OS Setup Guide 2005

2»

Comments

• edited March 2005
    On the page streamline INTERNET EXPLORER, you said "I have use foresight in my drive planning and created a 10 GB partition at the end of the drive for temporary files." You mean 1 GB don't you?
    Great setup guide, thank you.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited March 2005
    10 GB 1 GB....o well. :)

1 GB would be the proper number.

About the print option. Tis a bug in the coding and it will be corrected in a future upgrade. Landscape printing will solve the problem...and my o my...never realized it was 81 pages. ;D
  • edited March 2005
    Hi guys, fantastic guide by the way, nice one. I had to admit I was stuck in the old way of thinking but your guide soon changed that. I just wanted to ask though, are these sizes ok for my partitions because I'm starting from scratch,

- 5GB for XP (only), 2GB for the Pagefile (I have 1GB of RAM, might be upgraded to 2GB later), 1GB for Temporary and 10GB for Backup (the remaining space will be used for program and storage partitions). I just wasn't sure how big I should make the Pagefile or Backup partitions and would really appreciate your thoughts, thanks. Karl
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited March 2005
    That sounds good to me. The pagefile really can never go away but the more ram you have...the less it is accessed. 2 GB will be more than enough for the next forseeable while.

I did make a scratch drive of 5 GB where I could put DVD files of 4.7 GB but in hindsight...I found this a little small. I use that same "scratch" drive for my multimedia programs to write temporary files to such as Photoshop. It can get full if you have and DVD files on it temporarily.

10 GB as a backup drive would probably give you space to make 2 complete backup files of your OS/Programs. Backup 01 then...a month later...Backup 02.

I leapfrog backups.

There is no real rule of thumb...just good advice to adapt to your own needs. Glad you enjoyed the guide.
  • edited March 2005
    Thanks MediaMan, you've been a great help. Keep up the good work!! Karl
  • The-Original-MadMatThe-Original-MadMat Montreal, Canada
    edited March 2005
    A little known fact is that when you setup your workstations never open Outlook, Outlook Express or any other mail transport first. This is what we tend to do because we want to setup the user's email account. You must open Microsoft Word or Excel and accept the agreement, then close the program. Now set up the email account. By doing this you avoid many problems. :thumbsup:
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited March 2005
    Why is this? What problems might you run into and in what context?
  • The-Original-MadMatThe-Original-MadMat Montreal, Canada
    edited March 2005
    Problems like loosing the address book (Win 2000) Outlook folders you cannot get rid of... etc..
  • edited May 2005
    i want 80gb parttion
  • edited May 2005
    So if I wanted to tidy things up via a new pagefile.sys on a sparklingly defragmented partition, I would...
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    So if I wanted to tidy things up via a new pagefile.sys on a sparklingly defragmented partition, I would...
    ...create a new partition of the appropriate size for your Page File, then go to
    System Properties>>Advanced>>Performance>>Settings>>Advanced>>Virtual Memory>>Change
    then move the pagefile to the new partition. Don't forget to remove it from the old location, else you'll have two of them.
  • edited May 2005
    Just found this site. I've been around a few years now but the guide is brilliant - and up to date! I'm doing this with Linux (and Firefox) which is my preferred choice now, but I do help a few friends and relations with their Windows and I still run it for some things. I found the advice on stopping "automatic" actions very useful.
  • edited December 2008
    Yo, I first used this guide when I installed my first HDD in 2005, when I found this guide on Short-Media. I recently installed a second drive, and panicked when I couldn't find this article, until I googled my way here. Whichever site had it first, I'm glad you have it now. I sent it to a PC savvy friend of mine, who learned some things from this. There's a lot more good advice here than simply partitioning! I kept both drives, and move the page file from one partition to the other, for perdiodic defrag. The only question I have is this: I made a 10Gb OS parition and moved over the OS from the original drive(was only a 6Gb partition on that drive). But this 10Gb quickly filled up after some Windows updates. Should the guide be updated for XP SP3 space requirements, or can I be deleting some leftover crap? Awsome job!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Thanks! We're still the same people that were behind Short-Media. We changed our name last year.

Here's our history. :)