GoPro MP4 video wont play?

budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member

I have about a dozen videos that don't play. It says they are in MP4 format but they don't look like the other dozen or so that are showing and playing.

These are videos from a trip to Indonesia that we just returned from and I surely hope yall can help me out here....not thinking we going back anytime soon!...lol

Let me know what info you need to start. I have tried VLC and WMP.

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Do you have a sample of the output that you feel comfortable sharing temporarily? These are the ones directly exported from the gopro right? Their site indicates that VLC should work, so I'd like to see a file and maybe run it through MediaInfo

• GoPro encodes with h264. MP4 is just a "container" file format that holds both your video and audio track.
    That means you need an h264 decoder installed on your operating system.

If you are on Windows 8 you should be able to play (decode) them without issue already because there is native support.

If you are on a different form of Windows you can try installing an h264 decoder like xvid. Get it here:
    https://www.xvid.org/download/

If you are on a Mac, I have no idea.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

VLC needs no such things, hence me asking what happened. I agree that Xvid would be another good resource to try or their GoPro Studio editor.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

VLC will play H.264 in OsX. Have you tried trying another piece of media encoded H.264? Maybe a quick reinstall of vlc will fix your issue.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

VLC has built-in H.264 decoder. I suspect file damage or a corrupt player install.