out of geeky joy but of actual disgust with it.

On actual Star Wars topic though.
    (7:20 is where the Star Wars bit starts if you don't want to watch the Jurassic World part.)

I think a good quotes from this was "Star Wars is a juggernaut of modern culture. It's simply too big to not make everyone happy." and (Summarized) "They inserted that scene (lightsaber crossguard) to get the internet hyped (both positively and negatively) for the movie."
    Heck I didn't even read any of this discussion prior to this last trailer. Now look at me. I'm a pawn of the media.

BobbyDigi

@Cliff_Forster said:
    ...the newer 007 Bond films...

I read somewhere that Daniel Craig claims we have Austin Powers to blame for the serious nature of the new Bond films.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian

@GHoosdum said:
    I read somewhere that Daniel Craig claims we have Austin Powers to blame for the serious nature of the new Bond films.

Actually makes sense. Because even though they had campy moments and ridiculous villains, the older Bond films were generally serious. Austin Powers goofed just about everything about them to show how ridiculous they really were.

That being said, I still dig the new Bond films IMMENSELY.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

@Cliff_Forster said:
    I have witnessed a generational gap between those that understand fantasy as a joyful escape (older), and those that want it to be serious business (younger).

BRB, going to read and then watch Lord of the Rings. Because srs biz.

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

Keep in mind that LotR is Fantasy and Star Wars is Sci-fi.