Gigabyte G-Power BL Heatsink

MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
edited September 2011 in Science & Tech
The Gigabyte G-Power BL is by far the best we've worked with yet.

Read it here

Comments

• edited May 2005
    Great review, this looks like a really nice cooler. I think I still might go for the AKASA (Evo 33) AK-913, it cooled an overclocked and over volted FX-55 to 16 degrees below the reference cooler on high and 14 on low! You can't beat the blue glow on this one though :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Doug, you mentioned that the heatpipes have a certain orientation they have to be in... does this mean that this cooler would only work properly in a tower case?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    The temps blow. :\
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited May 2005
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Doug, you mentioned that the heatpipes have a certain orientation they have to be in... does this mean that this cooler would only work properly in a tower case?

The orientation specification in the manual stated the cooler (socket 939/754) should be this way but no specific reason was given. I would assume the cooler would work horizontal or vertically mounted...else it'd be a pretty poor product.

Thrax wrote:
    The temps blow. :\

Alright my wise and mighty Thrax. What temps wouldn't blow at 23 dBA using that processor on that motherboard which has been known to run hotter than other motherboards?

Hmmm? And just don't give me a number in a reply. :)
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Considering Mediaman's got just about the warmest cpu out there (Clawhammer 1mb cache, same as FX), and a fan under 20dba, the temperatures is actually rather good.

One thing i noticed though...i can bet a sour Budweiser on that this cooler is made by Thermalright, or the company that produces Thermalright.
    edited May 2005
    The problem is, MM, is that you're concerned with dBA/temp.. whereas I'm not. So it's really apples/oranges. The only matter that concerns me with HSFs is weight, dimensions, and temperature.

I don't care if it sounds like a Vantec Tornado. I really don't.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Right but then there are many people to whom noise IS important, so your blanket statement of "the temps blow" is too general. I could say "Cars suck" because I prefer trucks, but then what kind of reaction would that get?
    edited May 2005
    You seem to be under the impression that I was referring to anyone's priorities other than my own when I said the temperatures blow. That's not the case. I was expressing <b><u><i>my</b></i></u> displeasure with the temperatures, so I fail to see where the argument is.
  • edited May 2005
    shouldn't the point be that if you took the fan off this heatsink and put it on a different one, would you get the same temperature results? maybe a direct comparison between this headsink and then another one using the same rated fan would be the way to go seeing as that would be the only way to find out if really the temps did "blow". (sorry if i have missed the mark, its late and i am tired)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Okay, I guess I fail to grasp the point or intent of your post, then. :-/
    edited May 2005
    -animal- wrote:
    shouldn't the point be that if you took the fan off this heatsink and put it on a different one, would you get the same temperature results? maybe a direct comparison between this headsink and then another one using the same rated fan would be the way to go seeing as that would be the only way to find out if really the temps did "blow". (sorry if i have missed the mark, its late and i am tired)

If only it were so easy. It looks like the fan is proprietary.
  • edited May 2005
    yeah it does looks a weird shape, what happens when the fan dies? Obviously this would be rare however if it were out of wwarranty surely you would be screwed...
  • MediaManMediaMan
    sighs...."nobody reads my reviews"

The fan is an 80mm. fan if memory serves correct and the clips will hold another 80mm. fan. Thrax's priority is basement temperatures regardless of noise. So for him the temps aren't good enough.

My point of view is that the temperatures are v...