Hi guys.

Okay, I have a sound issue. To start, here are the specs:

Processor: Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
Video: ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB on 3.5 Catalysts
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Live!
Memory: 512MB PC2100 DDR RAM
Hard Drive: Maxtor 60GB 7200RPM with 8MB Cache

----

Okay, the problem is, when I'm gaming, it starts off the sound is fine (this is mainly in BF1942). About 30 seconds in, the sound will start getting staticy, then all of a sudden it will go PSSSHFHFHS and will scream this earsplittting static for a random amount of time, from 5 minutes to 30. Then, in small periods, the sound will be perfect again. This has also happened with Splinter Cell. However, all other games and all music (using winAMP) is error free. The SBL drivers are current.

I think it might've also been happening before i installed the Live! software, on my Intel motherboard's onboard sound, but I'm not sure.

Any help appreciated. All sound settings, all turning off onboard sound in BIOs, and even plugging the speakers into the right ports (i had them on the wrong ones, but they inexplicably still worked) have done nothing to alleviate the problem.

Comments

• astroworpastroworp Northridge, CA
    edited July 2003
    could it be a directX issue? do you have the latest version of that installed?
  • edited July 2003
    version 9.0a
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2003
    What mboard? if it's a via-based board, I'm not surprised that you're having problems. If not, then all I can suggest is format and reinstall with the latest drivers. Via chipsets and creative cards do NOT get along tho...
  • edited July 2003
    Gah, I have the box around here somewhere. I know the brand is intel and it's 845 something, I'll find it tomorrow when I won't wake everyone up by looking.

Is there any way I can determine my type of motherboard in windows? An ID program like CPU ID for processors?
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited July 2003
    Try a different PCI slot, Live!s are finiky. And i think SiSoft Sandra would tell you your mb manufacturer.

~dodo
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    I would try (like folk have said), moving the card around a bit, try different PCI slots, try several.

Also, get the latest chipset drivers for you mobo, when you confirm exactly what chipset it has obviously. Also, make sure you have the latest mobo BIOS. I know that there are some issues with the 9700 Pro and Creative cards on certain boards, so make sure everything you can possibly think of is bang up to date.

Also, there is a set of drivers I posted in the new temp downloads thread in the software forum, labelled Soundblaster Live Drivers v3512. Give them a try. When I used to use the SBLIVE, those drivers worked the best. But it all depends on which model of the SBLIVE you have. Nevertheless give them a try.

Do all of the above, and, all of the above above, and then get back to us.

Cheers
  • edited July 2003
    Thanks guys. I beleive the problem may have been some part of both games' software. I downloaded the BF1942 1.4 Patch, the 70 meg one, and all static problems dissapeared.

This game kicks ass
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2003
    Generally, it's a good idea not to have your video adapter & sound card sharing the same interrupts, as that has a habit of generating static that is directly output to your speakers.

If the problem ever does pop up again, you could try the "Live/Audigy 1 --> Audigy 2" driver hack. I've got an ol' SB Live (4.1) installed in an AMD Athlon 1000 Slot A system that used to crackle & pop really badly (VIA Chipset, KX133), especially when I utilized the standard LiveWare drivers. Updating those drivers to the ones utilized in the Audigy 2 driver hack cured the problems completely.