• gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2004
    http://www.knoxradio.com/ :)

havent had cable in the last 4 years

and yes the snow storms and misquto storms are a pain

and i work outside on the aircraft too
    :bawling:
  • edited October 2004
    just started folding (i think). well, looks like it's doing something. my WU says it'll end 52 days from now, so i'll be pretty tired by then (i have this stupid habit of watching computers crunch numbers as if i'm afraid they will stop if i don't monitor them).

my name is Rick. been in the computer industry since the days we used teletypes and paper tape readers for consoles. (i can hear all the "what is he talking about?s" out there).

anyway, thanks to this wonderful site i was able to slay that HSA nasty on my own and gain a wealth of knowledge while doing it. made an old 'fossil' like me feel good.

hope my little 450mhz PIII helps some ;)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Every little bit helps, that's what makes this team great :) Welcome aboard! :thumbsup:
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited October 2004
    Welcome icehole. Always nice to see members introduce themselves. Bit of an "oldie" myself at this end, name is Jon from Perth in Western Australia.

In regards to doing a WU in 52 days, i have seen posts in the folding section where it's mentioned about timeless WU's for older/slower computers. If in doubt about anything, just post a new thread in the same section where you placed your introduction. Unfortunately i don't know too much about the setting up of the folding, that is my wife's job (the Handbrake).

Make a note of the P**** number of your protien and check the time Stanford would like it done by, by going here.

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/psummary.html

Thanks for joining in the "Fight". :thumbsup:

Jon
  • Access_DeniedAccess_Denied tennessee
    edited October 2004
    Name: Richard Wright
    Location: Rogersville Tennessee... (has 2 redlights in the whole town)
    Occupation: well im unemployed at the moment because i missed a few days of work at walmart so they figured they'd fire me on the spot so i lost my car in the process... did i menchen i was in the hospitle with my dad having open heart surgury at the time? i hate walmart :mean:
    well my hobbies are finding people on msn messenger with there cell # and textin them about 500 times each MUAHAHAHAH and street racing (yea i know but i do it the safer way, only short distance) playing magic the gathering on the weekends,and spending as much time with my girlfriend as possable
    well that about covers all the interesting parts of me.. if anybody who has a cellphone wants to add me to msn messenger your more than welcome :thumbsup: lol

ohh and i forgot to menchion i got a ferret named slinky and a chahuahua named cookie.. i takem bout everwhere i go
  • humanoidhumanoid .si
    edited October 2004
    I'm Marko (20 years old) from Slovenia a little country in Central Europe (near Italy).
    I study computer science at the university of Ljubljana.

My hobbies are computers, listening to music (rock and stuff like this), watching movies...
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited October 2004
    gibbonsl wrote:
    and i work outside on the aircraft too
    :bawling:

I feel your pain, dude. Been there, done that at Plattsburgh AFB in Plattsburgh NY, (AFSC 46250). No fun in the winter time.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2004
    mine is AFSC 2A675
    edited October 2004
    Welcome, humanoid! I think you might be the first slovenian member of our site :)
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited October 2004
    Serious question: Is this thread just for those who Fold?

Cos charlie don't surf, and flops don't fold.

(but I have been UD crunching for over 3 years, 4 machines atm)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2004
    I guess it can be open to anyone at the site.

I crunched UD for awhile and then switch to FAH. It would be for over 3 years if I had stuck with UD.
    edited October 2004
    I also did UD before switching to F@H.

This thread is for anyone, I guess :)
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited October 2004
    What's UD?
    edited October 2004
    www.ud.com

United Devices - it's like folding, except for profit. You download the UD client and do cancer research, but you can opt to also do other DC projects for commercial entities.
  • edited October 2004
    I did UD also before the profit part.

KF
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2004
    Wha...MONIES??? Screw you guys!!

j/k ;D;D
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited October 2004
    The parts of UD you can do where they make a profit are optional. I only crunch for finding a cure for cancer, nothing else. So, to my mind, the profit making argument is mute.

