[SPESS] NASA confirms Kepler 452b to be closest ever found to Earth-like planet

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited July 2015 in Science & Tech

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

A bigger, older "cousin" with unknown terrestrial and atmospheric composition? Seems a pretty liberal definition of cousin.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

You've never met some of my cousins, then

oni_delsUPSLynxBlueTattooGnomeQueen
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

it's that cousin from the side of the family that you only hear about during christmas dinner...

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    You've never met some of my cousins, then

Lots of ectoplasmic entities in your family tree, then?

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    A bigger, older "cousin" with unknown terrestrial and atmospheric composition? Seems a pretty liberal definition of cousin.

Space needs liberal definitions for this :biggrin:

In the sun's habitable zone, likely rocky surface is a pretty big start compared to the 1500-2000 others which didn't exhibit it (15-20 are near, this is one of the better potential matches AFAIK).

http://phl.upr.edu/projects/habitable-exoplanets-catalog

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

With 2G surface gravity, I hope you have good cardio and have been doing your squats. Also worth noting, chemical rocket propulsion would not be sufficient to get you to orbit.

CBMt_Goat
  • HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

@drasnor said:
    With 2G surface gravity, I hope you have good cardio and have been doing your squats. Also worth noting, chemical rocket propulsion would not be sufficient to get you to orbit.

How long until we expect to be actually landing on the surfaces of planets outside our solar system? 100 years? More? Will we really still be relying on chemical rocket propulsion?

I figured I'd mention it in case of cataclysm and you need to reboot your technology and industrial base from the iron age.

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

I was seriously asking. Is there a projected time table for that?

@XGPHero said:
    I was seriously asking. Is there a projected time table for that?

There is not what anyone would consider a timetable or any other kind of directed project to have that done by a particular time. However, the 100-year Starship folks are working the strategic direction and fostering basic research in science and social studies so that we'll know how to do it. At the same time, the NASA Eagleworks folks are working on really low technical readiness level propulsion systems like warp drive.

Chooch
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian

@drasnor said:

That is exactly what came to my mind. Maybe we would evolve into cockroach like humanoids as a result.

@XGPHero said:
    How long until we expect to be actually landing on the surfaces of planets outside our solar system? 100 years? More? Will we really still be relying on chemical rocket propulsion?

Has anyone been paying attention to what the Russians are planning for Mars? Or. Better yet Taylor Wilson with his refrigerator size salt reactors for space travel???

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

No problem, just train in 10x gravity while you're in transit, like Goku did.

Chooch