Best BT client?

panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
edited June 2006 in Science & Tech
I am having some trouble with throughput with BT (tried a torrent with 100+ seeds, only was getting 5KB throughput :( )

So what is the best, fastest client for use with BT? I am currently trying to use shareaza

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    I used azareus until my college blocked BT traffic. I thought it worked nicely.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    I use ABC. It works really well for me.

http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/
  • GarabedGarabed Toronto, Canada
    edited November 2004
    ABC is all u need
  • AuthorityActionAuthorityAction Missouri Member
    edited November 2004
    Azureus is the best one I've ever used. IMO it beats ABC hands down. You can get it here: http://azureus.sourceforge.net/
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    ABC.

DMZ or port forward ports 44000 - 45000.
    Set the ABC client to use those ports.
    Maximum uploads should be (Max upload bandwidth / 8).
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited November 2004
    ABC is the only one I've tried, I like it.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited November 2004
    bitornado works for me, very easy to use.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    I used to use Shadow but that was a single thing. Using Azureus now (just downloaded it) and loving it. Multi torrenting. wooo...
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited November 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    ABC.

DMZ or port forward ports 44000 - 45000.
    Set the ABC client to use those ports.

Duh?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2004
    I use ABC as well. One thing I dont like is that if you have several torrents seeding at once it wont always keep your max upload speed. I often find my upload getting raped when I have it set to like 40k or so. Thats the only thing I dont like about ABC, otherwise its great.
  • comfortablecomfortable Sugarland, TX
    edited November 2004
    Bitcomet works for me. I ditched Azureus in favor of a non-java based client.
    edited November 2004
    panzerkw wrote:
    Duh?

It's not duh. I've had to make those instructions brick-to-the-face clear on SM atleast a dozen times. People don't understand that ISPs are taking notice of BT-typical ports and throttling them.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited November 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    It's not duh. I've had to make those instructions brick-to-the-face clear on SM atleast a dozen times. People don't understand that ISPs are taking notice of BT-typical ports and throttling them.

Correct. They're doing it in the UK too now. Also some sites wont allow you to connect to the tracker if you use the default ports, for precisly the reason quoted above
    edited November 2004
    Interesting... I didn't know that.

I'm kinda stuck configuring my modem for that... What should "Base Host Port" be set to? :confused:
    Protocol=TCP?

-Rick
    edited November 2004
    TCP, yes. But I don't know what a base host port is. :scratch:
    edited November 2004
    The last set of numbers of your computer's IP? LIke 192.168.0.X Just guessing here.
    edited November 2004

What's the IP got to do with it? :confused:
    edited November 2004
    On my D-Link, I have a "Trigger Port" field. I just put the port range in it (IE: "44000-45000" without quotes) and it's working fine. Maybe that's the same thing.
    edited November 2004
    Trigger ports only allow incoming traffic on the specified ports after specific outgoing traffic right? Hmm... That should work.

EDIT:
    It's still asking me for a trigger port! :rant:

Any suggestions?
    edited November 2004
    I dont know why you are doing it with FireFox anyway. All I did was tell ABC which ports and port forwarded those ports to my computer via the router. I didnt do anything with an Internet Browser.
    edited November 2004
    That's his router config, Marc. It just happens to be in a firefox window.
    edited November 2004
    I guess I do it inside of IE but it usually looks like IE and not like a pop-up window.
    edited November 2004
    Looks like a wizard interface. If I use the wizard on my router, it pops up another window. :)
    edited November 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    I dont know why you are doing it with FireFox anyway. All I did was tell ABC which ports and port forwarded those ports to my computer via the router. I didnt do anything with an Internet Browser.
    I'm trying to set up the router for port forwarding now, and this is the only way I know to reach the configuration.

That pic I posted a while ago was a popup from clicking "Define Custom Service" The rest of the config does look like a normal browser window...

It gives me an error when I try and hit next...

"Your Base Host Port plus your End Port in your range exceeds 65535."

Look familiar to anyone?

-Rick
    edited November 2004
    What router? Maybe the manufacture website will have some info.
    edited November 2004
    I think the modem is the router... It plugs into the Linksys switch through the uplink port.

Westll A90-210030-04
    Rev. G

EDIT: A quick google search didn't help much...
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited November 2004
    I meant duh in that I had no idea what you said
  • Cygnus_x_1Cygnus_x_1 New Jersey
    edited November 2004
    TheGr81 wrote:
    I think the modem is the router... It plugs into the Linksys switch through the uplink port.

Westll A90-210030-04
    Rev. G

EDIT: A quick google search didn't help much...

check here great site for port forwarding info...they have westell listed, but i didnt see your model.
  • edited November 2004
    I just started using ABC yesterday. It's the best BT Client I've used thus far (though I've only ever used Shadow's Expiremental, which is banned on most trackers, and the original client, which has no options what-so-ever.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited November 2004
    we had to stop doing all p2p here at work.. we got a forwarded email from iswest, they forwarded us an email from the MPAA. It appears someone here in the office was downloading movies. The mpaa now wants to sue and over, of all things, ron burgandy anchorman avi. Man it could have atleast been a worth while flick lol.