Game stutter ...

MikeybobMikeybob Middle o' Farmer Land
edited October 2005 in Gaming
Noticed it today when I was playing Quake 4. The sound often stutters, especially during speach, and the graphics too. Tried to plauy Lost Coast and found the same problems. The game stutters a lot the runs smooth then stutters again. It doesn't make the games unplayable just makes it pretty annoying.

I don't know if this a DX 9 problem because all my old HL games run fine. Anyone have any ideas?

Specs:
X800 XT PE
64 3500
1 Gig DDR.

DX 9.c
Latest ATI drivers

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    have you tried backing off the video quality a notch?
  • MikeybobMikeybob Middle o' Farmer Land
    edited October 2005
    They're both running at 1024 at around medium quality. My card shoudl easily be capable of running that. It did so before. I managed to run HL2 at max everything before with no issues :/.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited October 2005
    What kind of sound card?
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited October 2005
    I have the same problem in Q4... it seems when it loads in new models it does that for me. Rig1 in my sig.
  • edited October 2005
    Whats your memory usage like? You could always bench your hard drive too see if its running as it should...
  • triliniumtrilinium Auckland, New Zealand!
    edited October 2005
    Yeah I have that problem as well but only in Dawn of War... even at lowest detail settings and i have a 6800gt
    edited October 2005
    what is your opengl setting?
    edited October 2005
    I'm using my on-board Realtek AC'97 sound. The drivers are latest I believe (A378).

My OpenGL settings are:
    opengl_settings.jpg
    rapture-IC wrote:
    Whats your memory usage like? You could always bench your hard drive too see if its running as it should...

Lol, what is it that and what does ir do? And how do I find that out? lol :P
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    It sounds like memory usage, basically this happens whenever the game has to load something new...
    edited October 2005
    Is there a way to sort it?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Not really, more RAM and uber fast hard drives can help minimise it, but this is what gaming is always like when it strains the system... (best thing to do is when the map/whatever loads, turn around spinning up and down etc and let it load as much as possible at once so it doesn't have to do it as you're going along).
    edited October 2005
    I have a gig of Corsair lol. That should be ample to run two copies of Quake 4 similtaneously. There must be some fix for it. Perhaps if I increased the VRAM?

[edit]

HL2 suffers from stutters randomly but most noticably when there were a lot of Combine shooting at me.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    1gb typically isn't enough to run most of today's high-end games at the performance discerning gamers demand.
  • edited October 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    1gb typically isn't enough to run most of today's high-end games at the performance discerning gamers demand.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    That game rapes my 3800+ X2 with a 6600gt

I had to turn the Shadows off and now i run smooooooooooooth
    edited October 2005
    That game rapes my 3800+ X2 with a 6600gt

I had to turn the Shadows off and now i run smooooooooooooth

aha ...break out the trusty Q4 tweak guide and write that autoexec.cfg!

http://www.viperlair.com/articles/howto/software/tweakq4/
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited October 2005
    I run Quake 4, HL2, Far cry and now COD 2 at max settings with no stutters what so ever. With only a AMD 3200 winney. I only have 1 gig of ram but it is pretty good memory. Patriot dual channel XBLK. Do you have a lot of processes running in the background? When I hit my alt control delete there is only 20 processes running. Check to make sure you don't have a whole lot of crap useing your memory. Graphics card is Leadtek 6800GT.
    edited October 2005
    Thrax wrote:

Yeah, but HL2 and Doom 3 used to run fine. I can't understand why suddenly Quake and HL2 get messy.
    ronbo wrote:
    I run Quake 4, HL2, Far cry and now COD 2 at max settings with no stutters what so ever. With only a AMD 3200 winney. I only have 1 gig of ram but it is pretty good memory. Patriot dual channel XBLK. Do you have a lot of processes running in the background? When I hit my alt control delete there is only 20 processes running. Check to make sure you don't have a whole lot of crap useing your memory. Graphics card is Leadtek 6800GT.

