If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Sugestions for second DSLR

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville with a "P" Icrontian
edited Nov 2014 in The Pub

I currently have a Canon 5D MkIII and want to add a second full format camera. I gave my wife my D50 (cropped sensor) as I hated the lens values differing between the 2 cameras. I also did some lens changes. She now has the 24mm-105mm f/4L IS and 70mm-200mm f/2.8L IS lenses. I have gone back to mostly primes with 16mm-35mm f/2.8L (original), 24mm-70mm f/2.8L (original), 85mm f/1.8, 135mm f/2L and 300mm f/4L mostly off craig$list. Since I spent so much on lenses I am kind of strapped for another body. So, I'm wondering if I should get a 5D MkII, 5D MkI, 1Ds MkIII, 1Ds MkII or wait for another 5D MkIII off Crai$list. I have come to the conclusion that I would rather carry 2 cameras with prime lenses than use a zoom for the most part. The 2 zooms I now have will likely be the only ones I ever own again. As I like the lighter weight, higher image quality and larger max aperture of the primes. I recently rented a 6D and wasn't too impressed by it.

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville with a "P" Icrontian
    edited Nov 2014

Now it looks like the 5D Mk4 will be released in April along with the 1Dx Mk ii and the 6D Mk ii. It would be smart to wait unless a fantastic deal jumps in my lap and the money is burning a hole in my pocket. Details of the new versions will be available in mid February.

Of the new lenses, I am really in love with the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 135 f/2 for sheer performance. They are just so clear and sharp, especially the 135 f/2. I can see where I will be taking both of them together a lot.

edited Dec 2014

According to the leaked info on the 5D Mk IV it will boast 36MP,4K video ready?, other specs are expected to be somewhere between 70D and 1Dx and a lot of feature sets similar to the 70D. Since I was able to buy my current 5D Mk III second hand with 32K shutter actuations for $2,300 with the EF24-105 f/4L and all the original supplies and packaging I think I should wait till at least some solid reviews appear on the Mk IV. If they just up the MP to 36 and add wi-fi to the camera I think the new camera would be a step in the right direction. The best thing I liked about the 6D I rented was the wi-fi and the app to remote control the camera with my phone. That gave me all the controls of the camera, a remote shutter release and a nice remote live view all on my phone connected with a direct connection.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Man I wish I could play around with some new gear. I sort of feel like photography is a hobby that has been put on the backburner for me. I still have a Canon 30D that I love but I cannot afford any new lenses or other gear.

I got to play around with the 6D at work and the Wi-Fi was cool for remote shutter via Android app but I found it to be clunky and weird. I wish Canon would just give up and put Android on their cameras.

edited Dec 2014

@primesuspect‌, my fav rental company, Lens Giant is in your backyard. Every so often I will rent something that I want to try. You would not have to pay shipping as they do have local pickup and return. They have most lenses and all the Canon bodies except for the 1D series and the equivalent in Nikon for very reasonable rates. I have purchased 2 of my current lenses from them as well.

@primesuspect said:
    Man I wish I could play around with some new gear. I sort of feel like photography is a hobby that has been put on the backburner for me. I still have a Canon 30D that I love but I cannot afford any new lenses or other gear.

Brian, I was in the same place for a long time after I had over $12,000 in film equipment stolen a little over 20 years ago and could not afford to replace any of it. At the time photography was part of my income and my biggest hobby so it really sucked donkey dicks. I ended up working in an electronics store for $8/hr, which didn't give me any chance of buying pro photo equipment. Then a few years ago I bought my first dslr, a Canon Rebel xsi that I didn't take the time to become properly aquanted with as I just treated it as a point and shoot. It was after I got my 50D that I realized how miserable I was and disgusted with the quality or lack of since going digital. So I started reading and doing research on digital cameras and realized that while the equipment had changed and the method of recording images was different the methods and rules of photography and light were still the same. It's kind of funny how we can get so tangled in the details that we forget or miss the obvious. So, anyway it has taken me over 20 years to get back to anywhere close to where I once was. I encourage you to explore new areas of photography that you can do with what you have and/or can rent/borrow lenses for very little and charge the cost to your mental well being and stimulation. I used to get completely lost in macro photography to where I didn't care how many hours I was at it.

I went to the camera shop to pick up a new Canon 200mm f/2.8 II L lens. While there I looked around and saw a used Canon EOS 1D Mark III body that they were just putting in the case with a $416 price tag. I inquired about it and found out that it had just been to Canon for a regular checkup and adjustments and its owner had fallen on hard times and could not pay for the service. So after giving him 30 days to cough up the cash they were putting it in the case to be sold for the cost of services rendered. It had 1 owner and just under 82k shutter actuations. (Shutter life of these cameras is at least 300k.) The camera is in like new condition both physically and cosmetically. They also had 2 used batteries from other cameras and a charger for another $150, which I got as well. So I got a new to me $5,000 (new)/$850 (current used) camera with a total of 3 batteries and a double charger for $612 including tax. :D I had certain reservations about the image quality compared to my 5D Mark III and initially was disappointed. Then a quick search for tips, tricks and recommendations on settings sent me back out the door to do more testing. One thing that this body does lack is a high def back display to view images on. So you don't know how anything really turns out till you view the images on a larger display. On the other hand the viewfinder is freakn HUGE! I also love the focus screen and have ordered the same for my 5D Mark III. After almost a day of starting from the settings I found on a few sites and playing and tweaking I am now not just happy but very impressed. With roughly 1/2 the MP resolution this camera is producing images that are just awesome! The APS-H sensor is a (1.3:1 crop factor) compared to my other camera (1:1) but I do not mind it at all and it does not drive me crazy like the APS-C (1.6:1) of my 50D. The bokeh this camera produces is also superior to my 5D Mark III after doing some side by side comparison with the same lenses. This changes all my plans now.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Wow... nice find, Goat. Consider me jealous.

edited Feb 2015

Right now I have a limited image base from my new body. But here are a few that I like so far.

BuddyJ

Well, I am at it again. I was initially in love with the 16-35mm f/2.8 zoom and an interesting thing happened. The more I shot with it the more I didn't like it. It became increasingly evident that the lens was really mushy in the corners and it started driving me crazy. I also realized that I had been shooting at both ends of the range. So I put it up for sale and replaced it with a 35mm f/1.4L and a 17mm f/3.5L tilt and shift. I love the performance of each of these a lot more than I ever liked the zoom they are replacing. The tilt and shift lens will keep me interested in it alone for a long time to come. I need to learn more about it and how to get great pictures from it first. I also had a misadventure with my 5D Mark iii in that it went into the lake while photographing birds. It was a lost cause as weather sealing doesn't help much with a serious dunking. I have temporarily replaced it with a 5D Mark ii that I got used with a 50mm f/1.4 lens for $1,100. I am looking at getting a 5Dsr later on if try are as promising as they look.

edited Jul 2015

I love the feel, handling and balance of the 1D Mark III so much that I want to use it all the time over all else. I have been wanting to get a new 1Dx since Canon has kept the ergonomics the same throughout the whole line and confirmed by holding a 1Dx at the store. So I finally decided to go get a 1Dx. It is phenomenal to say the least! I don't notice the weight (3.5 lbs and pretty much the same as my 1D Mark III) because it just handles so well, especially with a heavier lens attached. This and my 200mm f2.8 make for a great combination.

primesuspect