Omegakiller

MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
Thousands of users worldwide have become suddenly familiar with unwanted webpages because they had their browsers hijacked. Learn how to protect yourself and download our free custom tool to rid yourself of Omegasearch.com and its variants.

Read it here

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Dexter! What a great article! EXCELLENT WORK!

Mondi - my hero :) I love you guys!
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    Nice article Dex. Awesome program, Mondi.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    :celebrate
  • edited August 2004
    please tell me how to download this program, im not a member but would love to get this thing off my computer
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited August 2004
    please tell me how to download this program, im not a member but would love to get this thing off my computer

Due to some technical difficulties, we have had to temporarily suspend guest access to our file downloads area. We are in the process of upgrading the security of our downloads server due to having been the victim of some attacks on the server by uknown coward(s) who have been trying to cripple our site...unsuccessfully, I might add.

We invite you to register for our forums (it's free, painless and takes only seconds.) Upon registration, you will receive access to the downloads section.

Otherwise, please wait a few days and check again. Our server administration team is upgrading the security protocols, and we hope to have guest access restored soon.

Dexter...
  • SL_SL_
    edited August 2004
    I've registered, but I still can't download it. I click the download button on http://www.short-media.com/download.php?dc=69, and it opens a new window which goes to http://www.short-media.com/getdownload.php?d=294, but it just shows a blank page, and view source doesn't show anything at all either. :(
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    check your private messages.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    There is still a pending issue with downloads that Im working. Bare with me please :)
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited August 2004
    Nice article. I'm gonna give that omegakilller a try even though i don't think i'm infected. BTW am i the only one who thinks that the creators of omega search should be happy about all the advertisment they've gotten for free from shortmedia. :)
    edited August 2004
    I somehow don't think they like the Short-Media type of publicity that provides a tool to rid your machine of their potential spyware ;)
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited August 2004
    So true :)
  • edited August 2004
    Dexter wrote:
    Due to some technical difficulties, we have had to temporarily suspend guest access to our file downloads area. We are in the process of upgrading the security of our downloads server due to having been the victim of some attacks on the server by uknown coward(s) who have been trying to cripple our site...unsuccessfully, I might add.

We invite you to register for our forums (it's free, painless and takes only seconds.) Upon registration, you will receive access to the downloads section.

Otherwise, please wait a few days and check again. Our server administration team is upgrading the security protocols, and we hope to have guest access restored soon.

Dexter...

Hi!
    I have tried to download and it says it is a zipped file and it can't open it. What do I do? I have searchweb2.com in my internet options that keeps reappearing. I just spent $30 for a computer tech to do absolutely nothing except remove the toolbar. They told me the only way to remove it is to reinstall windows. I am pretty much computer illiterate, so please type slowly. LOL
    Thanks!
    edited August 2004
    sami66 wrote:
    Hi!
    I have tried to download and it says it is a zipped file and it can't open it. What do I do? I have searchweb2.com in my internet options that keeps reappearing. I just spent $30 for a computer tech to do absolutely nothing except remove the toolbar. They told me the only way to remove it is to reinstall windows. I am pretty much computer illiterate, so please type slowly. LOL
    Thanks!

1 - A ZIP file is an archive file that allows us to compress the size of the file to make it smaller, and to put multiple files into one archive. This is a VERY commonly used application. To un-Zip something, you need to download Winzip. It's free. Install it, then double click the OmegakillerSM ZIP file. Winzip will open with a dialog box asking you if you want to buy it, use the evaluation version, or exit. Click the Evaluation button. Then you will see the Omegakiller app and a Readme.txt file. Make a new folder on your C: drive called Omegakiller, and drag those 2 files from the Zip window to your Omegakiller folder. Then you can close the zip file, launch OmegakillerSM and let it do it's job. Download Winzip here:

http://www.download.com/WinZip/3000-2250-10265341.html

2 - You need to go back to your computer tech, tell him/her that he/she is incompetent, and ask for your money back. Some simple Google searching would have pointed them to the answer. While there, give them the address of our website, maybe they can learn a thing or two from us :)

3 - When you get your money back, take it to your bank, get a registered
    money order for the same amount, and send it to my attention, care of Short-Media. ;);D

4 - If you need further help, please send me a private message by clicking on my user name (up by my kitty-cat picture.)

