Prospective Team Member Guide

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Folding@Home
What Folding@Home is: A Stanford University project to find out how proteins fold.

Why it's important: Proteins folding wrong causes all kinds of diseases, like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and forms of cancer. We're fueling research that could end all that.

How it works: You download a safe, tested program that is certified by Stanford University. It gets work from Stanford, runs calculations using your spare computer power, and sends the results back to the University.

Is it safe? Yes! Folding@Home rarely effects computer performance in any way and won't compromise your privacy in any way. A study was done on F@H's effect on a computer. It only uses the computing power you aren't using so it doesn't slow down other programs.

Check out this video about Folding@Home!

How can I start folding? Check out this quick-and-dirty guide we made on downloading and setting up Folding@Home. Be sure to post any questions you have!

There's no reason to not get involved! It's free, easy, and you can know you're helping every minute without lifting a finger.

For more information, check out the Everything About Folding@Home thread. Also, PLEASE start a new thread to say hello and/or ask ANY question you have! We're an extremely friendly bunch and will be very happy to hear from you.

Thanks for helping such a great cause! You're doing good!

:fold: If anyone is having problems setting up the program or have any questions, please make a new thread so we can help you better.:)

If you decide to join the team, get a quick orientation to the team and say hello!

Comments

• DuboidsDuboids Akron, Pa
    edited March 2005
    Well a long time ago I was folding for you guys but currently my cores go to folding for Ancient. But folding is a great cause and for anyone that leaves their PC on all the time anyway it might as well be folding..... :thumbsup:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    That's exactly what we've been saying: Why WOULDN'T you fold? :D

Thanks for stopping in! :mullet:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    Hey, Duboids - that's the main thing. :thumbsup::fold:

Choosing Team 93 is just gravy (for us) after that. :)
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Duboids wrote:
    Well a long time ago I was folding for you guys but currently my cores go to folding for Ancient. But folding is a great cause and for anyone that leaves their PC on all the time anyway it might as well be folding..... :thumbsup:

Hey Duboids, long time no see. Hope all is going well with you. :)

Thanks for stopping in and endorsing the project. :mullet:
  • DuboidsDuboids Akron, Pa
    edited March 2005
    Thanks all and you have a great team. Good to see you are recruiting. It is for a great cause no matter who you fold for, like some one here said Cancer sucks and has taken a lot of peoples lives.... :(
  • edited March 2005
    Hello

I would like to help in this project but I only have computer at work and it is not on all the time,it is on from 08:00 to 18:00.Would that be of any help?

Cubur99
    What Folding@Home is: A Stanford University project to find out how proteins fold.

Why it's important: Proteins folding wrong causes all kinds of diseases, like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and forms of cancer. We're fueling research that could end all that.

How it works: You download a safe, tested program that is certified by Stanford University. It gets work from Stanford, runs calculations using your spare computer power, and sends the results back to the University.

Is it safe? Yes! Folding@Home rarely effects computer performance in any way and won't compromise your privacy in any way. A study was done on F@H's effect on a computer. It only uses the computing power you aren't using so it doesn't slow down other programs.

Check out this video about Folding@Home!

How can I start folding? Check out this quick-and-dirty guide we made on downloading and setting up Folding@Home. Be sure to post any questions you have!

There's no reason to not get involved! It's free, easy, and you can know you're helping every minute without lifting a finger.

For more information, check out the Everything About Folding@Home thread. Also, PLEASE start a new thread to say hello and/or ask ANY question you have! We're an extremely friendly bunch and will be very happy to hear from you.

Thanks for helping such a great cause! You're doing good!
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2005
    cubur99..........thanks for stopping by. It does NOT matter whether you fold full-time or part-time. Everything helps towards finding a cure. :)

Quite a few people are only able to F:fold:LD on a part-time basis. Add them all together and they become a force to be reckoned with.

It would be great if you could join in with Team #93. The more the merrier. :thumbsup:

Jon
  • edited March 2005
    I just joined Team 93 using a 700Mhz AMD, W98SE. You guys helped me with my computer problems so at I can return the favor. To bad they don't have it for W95. I have two machines that are idle 99% of the time and running 100% of the time.
    All I need to do now is find out what I'm working on. LOL :confused:
    edited March 2005
    Welcome to THE team Tom. :thumbsup:

My wife is the one that knows about setting up and how it works (she's "The handbrake) :D . Cant ask as she is having a snooze. :)

I do know this bit though.
    With the Graphical version (GUI) i right click on the red cog. Go to status and click logfile.
    Near the top you will find something like this.

