Not detecting drives at start up

reverbreverb D-Town
edited July 2004 in Hardware
This is my parents computer that keeps on having problems. ECS L7s7a2, AMD 2000+ WD 40gig Nvidia 440mx. There computer will not detect any drives at start up. If anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks reverb

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    So, is it not booting, IE not detecting drives in BIOS??? Or does Windows load, meaning it is finding the HD, then no other drives are being found in Windows???

If not booting,

Then probably CMOS table mashed (reset CMOS, ie clear it, if no help then R&R CMOS battery, reset CMOS after replacing also maybe) or hardware problems (frequently cabling, though a RAM stick that is bad can result in a mess for Windows also). Possibly a cable worked loose at one end, from connector. If no lights either, probnlem could eb a power cord partly not connected to a drive, either HD or CD-ROM.

If booting to Windows, next question is, which version???? And what is not wokring, if booting to Windows, more specifically??? Floppy, CD-R drive, burner drives if any, LS-120, etc???
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Basic question - Have you confirmed the jumper setting for the drive(s)?
  • reverbreverb D-Town
    edited July 2004
    well mcbain also told me to try resting the cmos. i will give that a try when i get home. It is not finding the Hdd, cd or cdr. Thanks.
  • reverbreverb D-Town
    edited July 2004
    Well, I reset the CMOS and drivers were detected. However,it would start up in safe mode. I reset the computer and the drives weren't detected again. I then reset the CMOS and still the drives weren't detected. What should be my next course of action. :rant:
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited July 2004
    Unplug all other drives except your windows drive. Reset cmos...boot....hopefully into windows.

Shut down...check jumpers....and add 1 drive at a time. Sometimes when 1 drive takes a poop....and you have it on master w/slave config, it won't recognize any of em. So just add one with the windows drive and eliminate that as a possible bad drive.
  • SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
    edited July 2004
    i would try a spare drive if you have any laying around the house to see if it's a problem with the motherboard or a problem with the drives themselves. Also have you checked your jumper settings?
  • reverbreverb D-Town
    edited July 2004
    It works, it works. the cdrw drive was bad.