"Unknown" CPU in BIOS

scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
edited February 2004 in Hardware
Hi Guys
I got my NF7 ( no S ) and my barton. I am not sure if this post goes in here or overclocking or bios thread ? But here it is.

Processor from Newegg the stepping is IQYFA 0343 MPMW

AMD Mobile Athlon XP 2500+, 266 FSB, 512K Cache - OEM
(limit 5 per customer)

Specification
Manufacturer: AMD
Model: AXMH2500FQQ4C
Core: Barton
Operating Frequency: 1.83GHz
FSB: 266MHz
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/512K
Voltage: 1.25V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket A
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
Packaging: OEM

I installed the CPU heatsink and fan on the mobo and put in two sticks of OCZ EL 3200 ( 256's ) Set it all on the bench no case and fired it up and went into the Bios. Board is rev 2.0 and bios is 20.
After reading the manual a couple of times I was expecting the Bios to recognize my new CPU as a 2500+ it did not' It said "unknown CPU Type " and had the FSB @ 100 and the multi at 6x. So I shut it off and cleared the CMOS and tried again. Still unrecognized. So I started playing with settings.
In soft menu III
CPU Name is Unknown
and my only option for "CPU Operating Speed" is "user defined"

I have multi's up to 22
the first one I tried was 133 x 18 it ran prime 95 for about 10 min before I got an error. Then I tried 166 x 14 and I had an error right away. Voltage was at 1.5 so I bumped it to 1.6 and it ran prime for a couple hours with no errors.
anyway.... now I have it at 200 x 12 with voltage at 1.625 memory in sync and it ran prime95 for 8 hours before I shut it off and turned FAH on and it has been working on a Tinker for the last 8 hours. Temp is at 42C But again it is just sitting on the bench.

There is a newer Bios available 21 I think, but should I even mess with it ? I was really puzzled why it was not recognized. But it runs good
Is this common or weird?

screenie
NF7.JPG 46.4K

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited February 2004
    Try 11*166 and it should say 2500+. That or set it to 2500+ and it should say that as well.

Its not really that important if the BIOS knows that it is.

Nice OC. Bios 20 should be fine.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited February 2004
    Mine does the same on one of my boards, after I turned the Thorton into a Barton but didn't mod the fsb bridge and I'm running an old Equito modded 10 bios. Don't know what caused it to do this.
  • edited February 2004
    The mobile chips will do this, but it's nothing to be concerned with. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with extra bridge connected on the L5 bridge set which denotes a mobile proc to the chipset and desktop chips not recognizing it. It will run just fine though. Both my mobile 2400s do the same thing in both the nf7 and the a7n8x.

BTW, I'm curious to see what kind of overclock you can get out of that chip. Several folks at overclockers.com are reporting 2.6-2.8 overclocks on air and even better wc.
  • edited February 2004
    BTW, that proc is doing great, scott. My mobile 2400s need 1.825-1.85v to get to that speed. Definitely see what your max is with that chip.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    I had the same thought when I got my XP-M chip, scott.

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8903

Which bridge is it, mud, and can it be safely cut?
  • edited February 2004
    I'd have to go look again, but I tried blowing the bridge and it still shows as unknown on that proc by wcpuid and cpuz. What's funny though is that it shows up as a mobile XP on the bios screen at bootup after I blew that bridge and would show as unknown on the bios screen before blowing that bridge. You might also have to connect the L6 bridges that are cut on the mobiles also, and maybe cut the bridge that sets low sense or high sense on the L3's for it to read right. I just don't worry about it any more.:)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    I don't think I'll try it then either...
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Well seeing as how this is my first foray into the world of OC'ing ... I am happy. That is better than 500 mhz for free !
    I bumped the core voltage up to 1.7 and the dram to 2.8 relaxed the timings and tried a multi of 12.5 @ 200 fsb and ran prime95 it only went about 5 minutes before error.
    then tried 12 x 209 it also only went about 5 minutes before errors. As I said I am not too sure what I am doing so I am taking it slow. I want the rig to be good and stable for FAH. It seems to be so far. But I still have to put it in a box and see how my temps will be in the confines of a happy home. On the bench they never went over 44C , and that is with fresh AS3. it might drop a bit when it burns in or cures.

Sorry this turned into an OC thread in the Mobo forum. Funny how things turn.
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited February 2004
    12x200 @ 1.6vcore is a great overclock. My 2400-m is less fortunate, but that might be because I'm running an an7 (this board sucks). Once I get my rma back I'll be putting this an7 back into my dad's pc and put the nf7-s 2.0 back into my rig.

Good job on the oc. My 2400-m only got to ~2362 @ 1.78vcore.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2004
    12x216=2592 is the highest I have taken my M2500xp. I was so excited. I started running benchmark after benchmark. I wanted to take one big picture of the results at the same time.

Time came to run 3dmarks 2001se. I used power strip to oc my bios flashed 9500pro. Hit benchmark and boom screen went blank. Restart and windows would not bootup. oh well moved on to a fresh install thats I was going to do anyways :)

So for now i'm just hanging around 2200mghz to 2400mghz till I get a new mobo to replace my a7n8xDL v1.4lamer.

mobile cpu's are the way to go. lower voltages and temps, just as high if not higher overclocks than the desktop bartons.