Dexter...
    edited August 2004
    Sami,

Click on this thread here:

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14915

It will guide you with how we can help you :)

Edit:: Dexter beat me to it again.. damn spyware geek :p;D

:thumbsup:
    edited August 2004
    Sami, we charge $50 for the same service at my company, but we actually do it right.. :) However, at short-media we help you do it yourself, for free. I agree with dexter. Point your "tech" to this site and demand your money back, for obviously he doesn't quite have all the skills to call himself a tech. "Reinstall windows" is a very bad answer to give somebody.
    edited August 2004
    Sami, we charge $50 for the same service at my company, but we actually do it right.. :) However, at short-media we help you do it yourself, for free. I agree with dexter. Point your "tech" to this site and demand your money back, for obviously he doesn't quite have all the skills to call himself a tech. "Reinstall windows" is a very bad answer to give somebody.
    But that's Geeky1's response to every problem :wtf:;D

No wait. This is Geeky we are talking about ;D
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited August 2004
    Omegakiller article updated and the $50 comes to the admins. I can drive over to Dexter's house and beat him up for it...that's providing he hasn't spent it on diapers yet. ;D
  • edited August 2004
    Hello all,

My browser is hijacked by MySearchNow. I have followed the forum instructions and downloaded OmegaKiller at http://www.short-media.com/download.php?dc=69

I have unzipped the files to a new folder. But when I try to execute OmegaKiller.exe on Windows2000, an error message "The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameA could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL." is displayed.

Please shed some lights here to resolve the problem. Thank you.
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    sorry to take so long to answer this... it turns out theres 2 major versions of the psapi dll floating around ... you have the old one :(

Ive included the new one in the OmegaKillerSM download, please redownload and you should be good..

m
  • edited August 2004
    Now I could install and run it. Thanks man...
  • edited September 2004
    Hello,

My browser is hijacked by MySearchNow. I have followed the forum instructions and downloaded OmegaKiller as well.
    I have unzipped the files but when I try to execute OmegaKiller.exe on Windows Me, an error message "The PSAPI.DLL file is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL:wcslen" is displayed.
    Please give me some advise to resolve the problem. Thank you.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Unregistered, are you running Windows Me, 98 or 95. Omegakiller only works with Windows 2000 + Windows XP. A version for the other OS is on its way its just taking longer to sort out.
    edited September 2004
    Hello,

My browser is hijacked by MySearchNow. I have followed the forum instructions and downloaded OmegaKiller as well.
    I have unzipped the files but when I try to execute OmegaKiller.exe on Windows Me, an error message "The PSAPI.DLL file is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL:wcslen" is displayed.

And if you are running Win 2000 or Xp and get this error, note that there is a PSAPI.dll file in the Zip archive. Move both the OmegakillerSM.exe and the PSAPI.dll file into a folder called OmegakillerSM, and then run the program. It will find the PSAPI.dll file, and work fine.

Dexter...
  • edited September 2004
    Originally posted by Unregistered

Hello,

And if you are running Win 2000 or Xp and get this error, note that there is a PSAPI.dll file in the Zip archive. Move both the OmegakillerSM.exe and the PSAPI.dll file into a folder called OmegakillerSM, and then run the program. It will find the PSAPI.dll file, and work fine.

Dexter...

Hi,
    I did all of that right away, however, i still get the same error message. Is there any other way to get this program running?
    Thanks again.
    edited September 2004
    What version of windows do you have?
  • edited September 2004
    Windows Milenium.
    edited September 2004
    Sorry, OmegaKiller just won't work with Windows ME. What you should do is register to our forums, visit our Spyware, Virus, and Trojan discussion area, read these first steps and then post a log for review, and we will be able to get rid of this thing for you.
  • edited September 2004
    Thank you.
  • edited September 2004
    OMEGAKILLER has sorted out my HiJack... and I've now enabled SpyBot's TeaTimer function so that I can spot those registry key hacks whenever they are attempted.

Thanks SVT.
    edited September 2004
    OMEGAKILLER has sorted out my HiJack... and I've now enabled SpyBot's TeaTimer function so that I can spot those registry key hacks whenever they are attempted.

Thanks SVT.
    Good, glad we could help :)
This discussion has been closed.