Remove Home Search Assistant

Comments

• DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited December 2004
    Hi all... how do I remove this awful thing??? I have windows 98 and am NOT computer-literate. I found the instructions very difficult and finally gave up. Isn't there a simpler way? I even purchased software called Zerospyware and it couldn't remove it. Of course, Adaware and Spybot are useless. If someone has an update on software that removes it, I'd sure appreciate hearing about it...

The Removal Guide does not work for Win 95 or 98. This is because the nature of the infection is different. Please join our forum (it is free) and post an HJT log in the SVT forum so we can help you remove it manually.

There is no simple software solution to this problem, this infection was designed to be difficult to remove, so that the scum who are behind this can keep you infected and keep making money from your page hits. But we can and will help you.

When you join our forum, send me a private message so I can make sure you get helped for the Win 98 version of this problem.

Dexter...
  • edited December 2004
    Hello,

I just wanted to say, I found your article via a google search, and I read your article on removing the Shitty Ass Search Assistant.. and it's ALL GONE! Thank you so much. Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!! If it wasn't for the article, I think I would have tracked down the makers of the bullshit and killed them physically... I hate them all! Those people need to die! Anyways...thanks again.

Twisted -Owner Of:
    www.vindictivebastard.com
    edited December 2004
    Hello,

I just wanted to say, I found your article via a google search, and I read your article on removing the ****ty Ass Search Assistant.. and it's ALL GONE! Thank you so much. Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!! If it wasn't for the article, I think I would have tracked down the makers of the bull**** and killed them physically... I hate them all! Those people need to die! Anyways...thanks again.

Twisted -Owner Of:
    www.vindictivebastard.com

Take a deep breath...exhale....deep breath...exhale....OK, feel better now...? :D

Glad we could help you Guest. Trust me, many, many people feel the exact same way you do. If you ever need help again, you now know where to find it.

And if you want to feel really good, do something good for mankind with your computer...click the link in my signature to find out about the Folding For A Cure project. :)

Dexter...
  • edited December 2004
    Just a short note of THANKS!
    Ran HJT, hit clean, hard boot, safe mode, deleted files, presto chango - all is okay. Just a short note that there were numerous dll files to purge (all of them 55k in size in both winnt and system32 directories) and two dll's mfcpg32.dll and ntzq32.dll both in system32 (29k I believe). Great stuff.
    Really appreciate it!
  • edited December 2004
    I am trying to download the fix for the Backdoor-BDD virus and I am unable to download the about_:Buster program. It keeps saying the website is unavailable.

How can I get this program another way?

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited December 2004
  • edited December 2004
    Hai,

I was suffering from the Home search assistant for about 2 months. I just searched with the Google and hoked into your website. Without a confidence I went through your document and followed all the steps you have provided in removing the home search assistent. And after finishing all the steps I restarted the System and opened the Internet Explorer. To my surprise the HOME SEARCH DAMN was "VANISHED" Thanks a lot for providing a superb tutorial on removing the Home Search Assistant. I wil recoment your reference for all those who have got this Problem.
    All the best for you and provide contineus help like this...
  • edited December 2004
    First wanted to thanks for putting this information on the website. I was able to remove the pest by disabling the "Workstation Netlogon Service", removing the entries from System Registry, running Hijack This and About Buster. Found few more characteristic that I would like to mention. My OS was Windows XP SP1 Home Edition.
    -- Files created by the malware are not just "exe"s or "dll"s but also "".log", ".dat", ".sys" etc. Files can be hidden. Additionally, one can locate these files by running MSDOS "find" command with the search string "onemoresearch"
    -- The malware can attach itself to a bogus service (as Workstation NetLogon) or can include itself in the profile startup as a LocalServer. You can check this using the msconfig.exe utility and clicking the "startup" tab. You have to be an administrator to do this.
    -- Combination of Adaware and HijackThis can identify most registry entries and files but not all.
    -- You can download and run "regmon.exe" to identify program/process that changes the registry entry.
    -- In Windows XP SP1, create another account for yourself with limited privileges (not an administrator provilege), so that any rogue program will not be able to modify the registry.
    Good luck!!!
  • edited January 2005
    I am not able to get into the Services.msc screen. I receive a windows popup that sayd I need Internet Explorer 5.5 or greater. I have WinXP SP2 with IE 6.whatever. Any ideas as to what I can do becuase I can't do anything if I can't get into that screen
    edited January 2005
    I am not able to get into the Services.msc screen. I receive a windows popup that sayd I need Internet Explorer 5.5 or greater. I have WinXP SP2 with IE 6.whatever. Any ideas as to what I can do becuase I can't do anything if I can't get into that screen

Guest,

You are going to have to register as a user here (it's free) and post a Hijack This log in our SVT forum. Make sure to use HJT v1.99 as it will show the services in the scan.

