Backup software

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian

Whats the best way to backup and keep backing up a windows 7 pc on spare HD? My wifes mac uses Time machine whats something like that on Windows?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Or Acronis.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

Crashplan, because besides backing up to the cloud, you can back up to a friend's drive. Brian backs his stuff up to my PC, and I bank up to his.

GHoosdumErrorNullTurnip
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian

Crash plan is free to use if using an external! Sweet. Acronis I am familiar with in the past didnt really like it then.

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

So what do you guys back up with CrashPlan? The whole system or select directories/partitions? I'm trying to figure out what to back up vs continue using Acronis.

• BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian

Really big fan of CrashPlan. I was introduced to it at work and really liked it. So, I bought the subscription for my home. I have it back up online as well as to the NAS in the basement. So, best case scenario, the computer dies, I can restore from the NAS. Worst case scenario, I have to restore from the cloud. As for what I backup? Mostly, just the user directory. As I use BitTorrent Sync to keep my main computer synced up with my laptop, I currently only need 1 desktop license to keep everything backed up. Hope that helps!

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

I don't back anything up. I like living on the edge. Someone change my username to "dangerous".
    CrashPlan is pretty good though.