[13:14:43] Protein: p1275_proj1275_A21ext_d19_99phi

This Work Unit is a P1275.
    Hoping you can do this too, go to this link, scroll down till you find the protein you are working on.

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/psummary.html

1275 171.65.103.155 p1275_proj1275_A21ext_d19_99phi 11828 10.00 14.00 46.00 100 GROMACS Description esorin

At the top of the page it explains each column. The 46 i made bold is the value in points.

Hope this is of some help for you.

Jon
    edited March 2005
    Thanks for joining the team, everyone! This is fantastic :D
  • edited March 2005
    DragonV8,

Thanks for the information. Not to worried about the points. I did find out what I am working on.
    I sent emails to most of my contact list with the invite to join.
    Thanks
    tom

These projects study the unfolding pathway of a p53 dimer. P53 is a tumor suppressor protein whose disfunction is implicated in over 50% of human cancers. A series of other projects in combination with this project may shed light on the process by which four copies of p53 come together to form the active complex.
    edited March 2005
    tom_tx2001 wrote:
    DragonV8,

Thanks for the information. Not to worried about the points. I did find out what I am working on.
    I sent emails to most of my contact list with the invite to join.
    Thanks
    tom

These projects study the unfolding pathway of a p53 dimer. P53 is a tumor suppressor protein whose disfunction is implicated in over 50% of human cancers. A series of other projects in combination with this project may shed light on the process by which four copies of p53 come together to form the active complex.

And here i was giving you some info, which in comparison pales by your knowledge. :D

You have a good way of explaining. :thumbsup:
    Always interested learning something new. (hard part is remembering). :(

Like most people that F:fold:LD, we do it for the right reasons. Humanity and the well being of mankind. It's the points that have a nice competitive side effect and give it a different interest. ;)

Jon
    edited March 2005
    Welcome to the Team cubur99 & tom_tx2001 and thanks so much for your support. :wave:

Hey guys, is there not a client that is compatible for 95? Have you tried the 98 program Tom?
  • edited March 2005
    hi guys signed up do i auto join this folding team or is their something else i gotta do
    thanx red777
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    red777 wrote:
    hi guys signed up do i auto join this folding team or is their something else i gotta do
    thanx red777
    The only requirement to be a full member of Team 93 with all the rights and privileges thereof is to download the Folding client appropriate for your needs and run it. Assuming you've done that, you are all set.

Welcome to the FUN bunch, red! :thumbsup::fold:
    edited March 2005
    And make sure you type "93" when you are asked for your team number :)

Welcome to the team!
  • edited March 2005
    TBonZ wrote:
    Welcome to the Team cubur99 & tom_tx2001 and thanks so much for your support. :wave:

Hey guys, is there not a client that is compatible for 95? Have you tried the 98 program Tom?
    TBonZ,
    No I have not tried yet but I will.
    Question: What is the line in the display window below the WU progress¿ :scratch:
  • edited March 2005
    hi where do i get team home page and team logo
    thanx
  • edited March 2005
    TBonZ wrote:

TBonZ

The 98 version work on 95 so far. Been running 15Min.

On the 98SE the WU progress would not update(0/2500)...then it(FAH) crashed. Fired it back up went to 19/2500 but since the crash it is updating.
    Go figure

Thanks for the help

tom :thumbsup:
    edited March 2005
    tom_tx2001 wrote:
    TBonZ,
    No I have not tried yet but I will.
    Question: What is the line in the display window below the WU progress¿ :scratch:

That is a pie graph signifying the WU progress. There is a line to start and when your WU is completed there will be a whole circle. Glad to hear the 95 boxes are able to participate. :thumbsup:

If Folding starts crashing, the usual culprits are a) too much overclock and/or b) temps are too high under full load.

red777 - Do you mean the folding banners we have in our sigs? Regarding the team page, do you mean our stats page? Let me know and I'll answer your question. :)
  • Liquid81Liquid81 Westbrook,CT
    edited March 2005
    I also just joined.
    I dont know why, but this seems cool as hell.
    I am now folding on my 3.2 ghz main computer (high priority service), tonight I am sneaking it on my GFs laptop (she didnt want it for some reason), and 10 mins ago I bought 5 used Xboxs from ebay to mod- put linux on- and FOLD WITH THEM! I have this enclosed entertainment center from Ikea I am turning into an Xbox server rack. And I only joined 2 days ago. I am even regretting leaving my job as an IT guy for the Middlesex College. I could of had 70 computers folding proteins like oragami by now.

