Tech Tips: Rewire USB Ports

MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
edited September 2011 in Science & Tech
Could the USB ports on a PCI bracket at the rear of the case be spliced to the USB ports at the front of the PC Case? The rules of technology can be bent but sometimes they snap back.

Read it here

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2004
    Another ones of MM's ingenious ideas.

Sounds like it should work tho. That can be kinda handy if you dont have enough USB ports.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited May 2004
    Nice Article MM! :thumbup
  • edited May 2004
    That all very good but what happens when you open your case to try something like this and you find.....................usbcable1.jpgimg]
  • edited May 2004
    Sorry above link should have been :-
    [url=]http://www.flyservers.com/members5/bernievink.com/images/USBcable1.jpg[/url]
    still was a lot of trouble soldering a large number of wires and then making sure of the right connections. eventually all worked but it was a struggle
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited May 2004
    Nice article, MM :thumbsup: Nice way to give a choice of where to plug in. I have two black versions of that case, the PC-61, I think, so I could relate easier.

Unregistered: No pain, no gain mate, basically, but it's good to see you got it sorted :)
  • edited October 2004
    I tried this without knowing about the multiple device problem (etc.). And I had problems with it. So this idea won't work for me, but at least now I know why! Excellent article including "pictures with circles and arrows on the back of each one."
  • edited June 2005
    Similar mod but on the notebook motherboard:
    http://www.notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=92207

Thanks for the article, it helped me in the mod!
  • edited June 2006
    Yes, your ports are mutually exclusive. And your description of "Mine" is a good theory, but it isn't about who is powered. Many devices (like your camera and printer are separately powered. A better metaphore would be listening to two people send you morse code on the same line. If one person sent dot dot dash while the second person was sending dash dash, you would only hear the dashes. From the point of view of the listener you are just going to hear a whole lot of dashes. The information from both senders is destroyed and unrecoverable.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    MediaMan wrote:
    Could the USB ports on a PCI bracket at the rear of the case be spliced to the USB ports at the front of the PC Case? The rules of technology can be bent but sometimes they snap back....

Hi All
    I'm fairly new to SM and am still learning my way 'round the site. I've been trying to get at some of the Articles but, in a few cases so far, can only find their corresponding threads - not the articles themselves. Some I've found a link to the article in the 1st post of the thread but others I have not (e.g. Dual Core Explained & Demystified).

Could you, please, tell me how I might find these articles?

Thank you!!
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited January 2007
    Hey Pterocarpous! :)

Links to Articles should be on the first page. The "here" part "Read it here" is the link to the Article.

Link to the Article you could not find:
    http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=261

Hope that helps! :)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    You can actually browse by category on the front page. Click the "Reviews & Articles" tab. Now, it looks like a blank page, but it's not. There's a table element out of whack and the list appears after the END of the left column instead of next to it. I've tried to fix it but I can't figure out which table element it is :-/ Sorry for the inconvenience, and let me know if you need help finding anything in particular. There will be an easier system in place by the end of the month :)
    edited January 2007
    ...You can actually browse by category on the front page...
    Trogan wrote:
    ...Links to Articles should be on the first page. The "here" part...
    Thank you General. I did finally stumble onto the front page and found the articles listed there. I spend so much time in the forums, I forgot all about the home or front page of SM's site.

Thank you, too Trogan. It was via the embedded hyperlinks in the threads that I had been able to find some of the articles. Thank you for the link to the review.

The other day, I tried to find a Sticky that referenced some technical "how to" info. I'd run across the Sticky b4 and wanted to provide a link to it for someone in one of the forums. (sorry, I just plain can't remember what it was about now - old age - it's already fallen outta the back 'o mah haid!) I tried "Search"ing but no worky.

Is there an index of all the Sticky's per chance?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Sorry, no sticky index :-/ Just gotta check the individual forums.
    I forgot all about the home or front page of SM's site.
    I get this a lot :( I have a plan to change that as well, though.
    edited January 2007
    Sorry, no sticky index :-/ Just gotta check the individual forums...I get this a lot :( I have a plan to change that as well, though.

Rats! Well, I know it takes a helluva lot o' upkeep to maintain this forum and ya'll are all volunteers for the most part. You're doin' one hec of a job BTW! So, if you get to the index, f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s. If not, I certainly understand. I'll just have to pay attention to where I find stuff! :tongue:
  • edited February 2010
    thanks for this:i'm going to take the board out of a usb hub i have and strip it, add the header plug and plug it into the header port (should stand up like a damn board extension) then plug other header into it voila home brew internal, switching usb header extender
  • clifford_cooleyclifford_cooley Arkansas, USA Member
    edited February 2010
    Or you could just buy one for $20 - NZXT USB Expansion and why it can help
  • edited September 2011
    Hi, I have an embroidery sewing machine which has a usb port. I got it refurbished from overstock.com the machine I bought was a brothers se350 which are not suppose to have usb ports. the Se400 has the port. Any how mind has a usb port and it is not connected to the computer board that is in the sewing machine. Can you tell me how to hook it up.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    whatlaptop.jpg

Just plug it in.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Lydia Hill wrote:
    Hi, I have an embroidery sewing machine which has a usb port. I got it refurbished from overstock.com the machine I bought was a brothers se350 which are not suppose to have usb ports. the Se400 has the port. Any how mind has a usb port and it is not connected to the computer board that is in the sewing machine. Can you tell me how to hook it up.

If I'm reading this right, you have a SE350, and the refurb guys put a USB port into the case somehow? Are you sure that they didn't send you a SE400? It would be a really strange thing for a USB port to magically appear on a SE350.

If you do have an SE350 with a USB port, there wont be anything you can do. The SE350 only supports programming from the on-device screen, so the computer board inside will not have connections for a USB port.

If you have a SE400, it should already be hooked up, and if somehow it's not, then you need to return it for more service. However, the SE400 only has a USB port for updating the software, you can't program the device from the PC or hook up a mouse.