Team switching projects: Choose a new one!

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited April 2004 in Folding@Home
There have been some recent developments at Stanford that has caused much frustration and bad blood between various elements of the project. I won't elaborate on it more than that, but you can probably find the related discussions on the Folding Community website.

Given these developments, the team's leadership has voted unanimously to switch distributed computing projects. We will be migrating the team en masse to a new project to replace Folding@Home. We've decided to open a public vote to determine which new project to participate in. Thanks for your continued support of Team Short-Media.

-The Team Staff

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    April Fools?...I sure hope so. (apparently, there have been ~20 votes on 4 views too :D)

I can't find any threads other than the one you posted about the stats @ the folding community forums, and there's not really anything there, but I think that if the team is planning on making such a drastic move, all members of the team should know what the spat was over. Just my $0.02
  • edited April 2004
    Well, as far as I'm concerned I guess I'll just carry on for team 93 alone for as long as I have internet (the next couple of days) or if the team number is removed I'll just fold annon. because folding is very important to me, I can give a rat's ass about Stanford's internal politics.
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    chain of emotions:

:eek2:

:shakehead

;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D

nice one there keeb's ... got about 10 seconds of anguish out of me :)
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    madmat wrote:
    Well, as far as I'm concerned I guess I'll just carry on for team 93 alone for as long as I have internet (the next couple of days) or if the team number is removed I'll just fold annon. because folding is very important to me, I can give a rat's ass about Stanford's internal politics.

Well keebs, you got one ;D;D;D;D
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Honestly though...most april fools jokes are cheery and light-hearted...this one kinda just...sucks.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited April 2004
    pfft seti wth
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    shwaip wrote:
    Honestly though...most april fools jokes are cheery and light-hearted...this one kinda just...sucks.
    The punch line is the tally for SETI ;)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    The punch line is the tally for SETI ;)
    Ahahahahaha... Short-Media goes hunting for intelligent life in outer space ;D

Read into that whatever the hell you want :p:D
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited April 2004
    3/4 of the day finished (in OZ anyway), just woke from an afternoon nap, as you do when you get older, and read the poll. Suckered me for an instance. Too shocked to remember today's date. :eek2:

Sure had me going there for a bit, Keebs and Shorty. :-/

Now my heart has stopped pulputating, i can thinks of only one word: BASTARDS. :nudge: :bigggrin:
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    dragonV8 wrote:
    3/4 of the day finished (in OZ anyway), just woke from an afternoon nap, as you do when you get older, and read the poll. Suckered me for an instance. Too shocked to remember today's date. :eek2:

Sure had me going there for a bit, Keebs and Shorty. :-/

Now my heart has stopped pulputating, i can thinks of only one word: BASTARDS. :nudge: :bigggrin:
    ;D;D:D
  • BuiesCreek847BuiesCreek847 In a van, down by the river, NC Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Apple juice!
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2004
    I was thinking where was this run by me??...oh yeah.....:rolleyes2
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited April 2004
    This day sucks. It suck more since i sometimes believe stuff without thinking ahead. Did i tell you that this day sucks. :(:)
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Ya got me, just for a split second but you got me. ;D
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    SETI!?!!? I was about to mash IC_11 with a sledgehammer. Won't have mah baby reduced to a life of hunting "aliens."

You're a dirty, sneaky man, keebs. Playing tricks on me so early in the morning. :P
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    I found a new project.... "Q@Home" Its a great project. Everyone sends me their computers and I use them for "research"!!!! I like this idea... I could host a LAN everyday and charge people to help with my "research". Neverending LAN!!!! The thought is mind boggling.....

Who's first.... Just PM me with your 8 page contract stating that I will Own your PC in everyway and that the donation is NOT tax-deductable.... standard stuff, just initial on each page and sign away... OH yeah, you pay shipping... and a small "handling charge" too.... say $30 each.... Yep that's it. You pay to ship, you pay for handling and I get your PC.... Come on now... if you would have thought of this first, you would have been the happy one. Its for research....

