Dota 2 The International 4

Some of you may know The International (TI) is the event in Dota 2 that serves as the world championship. I thought I would make a main discussion for the event since the whole process takes almost two weeks to go through and hopefully some would like to discuss the event through that time. I’ll provide some information on the event and where to watch the matches for those who are interested.

The Dota 2 International is the biggest event in e-sports due the size of the prize pool for the winner and runner-ups. However, the biggest backing of the International is that the prize pool is made up mostly from the Dota 2 community. For the last two years Valve has created a digital book called The Compendium. The cost of the compendium is $10 and $2.50 of that goes to the prize pool of TI. This year Valve added leveling to the Compendium that allowed for more prizes as the higher level your compendium reaches. As the prize pool rises certain goals were made by Valve to reward the player base. Some may have heard about the record for biggest e-sport prize pool from last year was shattered and all goals were reached. Valve responded by adding more goals and to more surprise the community reached those goals. The prize pool is now at $10,481,869. Here is a link to the Compendium page for those that want to track how large the prize pool reaches.

http://www.dota2.com/international/compendium/?sidebar

To view the event you can either watch through the in game client, dota2.com, or watch through Twitch. For people that don’t play Dota 2 but want to watch a game should watch the stream (that I will link tomorrow) for newcomers that will have broadcasters explain the items, abilities, heroes, and etc. Here is a link that discusses the different ways to watch the tournament, a simple schedule layout, and how the prize pool will be distributed.

http://www.dota2.com/international/overview/

I’ll give short summary of how the tournament plays out and the teams that are participating. Four teams will play each other to claim the last wildcard spot on the first day. Then 16 teams play each other once in a best of 1 (bo1) across four days with four matches occurring at the same time. Lowest 6 teams are eliminated with top 2 teams moving on to the main event. The remaining 8 teams play for 6 spots in the main event in bo3 single-elimination bracket. The main event occurs the last 4 days of the tournament.

The teams that were invited are: Alliance (TI3 winner), Titan, Evil Geniuses, Fnatic, Newbee, Vici Gaming, Natus Vincere (TI winner), Team DK, Invictus Gaming (TI2 winner), Cloud9, and Team Empire

The teams that qualified are: Natus Vincere.US, Arrow Gaming, LGD, and Mousesports
Teams playing for last wildcard spot: **Team Liquid, MVP.Phoenix, CIS Gaming, and Virtus.Pro

I know it’s a lot to take in for newcomers but the tournament is insanely fun. I will answer any questions you may have about the event to the best of my knowledge. I will post links tomorrow for the newcomer broadcast and multicast for those interested. Hope you enjoy The International and let’s go Na.vi!!

trooster89RahnalH102MiracleManSBobbyDigi

Comments

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

My body is totally fucking ready.

Marshmellow
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

• MarshmellowMarshmellow Member
    edited July 2014

Here is the link for the newcomer stream

The link for the main English broadcaster stream

Another site to watch the games http://www.dota2.com/international/watch/July8/

The main HUB English stream

Only one game will occur at a time today so I will post the multicast stream tomorrow when 4 games will occur at the same time. We have MVP.Phoenix vs. Virtus.Pro first and then Liquid vs. CIS Gaming second in a bo3 for both matches. The winners of both move on to play for the last wildcard spot. I am so excited!

MiracleManS
    edited July 2014

God this is going to be amazing. I'm secretly rooting for NewBee

Edit: Man, some of these games are so tense and the outcomes are not at all what I was expecting.

SOMEONE BRING THE HYPE TRAIN! Another great day ahead. SO MANY GAMES

Marshmellow
  • The link to view all four games at once: http://multitwitch.tv/dota2ti_1/dota2ti_2/dota2ti_3/dota2ti_4

The next four days are going to be amazing and I hope the teams I like make it through.

trooster89

HYPE

MarshmellowRahnalH102BobbyDigi
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited July 2014

ESPN3 will be covering the playoff rounds, with the final being broadcast on ESPN2

Edit: preview show on ESPN2, not actual game.

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

Interesting