Who are you?

Comments

• edited December 2004
    Hi, I was wondering why my new PC showed two processors. I figured it was due to the hyperthreading technology, but I wasnt sure. I did a google search and you page came up. While reading the thread I noticed several users posting very adimately that this user should be "folding" or he would be hunted down :)

I thought I would protect myself, while also supporting you guys for providing me with that answer by joining your folding team once I figured out what it was.

Thanks

Here is a link to the thread, it was pretty funny.

http://www.short-media.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-2823.html
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited December 2004
    if you have a CPU that has Hyper Threading then yes it will show 2 CPU in the performance tab
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    TyphoonIT wrote:
    Hi, I was wondering why my new PC showed two processors. I figured it was due to the hyperthreading technology, but I wasnt sure. I did a google search and you page came up. While reading the thread I noticed several users posting very adimately that this user should be "folding" or he would be hunted down :)

I thought I would protect myself, while also supporting you guys for providing me with that answer by joining your folding team once I figured out what it was.

Thanks

Here is a link to the thread, it was pretty funny.

http://www.short-media.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-2823.html

Thanks Typhoon, may your box prove a folding Tsunami for this team, with big waves of completed WUs being turned in between your box and the other boxes folding for Team Short-Media, which is LONG on heart and grit and gumption-- :D (J\K and playing with words, but really welcoming you and hoping, yeah I know Tsunamis are caused by undersea quakes and Typhoon by wind current and such colliding, but Folding @ Home needs lots of boxes working to impact disease faster-- and grass roots efforts look like an underground thing like the cause of a Tsunami to folks who do not know the real WHY of Folding...) You're right, that thread had me :D ing also....
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Welcome to the team, Typhoon! I love the story behind how you got here. Whatever works, man!

even if it IS a threat of violence ;D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2004
    Welcome to the FUN team! :D

Keep an eye on the Milestone Forum. We like to acknowledge our team members notable Folding achievements. With a HT rig, once you hit 1,000 points your name will be showing up there quite a bit. :thumbsup:
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    TyphoonIT
    Welcome!!

That was me asking that question about hyper threading and two processors. :D That was about a year and a half ago. And look what has happened to me since. I am now one of the top 20 producers for the folding team "93" and have climbed to position 20 as well. The group here at Short-Media is quite amazing and diverse. Every time I have needed help in my noob quest for understanding these infernal machines, I have always gotten the answer quickley and courteously. These guys and gals are awesome. I felt that folding for the team would be a small gesture of thanks. Well a year and a half later I am totaly addicted to folding and counting points. I now have a nice "Farm" of 9 machines folding. And have plans for more. It is a lot of fun.

So welcome to the team ! And if you need help with anything, you are in the right place. Just ask.

Ps. They were pretty rough on me wern't they.

Scott
  • VolvoVolvo Eureka, Ca on the Pacific
    edited December 2004
    Hi,
    I'm Greg Mann from Eureka, California. I've been folding for team 93 about a week now. I'm quite happily married to Diane (23 years). I have two daughters ages 29 and 18 both are out on their own ;o) I drive a 1970 Volvo 142s that needs paint.
    I work as a Help Desk Tech for the local County Govt. (3 yrs) I love spending most of my time in front of a monitor studying what is on the net/repairing PC's and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Spiritually I'm an ECKist. I love the light and sound of God. I am no longer interested in drugs or smoke. The parties I attend are centered on conversation and food. I do enjoy smooth Jazz and most music with good clear vocals. (That doesn’t include rap.)
    I'm a Linux newbie I've installed Linspire 4.5 & Ubuntu my goal includes Debian.
    I do have a couple of old boxes folding 24/7 one running Ubuntu and folding from a terminal window. In my opinion that's mighty slow but my knowledge of folding could use a lot of improvement.
    I have a P4 3400 cpu, Intel D915PBLL mb, and XP on the way.
    My main box is a Dell Precision Workstation 620 that is about 4 yrs old running Win XP.
    CPU: Xeon 933 w/256K Cache
    Ram: 4x 256 Mgs RamBus
    Drives:2 SCSI LVD 160s @ 10K rpm, Boot Partition 13Gig holds XP and Progs. / Work Partition 54 Gig has Data/downloads/MP3s; 2nd Drive 17Gig Images and Power Quests Data Keeper is mirroring my data folder on the work partition.
    I joined Short-Media because it's such an awesome team with great Spirit and folding anonymously wasn’t much fun. I fold because - Why not it may help and I’ve had several relatives and friends translate (leave their human form permanently) after suffering from terrible diseases.
    at cox.net I'm volvomann ;o)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Glad to have another Volvo lover on board! :thumbsup:
    edited December 2004
    I know another ECKist - I had never heard of Eckankar until my friend told me his mom was into it. There just happens to be an Eckankar temple near my house. Small world :D

