ICYBOX IB350 USB2.0/SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited October 2011 in Science & Tech
The ICY BOX is an external hard drive enclosure designed to be driverless, portable and provide fast connectivity. External hard drives are very convenient but aren't as fast as the same hard drive that is connected internally and directly to a PATA or SATA header, The ICY BOX may just change that by bringing SATA connectivity to the table.

Read it here

Comments

• edited July 2004
    My only problem is, I cant find where to buy one from!! Any one help? dan@citrusdesigns.co.uk
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    My apologies, I shall add that to the review as the edit was lost in digital hyperspace :(

www.thecoolingshop.co.uk
    www.micro-logic.com

Both will have stocks shortly :)
  • edited August 2004
    The enclosure may not stay ice cool but it was certainly never hot enough to warrant any concern. The drive itself was only warm to the touch after 5 hours constant usage.

Did you by any chance monitor the SMART temperature setting? I have a Maxtor HDD which registers 5C above ambient when in use.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Looks JUST like my Speeze "Metal Gear Box Substance," except mine is USB/1394. Runs great too. Whoever is actually making these has a good, affordable product.
  • edited October 2004
    My icy box does not work with my computer. I have windows2000 and xp.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Which interface do you use?? USB2 or Serial ATA :)
    edited October 2004
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Looks JUST like my Speeze "Metal Gear Box Substance," except mine is USB/1394. Runs great too. Whoever is actually making these has a good, affordable product.

I take it back. My Speeze enclosure crapped out. Doesn't work anymore. :banghead:
  • edited December 2004
    i'm using the same drive as in this review but a 2mb cache version. i am connecting through usb. the drive seems to disconnect and reconnect itself for no reason sometimes. has anyone else had this problem? REALLY annoying!

oh... and mesh sides for cooling?! mine has lights, hence reflective panels that cover up the mesh sides on the inside... :\
  • edited January 2005
    I have exactly the same problem, it keeps disconnecting me. I keep all my documents on there, so when i'm listening to some music or watching a movie, it f***s up in the middle of it.

Really gets on my tits..
  • edited February 2005
    Hi all,
    I have problems with both of my HDD using these Icy Box enclosures (model IB-350_IL USB2 + FW400). They seem to run good until all of my backups dissapear from the HDD. I experienced this phenomenon on Win XP as well as on Linux with kernel 2.6.8.
    All the datas are simply whiped out when using FW400 or USB ports.
    I've seen that the drivers are from Prolific (!?!?!?!) and had some problems with a Prolific driver for a USB to serial adaptor.
    I will not recommand buying these Prolific bullshit to anyone! You get less than you pay for...

• edited March 2005
    Be very careful using the icybox as your data backup. I bought one with USB2 and FW400 PATA box. It regularly corrupts the data, or it disappears completely. Only the folders can be seen. After copying the data, when you want to access it WinXP tells you that the drive is not formatted (which of course it was, when the data was copied). This is a terrible product, and I am sending mine back to where I bought it from. Hope this helps those who were thinking of getting one.
    edited March 2005
    There you have it folks - the ICYBOX and its rebaged bretheren are not to be relied on.
  • edited March 2005
    hello
    I have had no problems with the ICYBOX at all, under multiple XP machines and in 2 different linux distros (RH and FC3)
    I have even accidentally pulled the power out and the data was fine.
    I therefore recommend the IcyBox (USB) !
  • edited May 2005
    Hi all

Would you Please anybody give me any alternative product, which is working perfect.
    Kamal
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited May 2005
    My Iceybox (PATA, USB 2.0) works great, never had a any issues with it what so ever.
  • edited August 2005
    guys if your want a really nice enclosure case you need to buy this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145369 BYTECC ME-740U2SI Aluminum 3.5" USB + SATA External Enclosure this baby sure is a good product I benched marked her at 115MBps using the sata connection and she has yet to give me any problems.. she also has an aluminum casing keeping the hard drive nice and cool.. the only time she really gets hot is when I am running games off of her... but in the process of hooking up some external water cooling to her... hands down really good product....oh yea I am using a maxtor 7200rpm 15mb cache 200g hard drive........
  • edited July 2008
    I would appreciate some advice about my new IcyBox which I received today. I have an Apple Mac machine, I connected my external hard drive to the Icybox and then to my Apple Mac. I then got a message saying that my computer was unable to read the disk and it gave me the option to 'initialize', 'ignore' or 'eject the disk. I do not want to lose the data on the disk so I chose to ignore. Previously the disk was in a Lacie enclose and a few months ago all four partitions (icons) of the disk just suddenly disappeared from my desk top. I then decided to buy a new enclosure yesterday. Can you give me some help, as in the manual which came with the Icybox, it says to make sure that the HDD jumper is set to 'Master', and I am not sure how to do this.

If anyone can help me to get my disk to work or offer any advice I would be more than grateful.

Regards

Barbs05
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    To jumper a drive into Master mode.

Look on the rear of the drive, near the power connection:

You should see a series of jumpers labeled Master, Slave, and Cable-select Like this:

M S C
    : : :

You should move the jumper tab to the ones labeled M, if it isn't already:

-M S C
    [:]: :
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Shorty, one positive you missed - maybe you didn't have a long enough testing period - is the case on the IcyBox has excellent cooling properties. I've got a very similar unit based on the very same case. You can torture that drive for hours on end, and if it's deployed standing up, the heat radiates into the aluminum walls and into the air very efficiently. It's a winning, attractive design. The one I have, purchased about six years ago, is branded "Metal Gear Solid." I use at work with an old laptop to run a slide show of my photo collection.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    2004 was a good year.
  • edited July 2008
    Thanks, however, not sure what your message is in response to my query.
  • edited September 2008
    I have an icy box ib-mp302. can anyone tell me how to set it to master? the instruction booklet was written by the chinese and it looks like it. they are as clear as mud.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2008
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2008
    It means the hard drive set to master, you use the jumpers in the back. Check the label for your drive for more information on jumper positions.
  • edited September 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    I have hitachi deskstar 500gb HDP725050gla360 hd. there is nothing on the label about "master" and there was no instructions in the box. Any suggestions about the cables?
  • edited September 2008
    legweak wrote:
    Thats the one. I have hitachi deskstar 500gb HDP725050gla360 hd. there is nothing on the label about "master" and there was no instructions in the box. Any suggestions about the cables?
    edited September 2008
    Quoting yourself doesn't get you faster results. If you look at the back of the drive on ALL hitachi's, there's white sticker above the I/O ports. If you read it, you'll know everything you need.

EDIT:// In case you didn't figure out already, it's talking about the hard disk itself, not the actual enclosure.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    That's a SATA drive. SATA drives don't need jumpers. Is your Icybox the SATA or IDE model? You aren't trying to put an SATA drive in an IDE Icybox, are you?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    With IDE enclosures, many times you need to remove the jumpers from the drive to get it to work.
    edited September 2008
    So wait, he's trying to put a SATA drive in an IDE enclosure? Because he said the one that was linked was the one he had, and it's IDE.