Thermaltake XP-120 Heatsink

MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
Thermalright has come back with a vengeance. Their latest heatsink, the XP-120, is truly unique.

Read it here

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    thermaltake or thermalright...im so confused ;D

nice article and get some sleep mm :thumbsup:
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited August 2004
    Actually...It's Geeky1's article. And be damned if I can find that monster for sale anywhere...it's HUGE! Geeky1 must have the prototype "snap off your socket" version.

:thumbsup:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    410C? 1-20C?

Methinks you need to fix your degree marks, guys.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited August 2004
    Title revised to THERMALRIGHT...waiting for site to catch up and update itself.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2004
    So I send keebs and mediaman this review. I give the correct heatsink manufacturer-Thermalright-repeatedly, AND I have working degree symbols. Leave these two yutzes with it for a couple of days and they break my degree symbols and decide to announce a new heatsink called the Thermaltake XP-120. And this is S-M's editorial "dream team"? :rolleyes::D

Seriously though, mistakes happen, mediaman and keebs are both busy, and I can't fault them for it. I've gotten Thermaltake and Thermalright mixed up before myself (but this time it wasn't me!! :D). It's fixed, so no worries. :)
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited August 2004
    I demand that this be fitted to a 6800 or x800 next! =D
    edited August 2004
    I might consider it, but I suspect that it wouldn't work too well. The heatpipes probably wouldn't like being inverted.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Geeky1, that is a great review. Very thorough.... good work :)
  • edited August 2004
    Good review, however, you didn't test one of the most important motherboards. IC7-MAX3. DOH!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Good review, however, you didn't test one of the most important motherboards. IC7-MAX3. DOH!

Thermalright didn't. The compatability listing is direct from them.
    edited August 2004
    No, it's not thrax. I did the testing myself.

Unregistered: If they'd had any on display, I would have. However, I would NOT bet money on it fitting. It doesn't fit on the Max II, and the III is almost the same, but with some ducting over the power circuitry. At least that's what it looks like to me. And in that case, it almost certainly will NOT fit.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2004
    nice review Geeky1! Thermalright is also claiming Athlon 64 compatibility for the XP-120!

The XP-120 is on sale at FrozenCPU and The Heatsink Factory
    edited August 2004
    It's not compatible with the one I got. I only got the P4 clips. :-/
  • edited November 2004
    It does fit on the IC7-G , I have it currently installed in my system. Very slight cap. bending, but it fit nicely.
  • edited February 2005
    "The build quality is excellent, but a $50 heatsink should have a better base. Fits most motherboards, but not all."
    Better base????
    It`s cooper nickel plated...only a pure silver base it`s better than that.
  • edited March 2005
    Awesome heatsink. 2.8ghz prescott oc'ed to 3.6 with this best and a 120mm fan!!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Will it fit an Abit IC7 (non-'G') board? I'd love to have that power, with it's low noise.