I've run Spybot and AdAware they haven't found anything. After just couting I have about 31 processes running. I do have a couple of apps open atm though.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited October 2005
    Mikeybob, you have a pretty high end system and you should not be having these problems. Don't dispair, someone will figure this out for you. Do you have a good quality and powerfull enough power supply to run your system? :scratch::scratch:

ps..is your system running cool? Do you have enough venting in your case to remove the heat? Look in your case and make sure the graphics card fan is running. You said HL2 and Doom 3 "used "to run fine so something in your computer has changed ....
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I had a well typed out responce yesterday to this thread, until my toe tripped the power switch on my strip.

Anyways, if you could get rid of those extra processes running in the background, it may help. Q4 is a new game utilizing new technologies meaning MORE system resources to run well. Since I haven't played it yet, I'll use Everquest 2 as and example.... there is NO system out yet that can run Evercrack II at full settings. And it's been out for a while now.

Quake 4 hasn't been out long... maybe a patch will fix some of those issues(in fact I bet they will), but just because someone can run a similar setup and run smoothly, doesn't mean you will. But try out a services tweak guide, which will help you determine which services need to be running, and which ones you don't. It will help minimize your systems used resources and give you more memory to use for that game. Turning off IM programs, and other things you won't be using while playing a game helps as well.

It really does seem like a memory thing, simply not enough. XPTeakguides should be good for you to check out :thumbsup:
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited October 2005
    RWB brings up a lot of good tips here . Another thing most people forget is virus scanners. You DO NOT need a virus scanner running when you are in a game, even on line games. The thing that puzzles me most is you said the games "used" to run fine? That tells me something is breaking down or has changed...maybe try a memtest
    edited October 2005
    ronbo wrote:
    Mikeybob, you have a pretty high end system and you should not be having these problems. Don't dispair, someone will figure this out for you. Do you have a good quality and powerfull enough power supply to run your system? :scratch::scratch:

ps..is your system running cool? Do you have enough venting in your case to remove the heat? Look in your case and make sure the graphics card fan is running. You said HL2 and Doom 3 "used "to run fine so something in your computer has changed ....

Lol thanks mate. It's nice to have some hope lol.

Yeah I just bought a hefty Antec PSU which should be fine. The fan is spinning, or so my Cool Drive tells me. And I there should be enough fans in the PC to keep it cool. According to me Cool Drive:

VGA: 45-47 Degrees C (I'm using an Arctic Cooler ATI Silencer 4. I used to have a AC S4 Rev. 2 which kept my VGA at about 37 for desktop but that broke).

HDD: 31 C
    CPU: 35-40 C
    Mobo: 31 C.
  • edited October 2005
    2 GB of memory will solve your problems.

I gained like 20 fps and no more stuttering in multiple games.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    You could also play with the texture settings a bit... I don't know what it's like in game, but maybe if you can lower it just a bit where you don't even notice it that could help out a bit more. Or in your driver setting, if you have it on max, try setting the texture down a notch, you won't notice it anywhere but in the performance gain.
    edited October 2005
    Thanks for all the response guys. I only just found all your posts, didn't realise there was a second page lol.

Anyway, since my last Windows install I've had a new mobo and chip. Could that have brought about some of these issues. I can't honestly remember if the games ran that well since the new hardware though.

[edit]

Forgot to mention. I tried turning shadows off, as GnomeWizardd suggested and then Quake 4 started running smooth. Mind you everything else was on low too. Bit annoying that I have this nice card and can't play games to its optiumum.

[edit #2]

Just as a small curiousity. Does anyone know if they have discontinued the AC ATI Silencer 4 Rev. 2? I'm having a mission finding one.

[edit #3]

While trying to play Dystopia (HL2 Mod) I get massive lag. The game stutters constantly. Until recently I have never had a problem with this game. I could run it happily on max erverything with no problems at all.

I can only assume that it's not a lack of memory causing this problem then.