Modding the modem; Cooling the cable connection.

MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
edited June 2004 in Science & Tech
How many have thought a ADSL/DSL modem could generate enough heat to cause instability? We went where others haven't looked and packed on additional cooling power to, of all things, the modem.

Check it out here.

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2004
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited June 2004
    damn...soon as I edit an article....link goes away..back now. (Add to the site glitch pile)

Ya know...it's a durn interesting piece by Geeky1. Simple but a "who'da thunk it?". :)
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2004
    MediaMan wrote:
    Ya know...it's a durn interesting piece by Geeky1. Simple but a "who'da thunk it?". :)

Thanks. :)

//Edit

Ya know... I took apart my routers, too (a Linksys 4 port 10/100 thing, and a D-Link 4 port 10/100 + 802.11b (22Mbps "turbo") thing) but didn't find anything that got hot enough to heatsink. :( I opened up the vents on the D-Link to allow air to flow more freely through it anyhow, though... :D
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Watercool it! :crazy:
    edited June 2004
    Do NOT give me ideas.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    I like it. Great things have been accomplished simply because someone became curious. 'What if...' and all that.

Modem on a half shell. Add some nuts and bananas.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2004
    I don't own it anymore but the old fiber gigabit rack mount switch I had was the second loudest piece of equipement I had in my rack. It was meant for noisy computer rooms and big ass fans that were loud as h*ll

Tex
    edited June 2004
    I've got a 3Com 24 port rackmount 10/100 hub (switch?). Loud as hell. I still haven't figured out how to get it open, either... :-/:D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Try a hammer and wood chisel.
  • edited June 2004
    This will get it open

KF
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    KingFish wrote:
    This will get it open

KF

Flame is too yellow.... Nice blue flame with a small light blue cone. That's Hot...