Hello. Welcome to Short-Media. In order to expedite the removal of spyware located on your system, we request that you do the following:
Please update and run Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06 and Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4
If you don't have either, they can be found in the Downloads Section
When you post your thread, please let us know that you have followed these instructions and ran these programs on your computer. If you don't tell us that you did this, our first reply will probably be "did you run Ad Aware and Spybot first?" So please don't waste your time or ours, run these programs first and then LET US KNOW THAT YOU DID!
*** PLEASE DO NOT POST LOGS FROM AD AWARE OR SPYBOT UNLESS YOU ARE REQUESTED TO DO SO! THEY ARE TOO LOOOOOONG. STICK TO LOGS FROM HIJACK THIS.***
Instructions for updating Ad-Aware SE Personal:
1) After starting Ad Aware, Click "Check for updates now"
2) Next, the following dialog will appear. Click "Connect" to search for any available updates
3) If there are any updates available, you will be prompted to download them. Click OK.
4) After the updates finish downloading, a dialog similar to this will appear. Click Finish
Instructions for Spybot S&D 1.4
1) After starting Spybot S&D, click the "Search for Updates" button
2) A dialog will appear, informing you if there are any new updates. If this does not occur, click Search for updates. If Spybot locates any updates, they will be shown in the green shaded area. Ensure all boxes are checked. Press Download Updates to update SpyBot
3) After updating SpyBot, click Search and Destroy on the menu towards the left. Then click the "Check for problems" button
If Spybot tells you that you have DSO Exploits, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THEM!
These are not "bad files" on your computer, they are just warnings that you have a security flaw that *could* be exploited. However, this is a bit of a glitch in Spybot. As long you do regular Windows updates, these problems will have been patched. If you do not have Automatic Updates turned on on your computer, then visit www.windowsupdate.com
or, in Internet Explorer, click Tools -> Windows Update. Download all critical updates. Then you can safely ignore the DSO exploit warnings. They will still show up in Spybot, but they are safely patched, and Spybot just does not know how to read that.
You can also set Spybot to ignore this item. In Spybot, click MODE -> Advanced Mode. Locate the Settings button in the lower left hand corner, and click it to open it. In the right hand window, find the button that says Ignore Products. Click that, then when that opens the ignore menu, click the Tab that says Security. You will see DSO Exploit listed. Put a checkmark beside it to ignore the DSO's. Then click on the right hand button Spybot- S&D to return to the main menu.
If you need assistance with any of these steps, feel free to ask, and someone will help at the earliest convenience.
Following these simple guidelines will allow you to receive help faster, as well as make it easier for us to help you.
-The Short-Media SVT SWAT Team
MAKE SURE TO READ THE NEXT POST ON HOW TO USE HIJACK THIS BEFORE POSTING A LOG IN OUR FORUMS!