Welcome to short-media, Greg :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Welcome, Volvo! :thumbsup: I hope you find Short-Media more than just a tech site, but rather a tight community that it is for so many of us.
    edited December 2004
    Hi Leonardo,
    I joined bacause it's got to be more fun folding with a team. I've always enjoyed being part of a team! That's when I'm at my best.
    My Best to you,
    Volvo
    edited December 2004
    Hi Gargoyle,
    Do you drive a Volvo too?
    My Best to you,
    Volvo
    edited December 2004
    Hi primesuspect,
    I eventually plan to visit the Buddhist forum but my plate is full right now.
    My Best to you,
    Volvo
    There's no way to miss out on the blessings of God unless you turn your back on the love and thanks that are yours as a gift.
    -Harold Klemp
    The Spiritual leader of ECKANKAR, Religion of the Light and Sound
    I know another ECKist - I had never heard of Eckankar until my friend told me his mom was into it. There just happens to be an Eckankar temple near my house. Small world :D

Welcome to short-media, Greg :)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Volvo wrote:
    Hi Gargoyle,
    Do you drive a Volvo too?
    My Best to you,
    Volvo

Well, not drive exactly. I used to, until it stopped starting. Lately I haven't had the time and money to fix it, since my other car is having major mechanical difficulties too. I might have it running again "soon" though. If I do, I'll make sure to post in the car thread. Here's a link to my post about my Volvo 122s in that thread.
    edited December 2004
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Well, not drive exactly. I used to, until it stopped starting. Lately I haven't had the time and money to fix it, since my other car is having major mechanical difficulties too. I might have it running again "soon" though...
    You are not likely to pick up any manufacturer's endorsement as a result of that post.

Just thought I'd mention it... :hiding:

Oh, yeah - nice to meet you, (has a running) Volvo. :):thumbsup::fold:;D
  • 1030mhz1030mhz Tail end of tomarrow
    edited January 2005
    Hey i just started folding tonight

My name is Jordon, age 22, im a Radar Tech currently in the south pacific working as a contracter for the US Gov. Home is Las Vegas NV, im your normal geek, love computers and gaming. I also enjoy Mt. Bikeing im gonig to take up Scuba Diveing here soon. Anyway glad to be part of the SM team
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited January 2005
    Welcome to the team dood. You're gonna fit right in.
  • edited January 2005
    My Name is Colin, 16, Im still a sophmore in high school. I enjoy playing computer games I'm not really good with computers but being the youngest in my family deems me the most resourceful with the computer (i.e if there is a problem i have to find a way to fix it)
    Mostly I enjoy Anime&Manga and music thats about it
    edited January 2005
    Yakumo wrote:
    ...I'm not really good with computers but being the youngest in my family deems me the most resourceful with the computer (i.e if there is a problem i have to find a way to fix it)...
    Hang around here a while and that will change. :thumbsup:

Nice to meet you! :wave:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    i.e if there is a problem i have to find a way to fix it
    Just think, by tapping into the collective experience here, you'll be able to fix just about anything on a PC. Your family will be astonished, your friends will be admiring, neighbors will nod their head in approval.... the city council will notice, you'll be famous! :D Well, just a little bit of exaggeration here - but not much!
  • SMGSMG
    edited February 2005
    My name is Stephen. I am 31 years young. I have gotten to a point in my life where I realized I was always taking and not giving back. I don't know if my measily i-Mac w/ 1.25ghz G4 will make a difference but it's one more CPU dedicated to humanity.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    SMG wrote:
    My name is Stephen. I am 31 years young. I have gotten to a point in my life where I realized I was always taking and not giving back. I don't know if my measily i-Mac w/ 1.25ghz G4 will make a difference but it's one more CPU dedicated to humanity.
    Stephen your contribution is appreciated no matter how much you have to donate. I know I feel better knowing that the project has grown 1.25g! :fold:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    SMG wrote:

Indeed, csimon is right - humanity appreciates your contribution no matter what the size. :thumbsup:
    edited February 2005
    w00t! mac! :D

Welcome aboard :thumbsup:
    edited February 2005
    Ha! We'll regain our proper Top Ten standing through the use of Mac's - and teach Team MacOS X a lesson: Don't mess with Team Short-Media.

Oh, the irony! :vimp:

Welcome aboard! :thumbsup:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited February 2005
    Welcome aboard!!!:)
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    Welcome to team 93!

Are you one of the people from the VWVortex thread?
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2005
    Welcome to the Team. :thumbsup:
  • SMGSMG
    edited February 2005
    DanG wrote:
    Welcome to team 93!

Are you one of the people from the VWVortex thread?

Yes, I am "Lobo" from VWVortex. I tried to use Lobo but it was already taken. No biggie! Thanks for the hook up, my compy is folding away.

My wife thinks it's like watching grass grow (the molecules/proteins rotating) but I could sit and watch that all day :D
  • SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited March 2005
    Hi all.
    My name is David, and I live in Sydney Australia!
    I emigrated here about 7 years ago from London UK, (Wife couldnt take the cold weather)
    We have a 2 month old daughter, and 2 cats
    We have recently bought an Internet cafe in Dee Why, and I am enjoying building computers and selling parts and upgrades as well as running the cafe and the gaming machines!

Siggy