I have one question though. Is there a way to make FahCore use MORE CPU? Its so unintrusive on performance. I want to run dedicated machines that are doing nothing BUT Folding.
    edited March 2005
    G'day Liquid81, welcome. Great to have you onboard for such a worthy cause. :thumbsup:

My wife is the one who sets our computers up and has the (full) knowledge. We run mostly Intels, using HyperThreading.

Sally (the Handbrake) has set up 2 instances on each machine. 1 x GUI and 1 x Console. ID machine 1 and machine 2. As all they do is fold, there is nothing else to do but wait for the points to tally up. All full steam ahead. HyperThreading does NOT give you twice the points, however there is an increase % wise by doing 2 WU's.

The only time they will run less than full noise if a setting has been changed from 100% to say 70%. I would expect a normal installation will have them going as hard as they can, only slowing down somewhat through normal computer use, like me posting on the forum and surfing.

My AMD64 has 1 instance only as they don't HyperThread, however it does Work Units in pretty quick time. :)

Also more ram helps to get the BIG ones. Especially the newer ones as they tend to give bonus points. Just checked one of Sally's machines. It's a 3.2Gig, HyperThreading, 2x515 Meg ram, running at 3608Mhz. Must have raised the FSB. More power, more WU's. :thumbsup:

Any questions at all, there are some very experienced people here. Folding, computers, you name it, there is help.

F:fold:LD on.

Jon
    edited March 2005
    Coool. Wasn't expecting a reply at 4:35 am! That rules. I am going to install the GUI immediatley, thanx for the tip.
    edited March 2005
    Liquid81 wrote:
    Coool. Wasn't expecting a reply at 4:35 am! That rules. I am going to install the GUI immediatley, thanx for the tip.

4:35 am!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's (now) 5:50 pm here. Perth, west coast of Australia.

Short-Medians are everywhere. :D

A worldly lot. :) :canflag: :ausflag: :usflag: :sweflag: :ukflag: :welshflag

Make sure your computer has HT enabled in the bios, unless it was already so. :thumbsup:
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited March 2005
    red777 wrote:
    hi where do i get team home page and team logo
    thanx
    Don't know if this is what you want but I go here to see how I'm doing - http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=93&p=3

Liquid81, you can get help at S-M 24 hours a day, the sun never sets at Short-Media.
    Nice to see so many joining a great cause.
    :thumbsup:
  • edited March 2005
    Running one of the W95 over night. 233Mhz laptop. Did not up date the progress.
    Shut it down and fired it back up and the progress updated to 24/2500.
    Well have to see if it to will update after a restart.
    The W98 is still updating after the crash. Now at 3% 75/2500
    Do you think it would be worth it to fire it up on W95 166Mhz?
    edited March 2005
    Those figures aren't 'updating'. That's your progress. It can take a day or two to complete a work unit, those figures are how much of the current work unit has been completed. And yes, it's worth folding on anything, every little helps.
    edited March 2005
    General Keebler, I have sent emails out with links to this thread to try and get people interested. I know some of these people will read the first post so I have a request\suggestion, Could you make the links in the first post a different colour so they stand out as links? Unless people wave their mouse over the post it may not be obvious that there are links in there.
    Cheers.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2005
    Liquid: Folding will use all your computing power. It will take any spare computing cycles that the computer doesnt need for anything else. Putting it at high priority wont really help it much.

Let us know how the XBOX thing works out. I dont know of anyone else here that has done that. Then you could write a guide for us or something.:)
    edited March 2005
    Will do as soon as it dones. I thought the Xbox would be perfect because it doesnt use as much power as a PC, and works almost as hard.

As for the High priority, it didnt look like it made a difference to me either. It just frustrating to open my task manager and see my CPU slacking off. It says 51% is being used by FahCore_78 and the rest is system idle process. Wish there was a way to make system idle like 20%.