I wish I hadn't mentioned it now, feel a bit like an arab at a bar mitzvah... ;)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Thought I would rewrite my entry, as a fair bit has changed.

My name is Rob, I'm 18, and I've been a member of Icrontic/Short-Media for just about three years. I signed up in december of 2001 to post a smidge of help for someone who was having trouble with their video card: They had a Visiontek geforce card, and apparently a ton of them had been released without the plastic adhesive strip removed from the bottom of the GPU HSF. I suggested he check that. But I wasn't an active member until the summer of 2002. I was around for about a year, then Icrontic got hacked in the summer of '03. Then a year later, here we are, in the fall of '04.

Born just outside of Detroit in Royal Oak. I currently attend Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti, MI for a bachelor's in Computer Engineering Technology. I don't work at the moment, sadly, but I usually tackle five or six places a week in hopes I can land one. My primary hobby is the computer, and I've been quite into it for four years thus far. My other interests include other geeky things like Star Wars (I roleplay; currently coauthoring a novel which I hope to have published), Star Wars D20 RPG, D&D, crappy old cult films, I was a Tolkien fan before it was trendy to be one, I'm a writer of sorts, I dabble heavily in media transcoding/encoding (SECAM/PAL/NTSC conversions, DiVX/XViD/MPEG2/etc. conversions). In more scholarly interests, I prefer philosophy, public speaking, debate, politics and history.

I generally avoid pop culture; I've not listened to the radio in five years. I don't generally watch TV even when I'm near one. My best friends are John, Jason, Sean and Alison. I'm only as social as my options. I do not drink, do not do drugs, do not party, and do not go to the clubs. I will never drink, do drugs, or go clubbing.. I might party if the environment is right.

I'm generally a conservative except when it comes to gender/sexual issues, otherwise I adopt a fairly liberal stance. After reading a lot of what Prime has said, and silently reading his Buddhism forum, I've begun to thoroughly explore that path. I don't want to say "I'm Buddhist!" because that sounds, I dunno, stupid coming from me. I don't know when I'll ever be able to say that I am, but I truly believe that all the good in the world will not come from a god, but by man bettering themselves, and transforming their worldly desires into motivation for Virtue and Goodness. A lot of what the belief structure says resonates in me, and it's motivated me to become a better person.

My main musical interests include trance (Please, I beg of you not to think club music or remixes; this is not trance), industrial (KMFDM, Melotron, Covenant), 80s pop (Duran Duran, Styx, Aha), 80s/90s hair bands (Van Halen, Pantera, Dokken, Motley Crue), classic rock (Jeff Beck, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Mountain, Deep Purple, King Crimson) and movie scores (FoTR trilogy, Gladiator, Passion of the Christ; epic, non-vocal, orchestral arrangements).

Ex-EverQuest player. Generally I enjoy first person shooters, fighting games, and RTS games. I like hanging out with my friends every night, I like college. I wish I had a talent outside of computers, but I don't that I've found. If I'm not on Short-Media, I'm pounding out articles, browsing the internet, or listening to music and hanging out with people.

If I were to tell you what other people have said directly to me...

Warm
    Compassionate
    Logical
    Prophet-like
    Brilliant
    Good-natured
    Well-humoured
    Tolerant
    Accepting
    Sarcastic
    Freaky and soulless, like a robot

You guys may look at that list and say "WTF?!" but I **** you guys not. People have said this to me. Brian said something to me once over the summer that I took to heart: "I hate Thrax, but I like Rob." And I realized that there was something of a strong difference between what I came across as online, and who I really was online. That sucked. So I've been trying to rebuild some burned bridges, and tone myself down. I've begun to analyze what's different between Rob and Thrax, and why they're different. I hope you guys have begun to see the results. I don't want to be the old Thrax. I just want to be me.

