What's Your Smartphone Lineage?

2»

Comments

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2014

Samsung Blackjack
    Sony Ericsson K810i (it was a damn updated Bond phone, therefore smart)
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 5

Next up, iPhone 6

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2014

All were the Verizon flavored model:

Samsung Dual Flip (not sure if counts)
    HTC Incredible
    Samsung GNex
    HTC Incredible 2
    Another GNex

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2014

@Thrax said:
    AlexDeGruven‌ is correct. The digitizer layer in the Note series is pressure sensitive. But I'm suspicious that people make use of that pressure sensitivity as the use cases are oddly specific for a phone. In the event my supposition is correct, then any ol' capacitive stylus will do.

I don't make good use of the pressure sensitivity as much as I do the precision. The S-Pen has much narrower tip than any capacitive stylus I've seen. Plus, it slides into the phone, so it's always there.

... until you manage to lose it anyway whilst brewing beer and have to buy another one. I just checked eBay and noticed the knockoffs are much cheaper and more plentiful than when I had to replace mine last year.

edit: another difference is the writing feel. No stylus really feels good on a phone, but the hard plastic tip feels worlds better than the rubber tips on cheap styluses. I have a woven metal fabric-tipped stylus I use with my Kindle Fire that also feels pretty good, although it's better for painting, gaming, or idle poking than for writing (tip width again).

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

T-Mobile G1
    T-Mobile MyTouch
    iPhone 3GS
    Lumia 920
    LG G Flex

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

@Gargoyle said:
    (tip width again).

Preach.

Garg
  • @Thrax‌ @AlexDeGruven‌ - What @Gargoyle said. I've yet to see a capacitive stylus with a firm narrow tip (inb4 Linc comment). If one exists, I'd buy it in a heartbeat for use on my tablet and possibly my phone. The capacitive styluses that I've seen so far don't seem any better than just using my finger (goddamnit, this whole conversation is nothing but giggity). If you guys have some suggestion for a more precise capacitive stylus, I'm all ears. I haven't been able to find one though.

Garg
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

You won't get one. Capacitive screens depend on a particular tip width (ugh) to register a touch properly. More precise pointing devices would actually reduce precision in the end.

If you want really precise stylus-ing, you need to move up to the wacom-powered pens.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@AlexDeGruven said:
    You won't get one. Capacitive screens depend on a particular tip width (just the tip) to register a (man)touch properly. More precise pointing devices would actually reduce precision in the end (inYOURendo).

If you want really precise stylus-ing, you need to move up to the wacom-powered pens (for her pleasure).

fix'd

GargardichokeAlexDeGruven
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@ardichoke said:
    clearly innuendos

ardichoke
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

....yup

• georgehgeorgeh Canton, MI Icrontian

In reverse chronological order, and of varying levels of "smart":

• iPhone 5S
    • iPhone 4
    • iPhone 3G
    • Sony Ericsson K750i - because the Windows smartphone was so awful.
    • HTC Wizard - aka T-Mobile MDA. Awful Windows smartphone from 2005.
    • Nokia 6600 - So much time messing with Symbian OS
    • Nokia 3650 - dat birth control pill keypad
    • Sony Erisson T68i - Because Steve Jobs showed how it could sync over a new technology called "Bluetooth" to Macs with iSync(1) and I do what Steve commands (see more recent phones). Also had a clip-on VGA camera.

(1) I always thought it was weird that Apple forces you to sync your iOS devices with iTunes when they had a perfectly good application for syncing contacts and calendars.