Keith "Mortin" Whitsitt

Comments

• test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
    edited October 2004
    i never really knew the guy, but to all that did, i offer my condolences.
  • TrinityTrinity UK
    edited October 2004
    I never spoke to Keith or got to know him as much as most of you all did.
    Without Keith & Icrontic half of us wouldnt be the "friends" we are now.
    My hearfelt condolences to his friends and family...tis a sad day for all:(

Natasha xxx
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited October 2004
    I don't think I ever spoke to Keith personally, but i've been around here since I found out about the apu's hardware from playing on their CS server and have "lurked" around icrontic and s-m since. My heart goes out to him and his family in these terrible days.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    My condolences to Keith's family and loved ones.

His articles was the reason why I visited Irontic in the first place, Hacking the Xbox/GC/PS2. Those were awesome articles.... and who could forget the CS situation....

I still have the envelope that Keith's mom (or sister??) sent out with an Icrontic "Spudz" case badge. I have that case badge on my case today too...

Thank you Mortin, for all the knowledge and information I've gained from the communities you've created from ApuH -> Icrontic, and hoping that you can finally find peace.
  • FAH_WWFAH_WW Training in Indianapolis, IN
    edited October 2004
    My condolences too - I can't say I knew any of the IC guys well, but via Shorty I've got to know a few of the guys here and also at the reborn IC site.

It feels wrong to say something too personal without knowing the guy involved, so I'll just say may he rest in peace, and remember him for the good stuff
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Keith! God rest your soul. Keith and I never did meet personally, but I felt like I knew him at least peripherally. I remember the day I received the Icrontic case badge from him. It was an honor to receive it from the founder of Icrontic, a web site that attracted people from around the world for it's rich technical guidance on via chipsets and early AMD K7 processors. And that site was created by a 14-year-old with fire inside him.

I did not know that Keith was bipolar. That is a vicious brain condition that exacts a heavy toll from its victims.

This is sad day. Good things to remember though: Keith, thank you for showing me how satisfying do-it-yourself computer building and troubleshooting is. You've helped many people. I have rich memories of the early Icrontic and the great community it was.

Lyndon
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    :-(

I never knew him...but it's always sad to see someone who contributed so much to go away like this...

Rest In Peace Keith...
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    God be with him and his family, I remember Joing Apus Hardware and watching the site grow Mort and I conversed over IM many times and he was always willing to help. God rest His soul and Long Live Ghetto Hardware!
  • celchocelcho Tallahassee, FL Member
    edited October 2004
    they're going to pull the plug in the morning. his dad is on the way from texas to see him. he is an organ donor, and i imagine they'll be able to save some lives with the organs they harvest from him, so at least someone will benefit from the tragedy.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    I just have no idea what to say, except that Keith was the reason I got into all this in the beginning. The site he created was also the first forum site that I visited, registered at, and got involved with. That involvement led to this, which is now a large part of my life and is a big reason that my life is richer for having so many new friends all over the globe. The people here have changed my life and have been members of my family. My kids call some of you "uncle".. All this is directly because of Mortin. Interconnectedness works in wonderful and beautiful ways, and all I can say as testimony to his tragically short life is that all these good things came out of it. So let these friendships and relationships serve as Keith's wonderful eulogy.

Thank you, Keith.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited October 2004
    Wow. I never knew him either, seeing as I joined this site quite awhile after it was founded, and had never heard of Icrontic until coming here (wasn't really into computers before this).

But it's amazing how things like this work. Without him, we wouldn't be here. When stuff like this happens, stuff that worked out in such a precise way, and then the original link is broken ... it really makes you step back for a bit and think.

While I didn't know him personally, I'm grateful for all that he did. Thank you and God bless, Keith.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    All of the above. Icrontic was the first forum site I registered to, and I remember fondly the Ghetto Hardware stuff, one video in particular when they kicked the crap out of a computer in the back yard.

I never got to speak to him but I'm shocked and saddened at the news.

I remember he had some nice words to say about this site and it's folding team last year.

All the best to you, your family and friends Mortin.

~Ian
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    I just have no idea what to say, except that Keith was the reason I got into all this in the beginning. The site he created was also the first forum site that I visited, registered at, and got involved with. That involvement led to this, which is now a large part of my life and is a big reason that my life is richer for having so many new friends all over the globe. The people here have changed my life and have been members of my family. My kids call some of you "uncle".. All this is directly because of Mortin. Interconnectedness works in wonderful and beautiful ways, and all I can say as testimony to his tragically short life is that all these good things came out of it. So let these friendships and relationships serve as Keith's wonderful eulogy.

Thank you, Keith.
    I can't say it better.

Thank you, Keith.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited October 2004
    RIP Mortin :(
  • edited October 2004
    I remember Mortin from the old Icrontic and felt quite an impact after reading the news this morning over on the Icrontic forums.