Send me a private message whem you post your log so I can review it.

Dexter...
  • edited January 2005
    [Post Edited by Leonardo]

Mr. Unregistered,

Your posts are deleted in this thread. We'd like to help you, but let's do things properly. Don't Place HJT logs here. Please register at Short-Media, here, become a full member (no charge, no spam, no hassle); then post your problem and HJT log here
  • edited January 2005
    Actually, Guest, if you read our removal guide, you will see that HSRemove is discussed in the guide, complete with a download link, no Googling necessary.

Post edited by moderator.
  • edited January 2005
    //Edited by Leonardo// Please see my post about registering.
    edited January 2005
    type in hsremove in google then download and then run the dam installer and its ****ing gone!!!

Actually, Guest, if you read our removal guide, you will see that HSRemove is discussed in the guide, complete with a download link, no Googling necessary.

You would also find that HSRemove is not 100% effective on it's own every time. It is a good first step, but is not always the last step, and we have dozens upon dozens of forum posts here which back that statement up.

Dexter...
  • edited January 2005
    Hi guys.
    My problem is that i have search assistant installed on my computer and damn, ait can't be removed. My homepage always returns to 'about:blank'everytime i try to change it. Seems to me that the site is oz.msie.tv. Please help !

Thanks,
    aryo
    edited January 2005
    Hi guys.
    My problem is that i have search assistant installed on my computer and damn, ait can't be removed. My homepage always returns to 'about:blank'everytime i try to change it. Seems to me that the site is oz.msie.tv. Please help !

Thanks,
    aryo

Guest,

Please see the comments above about getting help. The only way we can help you is if you register as a member here, then post an HJT log in our Security SVT forum. Otherwise we cannot help you.

Dexter...
  • edited January 2005
    yet I did not remove home search from add/remove program. help me how to remove it. I used all spywares
  • edited January 2005
    Strange. I can't seem to comment when logged in.

Anyway, I have a question in regards to your guide, which seems excellent for the most part. I'm just unlcear on what exactly I use the printed copy of the first HJT log for. Am I supposed to clear out anything that appeared on the second HJT log and not the first? or compare it in some way?

If I could get that one point cleared up, I think I could get this bastard fixed. Let me know, thanks
    DarkTlaloc
  • edited January 2005
    ur removal guide isnt working. HSA must have created a new and improved version so we cannot delete everything. i hav tried next to everything. spybot, ad-aware se personal, hsremoval, even your own guide to remove the damn thing. but nothing is working on my computer. would service pack 2 have any to do with it "not" working? please reply to help me get rid of HSA once and for all!!!
  • edited January 2005
    I go about half way through this tedious process and said screw it I refomatted and reinstalled. Damn that was easy compared to this. Good luck if you are going to try.
  • edited January 2005
    One more thing if I would have followed it and not got it right it would be like a double wammy.
  • edited January 2005
    where is the guide i can't see it where cab i downdload it?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2005
    where is the guide i can't see it where cab i downdload it?
    Click on the word "here" in the very first post on page one of this thread. :)
  • edited January 2005
    I'm trying to remove HSA but the link http://www.atribune.org/downloads/AboutBuster.zip gives an error page I've gone to the site but I can't find it there their. Could you please tell me where I can download this file.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2005
    rbich wrote:
    ...Could you please tell me where I can download this file.
    Try this link. :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    A reminder, DO NOT POST LOGS IN HERE!! They go in the SVT forum. Thanks.
  • edited January 2005
    Happened to one of my computers, and it stole all internet functionality from that computer. Not even windows update could function. I followed the step by step instructions and now am adware/spyware free. Great work and a heartfelt thank you for making this free and available to everyone. Anyone that has been hijacked, remember to unplug the computer for a hard shutdown. I forgot that step the first time and it came back.
  • edited January 2005
    IM going to kill the son of a bitch fucker who created home shopping assistent,search extender, and shopping wizard!!!
  • edited January 2005
    This guide did the trick! It was the most comprehensive one I could find! Thanks!!!
  • edited January 2005
    I have the same problem described with the home search assistant and not being able to get rid of it. I think it might be linked to a problem i have recently gotten with my AIM crashing as soon as i send/recieve an instant message. it works fine untill this happens. the AIM website said the two things might be linked. how do i get rid of home search assitant? i have run the newest versions of adaware, spybot, and norton to no avail.