Munchkin

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian

Any one here play Munchkin? I just picked it up and was looking for some tips

Comments

• SignalSignal Icrontian

Don't be afraid of making house rules, also write them down and keep them with the game. With every deck combination there will be some imbalances so house rules will help keep the game fun. For example, there are cards that allow you to go through the discard pile. We have certain cards marked so that when they are played they go in the permanent discard pile not to be revisited or reshuffled when all cards have been discarded. We have taken all but 2 of the level up cards out, simply because it's no fun when either you or someone else has made half their levels through level up cards. Maybe set the level up card sell price (you can discard $1000 worth of items to go up a level) higher to force players to utilize more items rather than sell everything.

Get a couple of expansions and mix 'em up. Cowboy (The Good, The Bad and The Munchkin) + Space (Star Munchkin) = Firefly Munchkin! Just be aware you will need to tweak the rules or delete cards to make things balanced. Maybe delete some race or class cards. If you have classes from both sets, class weapons will be very rare and you won't be able to use most of them if you don't make some allowances.

My advice is to play a couple of games and see what you guys want to tweak to make the game more fun. It is a highly customizable game, either through Steve Jackson or yourself.

Also, once you have the game down, look up rules for Epic Munchkin. You can do that without the expansion. The expansion gives you higher level monsters but I don't recommend it because it makes it hard to get going if you draw a level 20 at level 2. We just double monsters that epic munchkins draw and make certain rules on if players can help them and what it costs them for players to help them.

Hope this helps!

TiberiusLazarusRyanFodder
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian

Nice, Our first Door Kicking will be tonight. I picked up the deluxe version because you really need the board. I cant wait to try it. Ive watched some videos and got the idea of the game down.the 4 of us playing are experienced board gamers so it wont be too bad to pick up. I have been wanting to buy it for several years but I never pulled the trigger till I was at my local game store and they had a munchkin tournament. I sat there and watched for a while and it looks amazingly fun

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

i have munchkin 1 thru 6 or 7. makes for a good party / drinking game.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2014

My only pro tip for Munchkin:

Do not take it seriously or personally at any time. The game is not designed to be a well-balanced contest of tactics or strategy. It just supposed to be funny. Think of it like an RPG themed Apples to Apples. If you actually try to win instead of just doing what's funniest, you will have less fun. Save your tactical brain for other activities.

maliaThraxRyanFodder
  • SignalSignal Icrontian

What CB said only I picture it as Dungeons and Dragons but with cards. It's not really about who wins, only about who can screw over someone else the most.

RyanFodder
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian

Last night was a last, Everyone screwed everyone over and it was absolute mayhem! Most fun I've had in a while