Servers made simple

MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
Making the correct choices and implementing proper solutions begins with assessing business needs and requirements now and into the foreseeable future.

Read it here

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    The benchmark differences are absolutely insane. I mean, in some tests, the new server literally is ten times faster than the old.

Working on the dual opteron platform has been a dream. The P3 performed admirably considering what we put the poor dear through, but in the end, it's nice to have some leg room ;)

GREAT article, Doug.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited May 2005
    Nice Article - That's a serious upgrade from a P3.

MM - you forgot about the Opteron x52: (2.6ghz & SSE3) and the Opteron x65 (1.8ghz), x70 (2.0ghz), x75 (2.2ghz) Dual Core Series. on pg4
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I love our Opterons :D
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited May 2005
    Omega65 wrote:
    You forgot about the Opteron x52: (2.6ghz & SSE3) and the Opteron x65 (1.8ghz), x70 (2.0ghz), x75 (2.2ghz) Dual Core Series. on pg4

I left Dual Core out as the product is still very new to the server world at the time of this article. Dual Core is a variable in itself and a lot of long term data isn't available. The focus of the article wasn't so much WHICH product to buy but to encourage adoption of server technology or an uprgrade to current.

A lot of which comes from personal experience as a manager myself who is encouraging those above me to see beyond the capital costs to the benefits. Servers are business tools many are reluctant to invest in and even more reluctant to upgrade or optimize.