Official 1st Annual SM LAN picture thread

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Oh, it was weird two years ago. It all went downhill from there.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2004
    Bah I got this I idea right after the stick figure thing. First time at using PhotoShop. I dont know how to take the image and pull it foward to make it look like the original like I would have liked to see it. But oh well here is anyway.

A before and after pic:
    edited May 2004
    Well. That's grizzly.
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited May 2004
    It was a fun time.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    someone post the group picture!!!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    BTW guys... Jingo is Nick, the guy who was playing on my computer most of the night. Nick is Rick's son (Rick being one of the employees of Deebe's).

Welcome to the forums, Nick :)
  • mewashere03mewashere03 Michigan
    edited May 2004
    Yes we need more pictures, these are great and all, but that was only the begining.
    edited May 2004
    test_tube_tony to primesuspect:
    "Hey Brian. Take this Big Red wrapper. Lick the back. Stick it to your forehead. Let it sit there."
    primesuspect does what Tony says.

AHHHH THE FSCKING BURN!

Thrax: "Does it really burn that bad?"

Prime: "HELL YES! IT HURTS BAD!"

thrax tries it.....

The result?
    edited May 2004
    It burns like crazy. Don't try that **** at home, guys. Only under the close and attentive supervision of 31 sleep-deprived geeks.
    edited May 2004
    And of course, since it hurt so bad, everyone had to try it.

Here's MicroMan doing the duty..
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited May 2004
    :eek: What wrapper? :confused:
    edited May 2004
    hot red gum wrapper
    edited May 2004
    After I made the photochop of Thrax loving Intel, I felt bad, so I decided to make nice with him.
    edited May 2004
    The proper wrapper is Wrigley's Big Red
    edited May 2004
    It seems like a few people were having hardware problems. I ended up being one of them. Whenever I launched a game that required a CD, the computer would hard freeze upon accessing the drive.

Then, upon reboot, the BIOS would detect the DVD drive as a bunch of garbage characters. Sometimes instead of garbage characters, it would call the drive "Rony" instead of "Sony".... :-/
    edited May 2004
    One of the highlights of my weekend was the chance to meet CitrixMeta and have a nice two hour conversation with him. He is one of the nicest, most genuine guys I have had the pleasure to meet.
    Icrontic & Short-Media represent!
    edited May 2004
    After I made the photochop of Thrax loving Intel, I felt bad, so I decided to make nice with him.

Oh god. That picture came out brilliantly.
    edited May 2004
    Group shot... Too bad everyone didn't make it into the group shot.
    edited May 2004
    We had a special award prepared for Thrax. The 2004 Intel Appreciation Award. The award consisted of a brand new craptastic P4 all copper heatsink. We figure that we would provide a building block for Thrax to start a new P4 system.

He may have other ideas for it.... ;D
    edited May 2004
    ]\/[agic had computer problems for the first entire day he was here. Then today, when he was packing up, I caught him surfing around the parking lot on his case (it has casters on the bottom).... And he wonders why his computer is jacked up ;D
    edited May 2004
    Pentium 4. Thermaltake. :rant: It burns like fire to hold.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited May 2004
    You know, you'll kill me for this, but I have the <a href="http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/spark/a1586.htm">Spark 5</a>, which is smaller and has a lower power fan than the Spark 7, and it does very well. Thermaltake's Orbs are crap, but 30*C at idle on a 2.8E isn't too bad.
    edited May 2004
    Well.... the LAN party was GREAT! but i have to say that gum wrapper thing was hillarious! You guys are idiots.
    edited May 2004
    No no. I assure you that the "Big Red Experiment" was in the best interests of science, and therefore is classified as a mercilessly intelligent action. :range:
    edited May 2004
    Uh huh... I think I've heard that somewhere before... :rolleyes2
    edited May 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    Oh god. That picture came out brilliantly.

yes, all thanks to my 1337 photo taking skills, hehe
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited May 2004
    [IMG]http://www.ocomik.net/images/game over.jpg[/IMG]

If I was to describe the SM LAN in one word, it would be WOW! Not only was the gaming a blast but I had the opportunity to meet some really nice people, laugh my A$$ off over some of the craziest (and perhaps geekiest) pranks, optimize my system (Thx Thrax) and generally escape the day-to-day grind.

Thanks to Primesuspect and the SM crew for bringing this thing together!
    Thanks to QCH for making me aware of Short-Media and the SM LAN.
    Thanks to Norge for keeping me laughing non-stop with his dry, witty dialogue over the comm-link during BF1942 Desert Combat sessions.
    Thanks to Clutch and EgoShowcase for taking in the "OLD" guys and making them feel at home.
    Thanks to Thrax for the tweak tips and making me feel guilty for using my idle computer cycles to search for aliens instead of curing cancer.
    Thanks to Sharky, Reverb, and TestTubeTony for carrying me to the UT2K4 finals.

And thanks to everyone else for making this event a blast. I can't wait for next year.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    OK, let's do it again now...
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Our other Brother Could not make it. He had a "gig" of some kind
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Ok, the whole Thrax and Intel thing is getting kinda wierd....

Thrax loves AMD. I like Intel more. For what Thrax does, his fav works. For what I do, my Intel stuff works.

We have been going back and forth about "BEST" hardware not being universally or absolutely best VS. "AMD IS THE BEST, PERIOD" for the whole existence of the Short-Media site, almost. So, some folks did a "turn about is fair play" thing and photochopped\morphed Thrax into an Intel lover.

Very few "totally absolute bests" in IT or in real life. AMD ain't one, Intel ain't one. Best for me is NOT best for HIM, AND VICE VERSA. Because we do different things with our computers.

* John_D needs to get back to work, more later.... :D