DVD2XViD 2.0: The ultimate guide

MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
edited June 2010 in Science & Tech
The ultimate step by step guide to XViD. Every step explained. Every setting explained.

Read it here

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    There's a broken bold tag on page 8, a broken size tag on page 9.

Enjoy folks. :)
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited October 2004
    This is a truly detailed step by step body of work. This brings together every piece of relevant information you need to know and understand about XViD and it is a definite article for the printer.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    :eek: Wow. That's an ARTICLE & then some ...

Good work Thrax, damn good work :thumbsup:
    edited October 2004
    I told ya it was gonna be a killer, my friend. :)
  • edited October 2004
    File is v1.0.2, description is v1.0.1

Codec/SoftwareFile SizeDescriptionXViD v1.0.2620KBThe newest version of the XViD codec at version 1.0.1.
  • edited October 2004
    yes, this is an excellent guide, well done!
    I was wondering, is this available as a download as well (eg pdf)???
    keep up the good work.
    dave
    edited October 2004
    I hadn't considered making it into a PDF, but given suitable time, it could be accomplished. I'll begin working on that this weekend.
  • edited October 2004
    that is realy nice mate, looking forward to it.
    dave
  • edited October 2004
    I just used the intermediate guide with gordian knot and the results are perfect! I've tried several guides and this one is TOP notch! If you have time you should definately put this guide into a .pdf file. I encoded a movie to be around 1100mb to fit 4 movies on one DVD using the LAME 3.90.3 dll with --alt-preset standard for sound and using the latest XviD so I can keep the originals put away and the results overall look just like the DVD, absolutely no artifacts/jerking/blocks like you can sometimes get with DivX type encodes. I must say that I'm more impressed with XviD quality than DivX Pro.
  • edited November 2004
    also... if you have any suggestions on encoding badly interlaced tv shows that are on dvd (example: saved by the bell) that would be greatly appreciated because im having no luck with them... the video is clean but its kinda jerky when deinterlacing in gordian knot
    edited November 2004
    Are you sure it's interlaced? The content may just be telecined, which is 23.976 FPS material tricked into displaying at 29.97 FPS.
  • edited November 2004
    yes it's interlaced... when i use dgindex and let it run to get what film type it is, it stays on NTSC/Interlaced and when the encode comes out the video isn't smooth, it's a little jumpy... it's looks like it's hiccuping... it also did the same thing on jay & silent bob strike back around halfway through the movie, it played smooth for the first half because it's progressive but it changes to interlaced from halfway to the end and the video is jerky like the tv show encodes... not sure how to solve that problem
    edited November 2004
    Is there any way you could get on AIM or ICQ and send me a piece of the video? I can attempt to sort it out. I'd only need a single chapter ripped to begin working on it. I have about 7 ways to try deinterlacing. Heh.
  • edited November 2004
    Just to say thanks for the helpful guide. Mostly how I have been doing it but adds some helpfull tips.

Just to add some feedback. The images in the guide are slightly blury, around the text you get small spots. It's because they are jpg files. If you save original screenshots as gif or png then they will be smaller in filesize and beter quality!
    edited November 2004
    The feedback is appreciated, but it's not a result of the files being jpegs. It's the result of a decision of our primary content master, Mediaman. He's decided that he opposes images that you can click to inflate because he believes that they impede the continuity and smooth flow of an article.

At times I disagree with the concept, as in my own article some very large windows had to be shrunk to very small sizes (Ruining important fidelity), but in the long run.. His concept helps more than it hurts.

Shrinking the GIF or PNG images to the same size would've produced the same unfortunate result.
  • edited November 2004
    I must disagree with you here, please let me explain.

I understand what you are saying about the click to inflate design. But for this article there are many 1:1 or 100% sized images (i.e. not shrunk).

For example, here is the 1st jpg image from the article.
    http://www.short-media.com/images/mm/Articles/dvd2xvid2/Default_XViD_Screen.jpg

Notice the jpg compression dots around the text. Most noticeable above the ax in maximum quality. This file is 25kb in size. (344x439 96dpi)

Here I have save a gif file of the same screen from the xvid program.
    www.picsplace.to/044671/Default_XViD_Screen-new.gif

Perfect quality (100% identical to the image you see when using the application).
    This file is 7kb in size. (Same dimensions 344x439 96dpi)

The png does even better. Same perfect quality, but the file is 4kb in size!
    www.picsplace.to/044671/Default_XViD_Screen-new2.png

I agree with you about the DVD Decrypter and other resized screen shots. These are shrunk and would still lose quality if save as gif. I did a quick test and saving these as jpg could be better then gif (same image quality for a slightly smaller file size).
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Two things for ya Thrax.

1) If you're going for PDF, there's a nice freeware program called CutePDF (you may already know this) that adds a printer that simply writes to a PDF file. So if you put the guide in Dreamweaver or Word or whatever, you could get a PDF out very easily.

2) I'm curious, do you know anything about RMVB? I'd like to convert some of my stuff to that format for storage space concerns but have made no progress.
  • edited February 2005
    do you have or know of a guide for divx encoding to get the type of quality that this xvid guide provides? i have a philips dvp642 dvd player and with the latest firmware it still refuses to play xvid files encoded with this guide, they look awesome on the computer but i want to play them on my dvd player too so i'm looking for a similar guide for divx pro... if you or anyone has a link to one i would greatly appreciate it... thanks
    edited February 2005
    Yeah, you can use Gordian Knot and use the DiVX codec instead inside the program. You can't load custom quantization matrices, or do much of anything besides enter a proper bitrate, but it's a newbie codec, what do you expect?

I, however, believe XViD will work on your player - as MPEG4 really is MPEG4 (XViD and DiVX are built on a simple mp4 profile), but you'll need to try disabling BVOP and QPel. QPel doesn't work on almost any set top DVD player.
  • edited February 2005
    if i disable qpel and/or bvop, will that degrade the quality?
  • edited October 2006
    :thumbsup: Hi Thrax,
    I am Suprio, a new member of short-media. First of all I would like to thank you a lot for the excellant article on XviD encoding. You've done a great job! Your article helped me very very much to understand the XviD codec cofiguration, the AutoGK and Gordian Knot(and also the other tools explained there). Your article is easy to understand and at the same time it's very much useful for advanced users. It is the the best tutorial of it's kind on the internet. After reading your article, I've encoded a movie(cry wolf) to XviD with 6ch ac3 audio in matroska, final size is 1GB and have a great quality! I'm also sending two screenshots of original and compressed videos for your review.

I'm personally very much interested in video compressing and I want to learn it more. You've discussed about the AVISynth in your article, but I think if would have discussed it with much details it would helped a lot. I request you to post another article on that.

Finally I will thank you again for your great work. If it is possible, please send me your e-mail address to me at supriokundu@gmail.com so that I can contact you and share my feedback on XviD encoding.

Keep it up!:thumbsup:
    edited October 2006
    I appreciate the before-and-after screenshots. Not many take the opportunity to do that! I'm sorry for taking so long to get back with you, but I wanted to figure out how to respond.

The AVISynth section of the article is probably one of the most complicated things that I am personally knowledgeable on to write about. I would, frankly, not know where to begin, and it would be a huge task. I may come back on this task at some time, but AVISynth is far more powerful in encoding DVDs and MPEG2 files. That's where it really shines.

You can find my instant messengers on the little icons under my user avatar. My email may be in my user profile, which you can get by clicking on my name.
  • edited August 2007
    Thankyou. This guide was extremely helpful. ;)

ps. Xvid is better than DivX..