A 64-bit app in the real world

MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
edited February 2005 in Science & Tech
Many hope but some are still waiting for a definitive answer to the 64-bit question. Is it for us and is it better? Here is a real world application...giving real world results.

Read it here

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    At last... a 64-Bit application !

Nice article mate :thumbsup:
  • edited August 2004
    Simple software answer to this problem:

Use a smart format like a tiled jpeg2000 or tiff format that allows image tiling and multiresolution storage. Who really needs to load a whole 10kx10k image in ram when your display device can only do 2kx2kmax!

Of course I'm all for 64bit, I'm sure ultra resolution display devices themselves will start to become more commoditized and force it, amongst lots and lots of other things. 64bit allows programmers to be lazy and code brute force like they like to do.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Stop it, John. ;D
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    75% of my graduates do composite imagery of large scale land photos taken via satellite at the highest resolutions available. Each map contains various numbers of photos but the numbers are usually very large. This is a very time consuming process but a 64 bit app would help tremendously!
    The output plot must be as accurate as possible and able to be measured ...and postscript plotting is out of the question.

John ...is that you John? ;D
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited August 2004
    Actually...if you want to get sticky about it. It's 40-bit registers.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    csimon wrote:
    75% of my graduates do composite imagery of large scale land photos taken via satellite at the highest resolutions available. Each map contains various numbers of photos but the numbers are usually very large. This is a very time consuming process but a 64 bit app would help tremendously!
    The output plot must be as accurate as possible and able to be measured ...and postscript plotting is out of the question.

64-bit would definitely come in handy for that kind of application. Unfortunately, ESRI hasn't made public any kind of plans for making use of 64-bit, not even for Itanium. Maybe one of their competitors will steal some market share away and they'll get on the ball :D.

Remotely sensed imagery, once uncompressed, is a huge RAM hog. I once tried to load up all the orthophotos for the state of Maine. Big mistake. There went the 1 GB of system RAM and a few more gigs of virtual memory. It didn't crash the program when I used up past what the processor could address, but it only showed the first 2gb or so of images. :(
  • edited August 2004
    What about Apple 64bit OS and Photoshops add in that allows for 64bit?
  • edited August 2004
    apple, what?
    edited August 2004
    Athlon 64 vs. Apple G5 Systems: Not Even Close

Source: PC World.

Sorry Mac. Yes, my staff use MACS becasue it is the graphic artist's preference...but not necessarily the fastest.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    So 5 months later, I finally try out the program. I was sold after about five minutes of the trial. It works great. Incredibly easy to use. I've been taking photos on hikes in NM and CO, and a single picture just can't do justice to the views out here.

Thanks for letting me know about the program, MediaMan! :thumbsup:
    edited February 2005
    Yer welcome! :D