Fite me in the new Unreal Tournament (pre-alpha)

DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole'San Jose, CA Icrontian

You heard me right! The new UT pre-alpha is out!

Download it here:
http://www.unrealtournament.com/blog/

It's so awesome!!!

ChoochLincUPSLynxJBoogaloo

Comments

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

So I was playing this Friday and hot damn it looks hella good. Also the server browser is fucking awful hopefully they fix that.

• Prepare to be fragged noobz

Needs more players. Still loving the flak cannon. Appreciating the bio rifle more now.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

downloaded it, will play

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

Paging @sharkydart

primesuspect
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

I feel a bit burned after the last couple iterations.

Thrax

@midga said:
    I feel a bit burned after the last couple iterations.

What do you mean couple? Granted UT 3 was fucking awful but the one before that was UT 2004 which is still up there as one of my favorite games ever. The little I played so far it feels better than UT 3.

primesuspect
    edited March 2015

2k4 was good stuff (really loved Invasion with the UTRPG mod). 2k3 was Horrid, so was Unreal 2 (that class based thinger), so was Unreal Tony Hawk Black whateverthehell that was called with the skateboards. That might have been 3, I'm not sure. The original UT still tops my list of FPSes, especially on a good S/C server, or with the Off World Online's TallyHo! mod and the GOTYE content.

I don't generally care for the mods that may be why we differ. I pretty much only play deathmatch and CTF.

TallyHo was basically Invasion before Invasion existed, except set up a little differently than your typical progressive-wave structure.

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

I'm really digging this new Unreal Tournament. I missed arena shooters, and they're totally saying to hell with convention and sticking old school with it. It feels very UT'99-2K4 ish.

Rocket launcher feels a little off to me, it doesn't feel nearly lethal enough. And the secondary on the minigun feels weird. Other than that though, this is an extremely promising proof of concept pre-alpha.

midga

@UPSLynx said:
    I'm really digging this new Unreal Tournament. I missed arena shooters, and they're totally saying to hell with convention and sticking old school with it. It feels very UT'99-2K4 ish.

Rocket launcher feels a little off to me, it doesn't feel nearly lethal enough. And the secondary on the minigun feels weird. Other than that though, this is an extremely promising proof of concept pre-alpha.

Good I thought I was just awful with the rock lawnchair. It feels slow.

• The update from the last couple days seems to have improved my performance a good bit. I'll give Epic credit for taking a risk and putting it out there this raw, they could turn a lot of less educated gamers off that don't understand how the process works. Still a ton of bugs to iron out and content to add, but when the gameplay flows it feels like UT again, and I very much look forward to playing it in resolutions beyond 1080p for serious precision fragging.

• sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian

:)

RyderPirateNinja
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

Figures that the first comment on IC in months by @sharkydart would be in an Unreal Tournament thread.

Ryder
  • @midga said:
    2k3 was Horrid, so was Unreal 2 (that class based thinger),

If I could re introduce anything from Unreal 2 it would be the spider gun. The spider gun is the single most satisfying way to eliminate your virtual enemies. I'd replace the bio rifle with the spider gun.

• And I agree with Bobby, they could un nerf the rocket launcher a bit. I think it needs to deal a little more splash damage. I'm a splash player, aim at the feet watch you bounce then pounce. Feels like the splash radius is weak.

I admit, spider mines are pretty cool. I prefer the smiley face mines from GoTYE, though