Any one playing Pillars of Eternity?

I promised myself that I would never buy a game on steam that is full price. I loved the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale set of games so much and kept hearing good things about Pillars that I broke my rule.

So I now have 9 hours into the game and while I was disappointed at first I am really enjoying it. Why was I disappointed? I took my original approach to these types of RPGs and zipped through all the dialogs (looking for quests only) and tried to hack-and-slash my way through the game. After dying a bunch and starting three different characters I read a blog post by the developers where they tried to make the game different. Combat is suppose to be dangerous and avoided if it can (you don't even get XP for combat). The game is meant to be story driven and you need to pay attention the dialog.

Now that I figured that out I am really enjoying the game.

If anyone else has played, what do you think? Any (non-spoiler) tips?

Comments

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@mrklewis said:
    I promised myself that I would never buy a game on steam that is full price. I loved the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale set of games so much and kept hearing good things about Pillars that I broke my rule.

GOG has it too for those who are interested. I love me some GOG.

• CelshCelsh Member

I've borrowed this game. Sadly I can't get though the hardest part, character creation. I have three hours played, all in character creation and up to the first fight. I really really want to play it.

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

I like what I have played so far. Looking forward to having some free time soon to play it.