Russian Physicists bring justice for Nikola Tesla

Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian ScoundrelIndianapolis, IN Icrontian
edited July 2014 in Science & Tech

Apparently some Russian Physicists have gotten together to make Tesla's dream of free electricity for all a reality! They have launched an Indiegogo campaign to Rebuild Tesla's device for transmiting power through the Ionosphere and the ground and right to your home. Possibly Tesla will finally be vindicated and people will finally realize the evil of Edison. Read more here:
http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2014/07/russian-physicists-launch-campaign-to-rebuild-teslas-wardenclyffe-tower-and-power-the-world.html

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Tesla was a brilliant man, but "free electricity through the ionosphere" is crackpot bullshit.

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

I'm much more interested in supporting the Potato Salad Kickstarter instead for some reason.

Creeperbane2colaBuddyJ
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

We'll also be able to go back to Morse code over HF as the dominant long distance communications medium.

oni_dels_kmidga
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

@Winfrey said:
    I'm much more interested in supporting the Potato Salad Kickstarter instead for some reason.

I am tempted to drive to C-Bus for this.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Radio frequencies are subject to the inverse square law, IIRC, power transmission has been found to be subject to an inverse cube law. Sure, it's doable, but to produce even remotely usable current at any appreciable distance means MASSIVE amounts of power required at the source, with the vast majority of it being lost to the aether in transmission.

Wires are better.

• RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian
    edited July 2014

@drasnor said:
    It would not be "lost to the aether". The lost energy would go into energizing the ionosphere; we would get to see some rad aurora and also radio waves would reflect off the ionosphere at much higher frequencies than they do now. The low Earth orbit radiation environment would get a lot worse (no more space station) and satellite communications would be impossible.

So this actually got me thinking. Assuming this actually works, and imagining if Tesla got it implemented during his lifetime, would the space race of the 60's have ever happened, or would we have come to the conclusion that space travel is impossible?