PSU Suggestions?

MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
edited October 2004 in Hardware
right now i have an antec 350W which has treated me well, up until i purchased the mighty 6800

i plugged the 6800 in and tried to power up, and it wasnt up to the task.
(in addition, the card was DOA, but thats a different story...)

im looking for a psu in the 450-550 range, just to be safe.
i have two hard drives, one optical, 4 120mm fans.

im sick of ordering online, but i always come crawling back to it when i see the local retail store prices :eek:

i went to compusa, and they have 'compusa brand' 550W psus for only $80, but it seems a little sketchy.

what should i do? be a cheapskate and get the cheapy psu, or learn so-called 'patience' and order online (if so, any good psus you would recommend??)

Comments

• edited October 2004
    CompUSA and Best Buy both sell Antec PSUs around here. So you can still go that route if you want (and I think you should).
  • MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited October 2004
    oh yeah...i always forget something when posting :rolleyes: ...geez

they do sell antecs, which i saw there, but the 480W was $120 (without tax mind you) and when comparing that to the online price of a 550W (around 100 bucks), i didnt want to buy it
  • edited October 2004
    I love my Antec TrueControl 550, which you fine tune your rails to the exact voltages. It cost me around $115-120 if I remember right, when I bought it almost a year ago. I just looked at Newegg and they have it for around $110 shipped now.
    edited October 2004
    well...it looks like im gonna be ordering.
    i just cant resist that glossy shine of that ultra x-connect... :wow:
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    uggh. Too bling-blingy.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    I'll take the bling bling and less cables over a mass of cables pouring out!!

I've seen nothing but good reviews about that PSU.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    I have three criteria:
    1. The combined 3.3V+5V rating must be over 200W (225 is nice)
    2. Two fans
    3. It needs to be heavy. Weight=iron, iron=voltage stability

I am using a mixed bag of PSUs now. I have never lost one. Of course all of my boxes are on UPSs also so they are protected.

If you are really looking to OC I would get the true power. Actually getting hte correct voltages is nice.
  • edited October 2004
    well...it looks like im gonna be ordering.
    i just cant resist that glossy shine of that ultra x-connect... :wow:

make sure you plug the cables in the right way though.

for instance the cables will fit into your hard drive, mobo whatever either way, but if one of your hard drives or cd drives, what ever isn't powering up, just reverse the cable.

it's definitely a great psu.

and worth the $100.

that's also the best price you'll find on it.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-968&depa=0

Best psu i have ever tried. My Antec 400 died a year ago, so i had to get a new one and stumbled across this one. This is currently the most bought PSU among overclockers and i still haven't seen anyone complain about it.
    This thing doesn't even get mildly warm and it's still almost dead quiet.
    I measured the lines directly when i plugged it in for 24 hours. I ran full load with all the lines and the most variation i had was the 3.3 line. Idle, it was 3.35 and at full load 3.32. It has sata contacts if you like as well. 2 fans, one on each "short end" of the psu and not on the underside of the psu which is most common. Let me know if you need more information.
    edited October 2004
    thanks for all the input, it looks like ill be ordering once again.
    ill probably get that x-connect psu, i like not having a mess of wires to deal with.
  • jaxvonjaxvon University of Michigan Ann Arbor
    edited October 2004
    Well, if you wanna really, REALLY get a good PSU, go ahead and splurge and buy a PC Power and Cooling 510 Deluxe. It's simply the king of PSUs.

www.pcpowerandcooling.com

I'd also recommend OCZ because like PC Power and CoolerMaster and unlike other brands like Antec, Enermax, and Fortron, they rate their PSU by its sustainable output, not maximum. Thus, their 420w PSU would qualify as an Antec 510w. Plus, it has bling and and adjustable voltages. Still, with your powerhog of a V-Card, I'd go for the larger ones.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=58&manufactory=1550&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

Still, if you want the best, go PC Power. They rate their PSUs for sustained output at 50c, not 25c like other manufacturers.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited October 2004
    Yep I agree with the Pc Power... However they are extreamly expensive. I did buy one but I did struggle with choking off the 250 for it... :|

"g"
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited October 2004
    You know, it all depends on what you're building. I put a PC Power and cooling in the rig in my sig, but my single processor machines all get Antecs. Naver had a power related problem. Building for other people, though, is a different story. I suggest the Antecs, but put in whatever the budget will allow.

Flint :cool:
    edited October 2004
    gtghm wrote:
    I did buy one but I did struggle with choking off the 250 for it... :|

:eek: .....

my wallet aches just thinking about that