Am I stealing internet?

aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politicoIndianapolis, IN Icrontian

Hi guys,

This issue came up today and I would like your feedback on the issue.

I use my uncle's internet to game and surf the web, which includes taking care of my political advocacy stuff. I want to make clear that he KNOWS that I am using his internet and that he ALLOWS me to use it. Anyway, for the past few days he has not allowed me to use it. I take issue with this because I lost my dad last Tuesday and wanted to play my console games to try and cope with his loss. Anyway, my mother and I were talking about it today and she said that I was "out of line" for STEALING my uncle's internet to play games. Again, I want to make clear that he KNOWS I use it and he ALLOWS me to use it. I told her that every time I ask him about it, he always plays me off as either "You're funny", "You're silly", "You're crazy", or "I didn't turn it off. Did you turn it off, Beth (my aunt)?" So I am asking two questions:

1.) Am I in the wrong?

2.) How do I settle this problem?

Appreciate the feedback.

aspieRommel

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I am so sorry for the loss of your dad, holy crap. You've got much bigger issues to worry about right now; realize that most of what you're going through is most likely emotional trauma and the way people deal with loss is different for everybody.

A public forum is not the place to answer legal questions; it doesn't sound like you're "stealing" internet, but that's the least of your worries right now.

GnomeQueenmidga
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

The very definition of theft is to take something without authorization, privilege or consent. You have all three.

midga
  • aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

@primesuspect‌ I understand that. We have had everything taken care of in regards to my dad and had the service for him yesterday. The only reason I would ask something like this is because I wanted to play online with my online friends and have that ray of sunshine during a dark time in my life and some people think that it is "out of line" for me to want to have that.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

I am sorry to hear what you are going through aspieRommel. It's got to be rough.

@aspieRommel said:
    I wanted to play online with my online friends and have that ray of sunshine during a dark time in my life and some people think that it is "out of line" for me to want to have that.

To be blunt, those people are 100% wrong. Only you know what will help you through the grieving process. It is no one elses business to tell you how you should or shouldn't grieve. Stay strong Dude.

-Digi

@CB‌ I get access by going to the McDonalds nearby and using their internet for my PC. But sometimes I may not have the money.

@BobbyDigi‌ @CB‌ Also, I would love to have my own internet access when I have the money, but being a person who fill out multiple job apps but gets no call backs, I'm not able to.

@BobbyDigi‌ @CB‌ Also, for the record, it turns out my uncle got a new router that is password protected. I asked him if I could get the key and he said that he wouldn't give it to me until he learns more about it. I just hope he means what he says.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

The wireless key is not something that is sensitive and should be held back from you. Perhaps the administrator password (which should not be the same as the wireless key) is something he needs to hold back, but the wireless key is required for anyone who wants to use the internet at that location.

@Tushon‌ Right, that is all I ask for. I even offer to do stuff for him in return for access.

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

There might be places besides McD's that would be willing to let you use the wifi au gratis. Not a solution, but a cheaper stopgap.

• MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian

@aspieRommel said:
    BobbyDigi‌ CB‌ Also, I would love to have my own internet access when I have the money, but being a person who fill out multiple job apps but gets no call backs, I'm not able to.

Do some research, take some aptitude tests, apply for a student loan and go to post secondary. It'll be the best decision you make.

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

Trade schools are awesome.

Signal

@midga‌ I plan on going to one for auto mechanics when I get enough money.

GHoosdummidga