My First Opteron :D

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited September 2003 in Hardware
So, yes, I have a customer who wants a killer Opteron system. The specs are huge, I'll share them in a bit, but I need to know one thing: Does anyone know if the OEM Opterons that you can get at Newegg come with HSFs? Or do I need to buy one seperate... And if so, what do I get?

<---opteron n00b (not for long :D)

Comments

• a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited August 2003
    I don't believe any OEM CPU comes with a heatsink or fan.

E-mail NewEgg just to make sure though.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    You get to touch one?!

I hate you.

<font size=-9>P.S.: PM me when you get it in, I want to come down to sarcnet and touch it.</font>
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    My First Opteron...by Fisher Price

newegg has 1 refurbed now :)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=343&manufactory=1028&Type=Refurbish&sortby=14&order=1

dunno if it's the right speed tho
  • edited August 2003
    AFAIK, all OEM procs don't come with a hsf. BTW, I see that Zalman makes 2 hsf's that are compatible with opteron. They are the CNPS7000-AlCu Aluminum + Copper for $34.99 and the CNPS7000-Cu Pure Copper for $41.99 at Newegg. They are a big, round orb type, but probably a lot better than Thermaltake's old crappy orbs. Look pretty cool.:cool:

EDIT: I take that back; it says for Athlon64, not Opteron. I don't know if the hsf's are interchangeable between Opteron and Athlon64 as they are different socket types.:scratch:
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    The OEMs come sans fan and typically with shorter warranty- check both please.

If need retail for fan and Warranty, Talk to Monarch Computers (in Georgia). They are building Opteron blade boxes now and got CPUs today. They are An AMD Platinum Partner direct program participant.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/ , which started taking preorders a week plus ago with ship note of August 19th. 1-800-611-0875 They have been in the business almost as long as NewEgg and are less known but treat customers VERY well and will transfer you up mgt levels easily if needed. They ship precisely as promised.

NewEgg for HDs, though --unless you are gettign a complete build and then the HD pricing should be comparable at at Monarch. If anyone wants a gaming box, check there also, they have four bundles of which 2-3 are configurable and do not charge much to prebuild.

They can use FedEx and Airborne if needs for quick, otherwise the boxes arrive double boxed with so many peanuts my last prebuild outer box was half full AFTER the inner box was out of it(they use 4-6 inches of peanuts on prebuilds typcially all around). They get almost ZERO returns due to shipping or roughness in shipping and they are one of the few that I will literally trust to ship boxes UPS even with its 6' drop in sorting hubs in several hubs.

For gaming rigs other than promo, they offer 2 day ship. Ask them about build time, see how busy they are, and you can web track your build as it builds. If you think prices are high, call them and quote the price and where you can get things a lot cheaper. They also config, I KNOW, linux boxes and blades adn offer preconfig for most things on request (ask about fees, but they have been building linux boxes for at least 5 years). Who knows, you could get BSD boxes maybe from them too.

I have spent between me and clients over $6,000.00 with them, ZERO returns or dissatisfactions. They even have Quadros in stock usually (Also GeForce FXs that are excellent) and the rest of gear to go with it. So for a bundler, you might get a quote and tell them the guy in Florida who said he'd send folks there is living up to his end of the bargain because they ROCK! BIG TIME!
    edited August 2003
    They charge $20 for a generic 3 LED fan. :eek2:

Rip off.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    lol @ thrax

Dude, when I get the stuff in, I'll call you. I plan on doing some photos/writeups of an opteron build for a short-media article.

And, guys... This is the good bit:

Of course, I'll have to burn it in before I give it to the customer.

Of course, we all know what burning in involves.