That's pretty much it. Later guys.
  • humanoidhumanoid .si
    edited October 2004
    Welcome, humanoid! I think you might be the first slovenian member of our site :)

Interesting :)

But i am not in any team, I'm just trying to help with F@H.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    who am I?? well....I'm MrTRiot!!! I'm 16, I live in Canada...I love playing guitar and pretty much all aspects of music and mixing music....and...I have a website!! :O, just a personal one..nothing really fancy (www.corruptiontocries.cjb.net) but go check it out if ya want to......if ya want to know anything more about me, just ask.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited October 2004
    Nice entry Thrax. I think I prefer Rob as well. :)
  • Cygnus_x_1Cygnus_x_1 New Jersey
    edited October 2004
    Name's Dan, been folding on and off for about 2 yrs. Used to be the Marketing/PR director for OCAddiction until Sept 03 when i was supposed to go to write for Adrenaline Vault, but decided i was burnt out on the hectic schedule of full time work/full time site dedication. So i took a year off completely from harcore computers, and downgraded my pelt cooled monster first back to water then back to air.
    I'm 34, married for 10 yrs w/ 4 kids (twin 18 yr old stepsons, 5 yr old son, 2 yr old son). enjoy spending time w/ my kids (full time stay at home dad right now, but looking to get back into the workforce full time), as well as restoring/working on cars. Used to be a die hard domestic muscle car guy, but the last 1 1/2 years have been addicted to 240SX's and drifting. currently on my third 240 and have been lucky enough to build the previous two and sell for a very nice profit...this one is prolly in the worst shape of them all mechanically, but the body is good and im happy..i hate body work..

anyway, unfortunately the passing of Mortin is what brought me here, but i have been looking to get back in to the pc thing and so far S-M seems to be a pretty cool place so i joined the F@H team, and expect to hang around and annoy the shiz out of you all...

muhahahahahahahaha
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Please do stick around. Only time will tell if you are any more annoying than a good many of us! :wtf:
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited October 2004
    Leo annoying?? Never!!.........Leo's just a pussycat. ;D;D

Welcome Dan. :)
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited October 2004
    Hi Guys!

Firstly, I just want to apologize to anyone if they think that I’ve been annoying coz' I know that I may have been.

I've been wanting to post in this thread for a while but honestly I’ve been too nervous/scared but for some reason I feel that I should introduce myself better, if I may?

Today is my 3 months anniversary to SM :)

Now Me!
    My name is Saqib - Hope you guys can Pronounce it!?
    I'm 17 years old!

I'm currently at college (my 2nd year) and doing a business course. My life is pretty simple, as simple as this, I wake up etc, go college (when necessary), come home, sit @ computer (hang at SM), Eat & sleep - pretty simply :p but I’m not lazy and I do work hard :D

I like football aka soccer to most of you and tennis. I support Manchester United but i'm sure you guys already guessed that :). The biggest club in the world, Honestly :D

How I found SM
    It was really to do with Broswer Hijacking. I had Searchweb200 (or something) and through Yahoo! I ended up here ay great SM where Dexter helped me for the very first time so THANK YOU :). Since then I've been coming everyday and have met and been helped by a lot of great people so THANK YOU ALL :).

Lastly, i'm trying to join Team93 but a bit :confused: but i'm getting there I hope.

Anyways, sorry for the long post and i'm glad to be here with nice people
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    welcome :thumbsup:
  • BIGGIBIGGI Fort Meade, MD
    edited November 2004
    Name : John
    Birthday : 11-16-81
    Marital Status : almost married :P
    Interests : computers, PC Games, sports

Will be getting my MCSE in the spring and hopefully cisco some day.
    edited November 2004
    Welcome to the team, Biggi! :D
  • XephonXephon South River NJ
    edited November 2004
    My name is Paul Framhein, I work for Best Buy store 598 in East Brunswick NJ, and I am currently an IT student at Rutgers University. I have several computers most of which are constantly under modification.....my newest is an athlon 64 3200+ box that I love to death (gotta find time to put on a new heatsink i got) I like to mod stuff, but due to my job, and fulltime school, I don't get much chance. I came across this place wandering the internet for good ideas to mod my case with, and I figured that since my box is on 24/7, I may as well put the time I'm not using it to good use. Now I gotta run, darn, late to class again!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Welcome, Paul.