If I could feel that after speaking to the guy over the internet a few times I can only begin to imagine the pain felt by close friends and family.
    Keith Whitsitt started Icrontic.com in his high school days and the PC Tech website soon became world-renowned because of Keith's antics with his "Ghetto Hardware" articles.

I couldnt help but chuckle at that one, the humor and actual results of those articles were always top notch!
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Many of you might recognize me. I was around from the start of Apu's hardware through Icrontic up to the point where I went to BBF. After a while I came back to icrontic, never posted, but I browsed the forums from time to time to see what was up.

Well, I went to high school with Keith, graduated next to him (we were near to each other on the class roster) in 2002. I had my differences with him from time to time during high school, but after we all went our seperate ways, he became someone I could talk to when I was down. He was my friend.

We were planning on meeting up next week since I had to head back to my parents house for some stuff, I figured I would stop the for night in Gainesville. We had planned on getting massively trashed, just like that time we got drunk in high school during spring break. I remember him having to crawl up the stairs at my parents house because he was so damn drunk.

Nor can I forgot the times with Apu's/Icrontic. The ghetto hardware articles that I partook in, especially the one where we burned the gameboy, I was walking around with no shoes on next to the fire and he dumped a huge load of gas onto it. Good times. Or destroying my old Dell Pentium 90 in Webloki's backyard then finishing it off for another ghetto hardware article. Those are some of my best memories from high school and I wish I had gotten to hang out with him more than just once or twice a year since then.

R.I.P. Mortin, you are in a better place now.
  • edited October 2004
    I've known Keith since 5th grade, we met by getting in a figth with eachother and from then on we were best friends. I sitll can't believe what has happened to him.

R.I.P. Mortin, "only the good die young"
    edited October 2004
    i've actually still got that video of us tossing the case around and then shooting fireworks at it to the tune of kung fu fighting. maybe i could get someone here to post it. it's 11 megs, so it's above the max size for an attachment.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Celcho ... PM me.. Il host it :)
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    I just talked to his on/off girlfriend and the memorial service is going to be held on Wednesday, they are hoping. They won't know until tomorrow. If any of you have pictures of you and keith together (I don't know how many of you have actually met him) please PM me. They are trying to get a scrapbook made.
    edited October 2004
    I'd like to formally announce my intention to get a collection together to help the family of Keith at this time. I would like to raise as much money as possible to help his family with the funeral costs or whatever else they choose to use it for. As numerous people have stated, none of us would be here right now discussing this if it weren't for him. The least we can do for his family is to know that Keith had a much larger "family" than they might be aware of, and that we are all here for his parents, friends, and relatives at this time of need.

If you wish to donate via paypal, you can use accounts@short-media.com

If you wish to send a check or MO, you can make it out to:

ShortMedia LLC
    c/o "The Mortin Fund"
    1401 W Girard Avenue
    Madison Heights, MI 48071-4451
    edited October 2004
    http://www.dnpdynamic.com/shorty/icrontic512.wmv

shorty has very kindly hosted that video mortin and I made back in high school. it was the last big thing we really did for icrontic as far as i can recall.

i hope you guys enjoy it. it was fun making it, and i get a chuckle out of watching it still.

his parents were divorced, and he had no siblings. he lived with his mom his whole life, so she's not going to take this very well at all.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    I'm shocked. My condolences to Keith's family and friends.
    edited October 2004
    What a great video, Celcho. Thanks for that! ;D
    edited October 2004
    That was a great video. Thanks Celcho.
    edited October 2004
    keith obviously had a lot of fun making that one.
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited October 2004
    I have brought 15 or 20 computers into this world that wouldn't exist without the communities Keith created and the people whom I now call my friends.

May your next journey be easier than your last, Keith. Thanks for letting us all in.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    That was a great video! Exactly how I'm going to remember him :thumbsup:
    edited October 2004
    The music just fit so well... not just the video it seemed, but the whole situation for some reason... it was weird...
  • fuxorfuxor i live in a giant bucket
    edited October 2004
    hi all,

most of you might not recognize me, I used to be a moderator on the old icrontic and then here for a while after the move. Icrontic was the first forum i ever bothered reading let alone get involved in, and mortin was the 'big boss' behind it all. Although I've moved onto other time-consuming things, icrontic and short-media will always have a parking space reserved in my heart, I still come back here when i need help. I can't describe the debt i feel towards mortin and the rest of the staff, you guys became and still are my first e-family.

Keith, I'll miss you man, I know you're in a better place, overclocking everyone's clouds :sad2:

ps: I'm subscribing to this thread. if there's anymore information on how all this happened please post it. thanks all, take care.

pss: thanks to keeb for linking me, i might not have found out for a long time if you didn't message me.