Of course, yes, it will turn in some WUs for team 93.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    :respect:
    Of course, yes, it will turn in some WUs for team 93.
    :fold:

fc
    edited August 2003
    Excellent! When it gets in, I'll drop ya my phone # and bring along a buddy who can drive. I KNOW he'll want to see it...Which works out very nicely for me! :D
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Thrax said
    Excellent! When it gets in, I'll drop ya my phone # and bring along a buddy who can drive. I KNOW he'll want to see it...Which works out very nicely for me! :D

Sounds like you should charge admission, prime :)
    edited August 2003
    Admission my ass. If me +1 = admission, and me alone != admission, then I = coming alone. ;D
  • SputnikSputnik Worcester, MA
    edited August 2003
    why can't i live in detroit? aw..... have fun guys with that chip!

or 2? is it gonna be a dually? or better yet- quad proc?
    edited August 2003
    Specs so far:

Opteron 144
    Asus SK8N
    4x 512mb Corsair
    Matrox Millenium P750
    MOTU 2408 pro audio card
    4x 250gb WD SATA (yes, 1 TB in raid 0)
    2x Viewsonic 17" TFT LCD

See? Monster.

Before we decided on the SK8N he was gonna put an LSI MegaRaid 150-6 in there, which is a 64mb caching hardware raid controller for SATA. I think we still might do that.

Obviously, this machine is going to be for video editing, as you can see. I'm still up in the air about case/psu and hsf. Any suggestions?
    edited August 2003
    Corsair sells ECC/Registered DDR?
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    with that much stuff id make sure it was a LARGE case with plenty ofroom for air flow
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Thrax said
    You get to touch one?!

I hate you.

P.S.: PM me when you get it in, I want to come down to sarcnet and touch it.

Thrax, I saw & built one first :p (months ago down @ MSI)

I know prime is gonna have the time of his life with this. It's so cool putting one together and just seeing them!! :D
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2003
    Here's a case suggestion.....

Lite-on FS-020 $96 + shipping

3 - 120mm Fan mounts!

Front

Inside

Back
    edited August 2003
    Dammit Shorty, I know you did! STFU man! ;D

---

If the memory isn't ECC/Registered, remember it won't work. Also remember Hynix makes ECC/Registered DDR400. :D

I'm gonna get to TOUCH OOOOONE.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited August 2003
    I bet he uses the machine for pr0n video editing. :(
    edited August 2003
    Thrax said
    If the memory isn't ECC/Registered, remember it won't work. Also remember Hynix makes ECC/Registered DDR400. :D

Who's selling it???
    edited August 2003
    Not sure. I just know one can acquire it, I also know that HardOCP used some in their QuakeCon '03 rig.
    edited August 2003
    From Asus' website on the page for SK8N:
    edited August 2003
    I found retail 144s on Newegg. Mobo and Proc are on their way.
    edited August 2003
    NewEgg didn't want to help me pick out the memory :werr: They said "We're not technicians, only retailers".. Bwah.

So, any suggestions as to RAM? I need 2x512 and I'd prefer dual channel mode if possible, but it's not a strict requirement.
    edited August 2003
    Samsung Registered ECC PC2700 512MB (currently free shipping)
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I forgot to tell you in the AIM convo today prime how much of a lucky sob u are!!
    edited August 2003
    Thanks, Omega!!!!
    edited August 2003
    primesuspect said
    Thanks, Omega!!!!

De Nada

Just take lot's of Pictures of the assembly! :)
    edited August 2003
    Parts are coming in now. Today I got the retail Opteron 144 and the Asus SK8N mobo:

:thumbsup:
    opt_package.jpg

When I unpacked the motherboard, the first thing that struck me as being different was the huge steel brace on the back side of the board:

sk8n_brace.jpg

I'm thinking, "Wow.. The retention mechanism must lay down an incredible amount of force" for this thing to be necessary. :eek2:

Next, the backplate is considerably different from standard ATX:

sk8n_atxplate.jpg

Notice the four USB ports and the firewire port. Nice!

Finally, a shot of the SK8N's layout:

sk8n_layout.jpg

When the rest of the parts come in, me and Thrax will put together an article about it, replete with plenty of benchies, pics, and of course folding performance.
    :D
    edited August 2003
    Aw schucks. I've not been forgotten! :D