Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Heatsink

MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
edited June 2005 in Science & Tech
It takes just one look at the Arctic Cooling Freezer64 to realize it is not a standard heatsink.

Read it here

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    nice article MM ...well written! :thumbsup:
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited February 2005
    Thankee kindly. Me writs goot. ;D
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    MediaMan wrote:
    Thankee kindly. Me writs goot. ;D
    jahaha!

Well I really have an appreciation for the cooler whereas had I just looked at it from a performance side of view I would have thought it was teh crap! ;D
    I can appreciate a quiet cooler objectively now thanks! :thumbsup:

I imagine that when toledo appears in what ...2q05? This sink may get to live up to it's name. Dual cores from what I've read run cooler! I may be mistaken as I've been known to be at times! :bawling:

thanks guy ...you're appreciated here!
    csimon

ps:\ did I mention that I think kf deserves a promotion? :scratch:
  • jon
    edited February 2005
    why is it Not an overclocker's heatsink ?
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited February 2005
    Maybe you missed the temperature testing results...
    http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=280&p=3 (bottom of the page)

55*C under load with a stock 4000+ is wholly unacceptable for a heatsink that's intended for overclocking.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    Nice review MM. Hope you don't mind, I posted it @ IC front page news (reviews).
    I thought it was definitely a worthy review for posting friend. Well Done.
  • edited February 2005
    I just installed one last night in my system, ordered from sidewinder.com. I originally ordered one from NewEgg but that arrived with a broken fan (!!) and I returned it for repair, they were out of stock so they gave me a full refund and I looked around for other sources.

Anyway, my CPU is now 5-8 degrees cooler than it was with the stock AMD cooler, and this cooler itself is certainly quiet. But as you can see from the photos in this review, it blows straight onto the power supply and as a result, my power supply fan is now spinning faster (and louder) than it was before. This is for a 3000+ Winchester on an Asus A8V mobo mounted inside an Antec Sonata case. There's also 4 hard drives mounted, and I have a second 120mm fan mounted inside as well. My ambient room temp is 18.3C, LM sensors reports 27C M/B and 31C CPU at idle. The cooler is running at default speed, LM sensors reports 2343RPM. The rear case fan is at 1205RPM and the front case fan is 1140RPM.

The orientation is pretty unfortunate, too bad they couldn't have come up with a mounting orientation that blows to the rear of the case instead of up or down, then it would be exhausting heat toward my rear case fan (which is obviously not working very hard) and leave the poor power supply alone.

• edited February 2005
    Anyone know if two of these would fit in the MSI K8T Master2 motherboard?
  • edited March 2005
    I'm seeing easily a 5-8 degree drop on the stock AMD cooler too, and even my chipset temp seems better than before.
    I think your problems lies with poor installation (either too thick a layer of thermal paste, or you have air pockets). Having the PSU so close wouldn't help either, so maybe this cooler should only be recommended for cases where the PSU is out of the way. I have the Arctic Cooling Silentium T2 case, and believe it or not, the PSU is well out of the way (as if by design) ;)

Most of the other reviews on the net also show that it is significantly better than the stock AMD cooler.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2005
    As seen in the pictures , the bottom mounted PSU fan is in close proximity to the freezer64. If anything, this fact should improve the thermal disipation of the sink. That fan would be exhausting the 'warm' air blown through the fins.
  • edited March 2005
    That is a good point lemonlime, if that is the intake for the PSU; is that a case intake fan near the cpu though? (height.jpg) Seems to be a strange airflow in that case if it is. Either way, something has gone wrong if my system (overclocked to 2.5-2.6GHz) runs way cooler than the reviewer's test machine (which seems to agree with every other review on the cooler). My money is on incorrect installation of some kind. Very good pictures and review otherwise though.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited March 2005
    My money is on incorrect installation of some kind.

From the Arctic Cooling website installation guide for the Freezer64

Align the Freezer in a standard ATX case in such a way that the fan blows the hot air to the back or to the top. In case you are using our Silentium PC Case, the Freezer 64 should blow the hot air to the front or to the top.

You may have put your money down in error.

:)
  • edited March 2005
    I didn't mean the orientation of the fan MediaMan, I meant a poor contact with the heatsink, poor coverage of thermal paste, etc.

Having already fitted the thing myself I am fully aware of how it is meant to work. Hot air rises, etc, therefore, it makes sense to either suck the air to the front (then allow it to move upwards in a natural convection current), or to help it along and blow it up towards the fan exhausts at the top of the case.
  • edited March 2005
    Check out these reviews. They seem to agree with everyone else's finding appart from MediaMan.

http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/freezer64/

http://www.insanetek.com/index.php?page=arcticcf64

I currently get 27-28 degrees idle, 37-38 max load (24hr+ Prime95)
    (although my paste is over 200hrs old)
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Guest,

I looked at that Bigbruin review...they measure the HEATSINKS temperature, not the cores. How on earth can there only be 1 degree difference between idle and load?
    Mediaman also had a much higher ambient (case temperature) which greatly affects the cpu cooling.
  • edited May 2005
    Very nice review!
    Btw, i have started visiting short-media.com every day due to my cooling issues :P Very cool place overall. Going to buy that cooler today.
  • edited June 2005
    To answer my own question; yes if you use two Freezer 4's and trim the fins on the one nearest the AGP slot. Good cooling and extemely quiet - the hard drive is louder!