-qch
    Q@Home Project Leader
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    You mean now I have to change my whole farm back to F@H??? :thumbsup:
    I wanna find extratesticles! :clap:
  • DragstkDragstk Syracuse, N.Y.
    edited April 2004
    :wtf: Ok, you got me. I was stunned for a second. :confused:
    I get it now.
    Good one, and on so many people in 1 try
    ;D;D
    Dragstk
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited April 2004
    Sorry - I don't care what day it is. That wasn't funny! I expect more from team leaders. Especially since Stanford HAS been going through some changes and Mr General IS writing new stats. VERY POOR TASTE. Jack
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    My Federal Lab sends out daily news... today's was ALL an April Fools joke.
    The MiniBooNE experiment disappears into an orange ball of plasma.
    and
    Cafeteria wrote:
    Caviar service with blini/Vodka flight $3.50/ Lobster fra diavolo $4.75/ Fresh foie gras with fig confiture $2.50/ Souffle Grand Marnier $3.25

Today I take everything with a grain of salt. I though it wasn't funny when I didn't know it was a joke, then thought it was funny because it made me mad when it wasn't... get my point? I knew S-M wouldn't do this without some heads up. Goota love the ceativity of the staff. Good one Gen. Keebs.

-qch
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Find-a-Drug !!!!!!!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2004
    Does this mean Ann-Margret's not coming?
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited April 2004
    I'll be Folding for a cure to Mad Hamster Disease, better known as RSE (Related to BSE but with smaller proteins)
  • edited April 2004
    Well, heck, when I posted it was close to 2 A.M. my time so it was still last night as far as I was concerned. I was caught completely flat footed.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited April 2004
    witenoiz wrote:
    Sorry - I don't care what day it is. That wasn't funny! I expect more from team leaders. Especially since Stanford HAS been going through some changes and Mr General IS writing new stats. VERY POOR TASTE. Jack

Oh come one witenoiz, lighten up. If we can't laugh at ourselves at least once a year, then when can we?

I think it was quite funny. Don't you see, a joke like this *has* to come from one of the Team Leaders, otherwise it lacks the deadpan authenticity needed to be an effective April Fool's Joke. And since Folding is one of the cornerstones of this community, a little "startle" to our Team on April Fools is actually very amusing.

Good one Keebs, you almost got a bunch of us! :respect:

Dexter...
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited April 2004
    I'll go back to Team Prescient - I am #1 there! Maybe I will fold again for team 93 when I drop back to #50. Jack
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited April 2004
    csimon wrote:
    You mean now I have to change my whole farm back to F@H??? :thumbsup:
    I wanna find extratesticles! :clap:

um... :nudge:
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    witenoiz wrote:
    I'll go back to Team Prescient - I am #1 there! Maybe I will fold again for team 93 when I drop back to #50. Jack
    It seems a shame to do something like that over an April Fools Day joke, but that's your prerogative. This place has always had a great sense of humor and I think we'd be sorely mistaken to ever lose track of that. Nevertheless, I regret that you took offense.

However, I took great offense at your statement that
    witenoiz wrote:
    I expect more from team leaders.
    First, let me say clarify that I was the only instigator here. As you can no doubt tell, the other staff were just as suprised as you. Secondly, it's ironic to say you expect more of me and then in the next sentence mention that I'm spending every moment of my free time trying to recode our stats system as fast as I can. To expect more from me seems quite disrepectful of the effort I put forth to make this team the best it can be. Furthermore, the day that I am unable to laugh at myself and have fun on April Fools Day (possibly my favorite day of the year) is the day that I will have to reevaluate my life.

Again, I apologize for any offense you've taken from my generally innocuous joke.

Now... on with the levity! :p
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited April 2004
    Yeah to read something this day and believe it is a mistake. (; Just take everything with a truck load of salt (especially if it comes from mmonin :nudge:) but don't take it to seriously. :) So what if keebs really had had it with stanford and wanted to switch @home project. That's not impossible though i doub't that stanford will make such big mistakes to turn people off from folding.

The big emotional setback will come tomorrow when you have a fresh mind and think back of today and go like WTH, OMFG how could i fall for that, whatever it might be. :D So just misbelieve everything but don't get upset.
  • ginipigginipig OH, NOES
    edited April 2004
    Hehee :D

You should've closed the thread; that would've garnered much more anguish.