F@H as service.

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited July 2004 in Folding@Home
I want to run folding on the kids PC, It has several accounts. Can I run it as a service so it runs on all accounts, all the time, and how do I set it up?
It only has my old 1.4 Athlon but every little helps.

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2004
    see pressX's console/screen/gui thread

-or-

just go here
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited June 2004
    You can setup folding@home as a service with Fire Daemon. It's pretty simple. I did it on the PIII in the other room since it too has multiple accounts. I'll try and find the tutorial for it...

EDIT: Didn't see Baron's post. Yeah, that's the tutorial he linked to.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    bothered ...when F@H is set as a service it will run even without logging in and will run no matter which account is being used ...it just runs continuously unless you stop the service. That's the beauty of installing F@H as a service! :fold:
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited June 2004
    Cheers guys. I have it on my PC and it runs all the time the PC is on. I did install it on the kids but it never seems to be on. I try and set it up.
    Thanks again.
    edited June 2004
    TheBaron, nice easy little guide there. I don't see any probs with that. As I said, the kids PC has my old 1.4 in it. It isn't too good at folding, a lot slower than my new xp3200, but it will add something. Thanks again.
    edited June 2004
    hey i've got a 733 mhz p3 and a 1525 mhz AXP folding, your 1.4 is no slouch compared to the everyday persons PCs
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited June 2004
    Does anyone have an older version of FireDaemon in which you can install more than one service for free? I'm trying to setup my P4HT and I can't find any versions that will allow for this.

TIA,
    Al
    edited June 2004
    no, but hanging around somewhere is a great guide for manually doing a service install not using firedaemon, i.e. doing all the fixin's yourself. i'll see if i can find it
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited June 2004
    There are ways to make FAH run as a service manually or with other service managers. I don't know of other examples of some service managers but you can try this. It's for Windows NT/2000/XP. It was my first result on a yahoo search, "running folding@home as a service". Some basic searching should get you an answer, if the link above doesn't work.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    A really easy way to do it is to set it up as a scheduled task, to run at boot. I'll post a screenshot in a second, when I get to my laptop.

Just configure the "schedule" page like this:
    1.JPG 19.8K
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    no no no ... everybody's forgetting the most important bit:

When you use firedaemon to set up the service, you have to provide -service as an argument (in the spot where you would type -forcesse or -advmethods or whatever) If you don't do -service, then everytime a user is switched, folding will be running, but the core will be stopped. I had this problem for a year at one of my clients and adding the -service flag fixed everything. If you add -service, it will fold 24/7 no matter who is logged in and no matter how many users are switched.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2004
    Its on the overlockers guide Brian. They say to add the -service tag.
    edited July 2004
    It's been running for a week or two now but I've noticed it only runs on one account. I've checked the settings and I have got -service added but when my older Son is logged on there is no icon in the tray and it's not in task manager.
    I installed it through firedaemon.
    What's next guys?
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited July 2004
    You could always just log onto an account on computer boot and start it, then use the fast switch thing and go to the account screen or another account, then it will be hidden, but running. This ofcourse, only holds true on windows XP.
    edited July 2004
    Yeah but what I need is for folding to just start whoever logs on. Any of the kids can log on with their own account and it gets switched throughout the day.
  • BuiesCreek847BuiesCreek847 In a van, down by the river, NC Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    See this thread down below: http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16778

. . . . :Rocker:
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited July 2004
    hey, who changed my avatar??? ---nevermind
    edited July 2004
    OK, I've done it with fire daemon and it runs on ONE account. I've done it as a scheduled service as shwaip said and it runs on ONE account. There is no icon in the system tray and it doesn't show in task manager in any other account. What am I doing wrong guys?
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited July 2004
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    bothered: it seems like you're running the graphical client. Run the console version when you set it up as a service. I don't think the GUI can use the -service switch.
    edited July 2004
    Cheers t1rhino, that's the third method. I'll uninstall it and follow that guide.